Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Or do you know your opinions are right and no one on a chat forum can change your mind about real life issues?

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down


The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by eddie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Listen. You trashed this place on flap and now you trash flap, on here.

Do you see where the problem might lie?

Answer the post, not the poster and you'll find you will feel far happier.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32225
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Original Quill on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:02 pm

eddie wrote:Listen. You trashed this place on flap and now you trash flap, on here.

Do you see where the problem might lie?

Answer the post, not the poster and you'll find you will feel far happier.

Well...I'd like to know when that trashing took place, eds. There was a time when this place didn't treat scrat the best it could, and humans are after all only human.

As far as the underlying topic, I think you are a little right-of-center. But that's ok. And yes, some of the RW posters give you a hard time, but it has little to do with politics. It has more to do with you not catering/joining to their little gang...and that's a good thing.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20511
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Listen. You trashed this place on flap and now you trash flap, on here.

Do you see where the problem might lie?

Answer the post, not the poster and you'll find you will feel far happier.

Well...I'd like to know when that trashing took place, eds.  There was a time when this place didn't treat scrat the best it could, and humans are after all only human.

As far as the underlying topic, I think you are a little right-of-center.  But that's ok.  And yes, some of the RW posters give you a hard time, but it has little to do with politics.  It has more to do with you not catering/joining to their little gang...and that's a good thing.
What 'gang' is this then Quill. I see the accusation flung about now and again, but from where I sit the very people who talk of 'gangs' are the same ones who try to create divides.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Original Quill on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Well...I'd like to know when that trashing took place, eds.  There was a time when this place didn't treat scrat the best it could, and humans are after all only human.

As far as the underlying topic, I think you are a little right-of-center.  But that's ok.  And yes, some of the RW posters give you a hard time, but it has little to do with politics.  It has more to do with you not catering/joining to their little gang...and that's a good thing.
What 'gang' is this then Quill. I see the accusation flung about now and again, but from where I sit the very people who talk of 'gangs' are the same ones who try to create divides.

My goodness...look who protests too much. And I didn't even have you in mind.

Oh well...you get to throw the line in, but you don't get to choose which fish bites. Razz

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20511
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:
What 'gang' is this then Quill. I see the accusation flung about now and again, but from where I sit the very people who talk of 'gangs' are the same ones who try to create divides.

My goodness...look who protests too much.  And I didn't even have you in mind.

Oh well...you get to throw the line in, but you don't get to choose which fish bites. Razz

I'm not protesting, I am asking a question.
Nice bit of swerving though Quill...... Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Original Quill on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:29 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

My goodness...look who protests too much.  And I didn't even have you in mind.

Oh well...you get to throw the line in, but you don't get to choose which fish bites. Razz

I'm not protesting, I am asking a question.
Nice bit of swerving though Quill...... Razz

Well, it's lighthearted. But I do believe that eds strives to maintain her objectivity most times, and that gets her into hot water sometimes.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20511
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

I'm not protesting, I am asking a question.
Nice bit of swerving though Quill...... Razz

Well, it's lighthearted.  But I do believe that eds strives to maintain her objectivity most times, and that gets her into hot water sometimes.  

I have always said it's really difficult to be a popular outspoken poster and a mod on the same forum.
I honestly think she does a brilliant job of handling both...but there will always be some disgruntled posters who look for fault.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by nicko on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 pm

If you want to talk about gangs, How about Sassy, Handy Andy, Irn Brew ,Scat and Ziz, who's just here for the stirring.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8538
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by nicko on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 pm

If you want to talk about gangs, How about Sassy, Handy Andy, Irn Brew ,Scat and Ziz, who's just here for the stirring.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8538
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by nicko on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Double post but the truth is here.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8538
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:03 pm

nicko wrote:If you want to talk about gangs,    How about Sassy,  Handy Andy, Irn Brew ,Scat and Ziz, who's just here for the stirring.

I don't know any of them any more than I know you - I leave gangs to right-whingers and Gary Glitter.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Original Quill on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:05 pm

nicko wrote:If you want to talk about gangs,    How about Sassy,  Handy Andy, Irn Brew ,Scat and Ziz, who's just here for the stirring.

I don't see any gang there. Irn is one of the nicest, most reasonable of guys you could meet. Handy Andy and Scrat are too independent of mind to form into a gang. Likewise Ziz...and I disagree with you. He's not stirring. Sassy has always got a mind of her own.

It is true that if you are a bit right-leaning, you are going to get a response from any of the above. But you make that choice, not them.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20511
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:08 pm

Could it not just be that some people agree with some posters more than others?
I have seen a bit of tag teaming here, and certain people do like a bit of back up when they start on someone...not that much though, and compared to some other forums it's peace's own on here. Laughing

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Syl wrote:Could it not just be that some people agree with some posters more than others?
I have seen a bit of tag teaming here, and certain people do like a bit of back up when they start on someone...not that much though, and compared to some other forums it's peace's own on here. Laughing

This is the roughest forum I'm a member of - I don't know where you hang out. Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:Could it not just be that some people agree with some posters more than others?
I have seen a bit of tag teaming here, and certain people do like a bit of back up when they start on someone...not that much though, and compared to some other forums it's peace's own on here. Laughing

This is the roughest forum I'm a member of - I don't know where you hang out. Laughing

lol!
Night Ziz....all.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:32 pm

scrat wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
scrat wrote:
What would be the point in that my threads are automatically locked?

run run runaway
I stood ready and willing to reply to your complete and utter nonsense, the thread was then locked and I rapidly lost interest.  I notice how you deal with dissent, you ban it, that's what Hitler did, out of sight out of mind,

I, you seem to have missed...did not lock the thread......

and you have had plenty of opportunities since...the truth is YOU havnt any "evidence" I know this for a fact

lost interest....more like lost your marbles


_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8913
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:06 pm

now I know you have neither brains nor what would be assumed to stem from te posession of said equipment....

nothing to stop you posting that supposed evidence right here and now...or even in its own thread....

the only thing stopping you is lack therof....

you have zero credibility........


_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8913
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Eilzel on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:52 pm

scrat wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

I'm as intolerant or RW extremism as you are Scrat, and have no time for Nationalism and such. And yes, I was and remain a Liberal Democrat, but I'm a more Kennedy-esque liberal, which in my honest opinion was Left of New Labour. Now Labour are starting to sing a tune I like, just a shame they have an awkward, charisma lacking Corbyn as leader right now...

As for the clash between you and Eds, let's be fair Scrat, you do have a tendency to fly off on one. Eds doesn't have a flock. She gets as much flack from one side as the other. Try to see things from her pov Smile
Its my red hair, I thought that I was bad enough at holding a grudge, but special Eds has me beaten hands down on this one.

The libdems are middle of the road, in fact I'd say they're actually right of centre these days, but as I don't have a section for those I'll bung them in with the middle of the road, which is where I'd place you, it's not a bad place to be, but it doesn't do any good either.

As for your tolerance, you tolerate monkey boys forum, I think I'd struggle with that if I was a homosexual, especially considering the disgusting homophobic tendencies of that place, something it's being investigated for, perhaps you'll act in his defence, because perhaps you think you should just roll with it, like the females on Majors sexist thread, I see that TC is referring to Phil, I didn't know that Phil posted here or is he warbling about the Didglet, it's hard to tell,,,,,anyway I think Phil has exactly the right attitude when dealing with monkey boys homophobic cretins.

You think the pro-EU, marijuana legalising Lib Dems are centre-right? Really?

As to other forums, I rarely post there, and never respond to racist or homophobic idiots- not worth my time.

Honestly Scrat, I think you stick to party politics too much. Left and Right and in between goes for beyond what our 3 mainstream parties off, which ultimately are slight variations and nothing more.

I challenge intelligent RWers like tommy here often enough, but I won't bother with isiots elsewhere. I support total nationalisation of public services, high taxes on corporations, free but quality education and healthcare, banning faith schools and so on. Labour are on my side on most those things, but have proven incompetent and show no signs of improvement.

Given that, I find it bizarre anyone could see my view as middle of the road unless they are in bed with Lenin himself Wink

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 5923
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:02 am

I support taxpayer funded public services being in the public sector, a fair rate of tax on businesses and corporations with all actually paying it on profits made in each country to each country, not offshore tax loopholes etc... I support quality education and nhs funded by taxpayer, support all schools being required to teach national curriculum not religious or politically or sexually biased agendas...



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 19214
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:33 am

Tommy Monk wrote:I support taxpayer funded public services being in the public sector, a fair rate of tax on businesses and corporations with all actually paying it on profits made in each country to each country, not offshore tax loopholes etc... I support quality education and nhs funded by taxpayer, support all schools being required to teach national curriculum not religious or politically or sexually biased agendas...



... for native-born white Britons, to conclude your thught.

_________________
“A ‘job creator’ is someone who figures out how to threaten you with starvation unless you do something you don’t want to do."

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 23003
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Lib dems are the piggy in the middle of the liblabcon

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 19214
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Yeah, Bae-Bae wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:I support taxpayer funded public services being in the public sector, a fair rate of tax on businesses and corporations with all actually paying it on profits made in each country to each country, not offshore tax loopholes etc... I support quality education and nhs funded by taxpayer, support all schools being required to teach national curriculum not religious or politically or sexually biased agendas...



... for native-born white Britons, to conclude your thught.


No... for all British citizens.

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 19214
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Jules on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:
What 'gang' is this then Quill. I see the accusation flung about now and again, but from where I sit the very people who talk of 'gangs' are the same ones who try to create divides.


My goodness...look who protests too much.  
And I didn't even have you in mind
.


If this isn't groundhog day, I don't know what is.
This is a carbon copy replica of what happened the previous day.
You say something and someone who was the very last person on your mind, thinks you were referring to them,
and thus makes a post "to defend themselves". This caused a row.


Another thing: I had every right to call myself a newbie when I joined because hell, that is EXACTLY what I was.
I was 100% brand new to the forum, what the hell should I have called myself????
Just because I knew a couple of the names of members, out of dozens of names - does not change the fact that I was a newbie here.

And syl, that bizzare post you made saying I singled a couple of your posts out to pretend I was new to you, it makes zero sense. Perhaps you would do me a massive favour and flag up the posts you were referring to??/
, cos tbh,  that is yet another thing you imagined in your head- along with imagining that everything people say, it's you they are referring to you.



_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Jules on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm not looking for another row, btw.
This isn't the sort of thread I would ever post in.
But I just HAD to make that crucial point.
Otherwise I would not have come near this thread.
I deliberately keep out of all arguments on here.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Eilzel on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:17 pm

scrat wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

You think the pro-EU, marijuana legalising Lib Dems are centre-right? Really?

As to other forums, I rarely post there, and never respond to racist or homophobic idiots- not worth my time.

Honestly Scrat, I think you stick to party politics too much. Left and Right and in between goes for beyond what our 3 mainstream parties off, which ultimately are slight variations and nothing more.

I challenge intelligent RWers like tommy here often enough, but I won't bother with isiots elsewhere. I support total nationalisation of public services, high taxes on corporations, free but quality education and healthcare, banning faith schools and so on. Labour are on my side on most those things, but have proven incompetent and show no signs of improvement.

Given that, I find it bizarre anyone could see my view as middle of the road unless they are in bed with Lenin himself Wink
Anyone who votes libdem is middle of the road, they voted for austerity, they voted for tuition fees and they kept a far right extremist government in power, anyone who voted for them is lucky that my generosity allows them to be regarded by me as middle of the road, this and the fact that politics has been dragged so far to the right that a vote for austerity is now considered centre ground.

As for Labour not improving, well that also backs up my assessment because Jeremy Corbyn is the best event in British politics in my lifetime.

And I would not brush aside your involvement with an intolerant racist, bigoted and  homophobic forum so casually, but there's no point dwelling on it.

No, Lez, considering your actions over your words, I'd say that you were pretty much middle of the road, a little left here and a little right there.

I totally disagree, but it isn't important in any case.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 5923
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Eilzel wrote:
scrat wrote:
Its my red hair, I thought that I was bad enough at holding a grudge, but special Eds has me beaten hands down on this one.

The libdems are middle of the road, in fact I'd say they're actually right of centre these days, but as I don't have a section for those I'll bung them in with the middle of the road, which is where I'd place you, it's not a bad place to be, but it doesn't do any good either.

As for your tolerance, you tolerate monkey boys forum, I think I'd struggle with that if I was a homosexual, especially considering the disgusting homophobic tendencies of that place, something it's being investigated for, perhaps you'll act in his defence, because perhaps you think you should just roll with it, like the females on Majors sexist thread, I see that TC is referring to Phil, I didn't know that Phil posted here or is he warbling about the Didglet, it's hard to tell,,,,,anyway I think Phil has exactly the right attitude when dealing with monkey boys homophobic cretins.

You think the pro-EU, marijuana legalising Lib Dems are centre-right? Really?

As to other forums, I rarely post there, and never respond to racist or homophobic idiots- not worth my time.

Honestly Scrat, I think you stick to party politics too much. Left and Right and in between goes for beyond what our 3 mainstream parties off, which ultimately are slight variations and nothing more.

I challenge intelligent RWers like tommy here often enough, but I won't bother with isiots elsewhere. I support total nationalisation of public services, high taxes on corporations, free but quality education and healthcare, banning faith schools and so on. Labour are on my side on most those things, but have proven incompetent and show no signs of improvement.


Given that, I find it bizarre anyone could see my view as middle of the road unless they are in bed with Lenin himself Wink


I support taxpayer funded public services being in the public sector, a fair rate of tax on businesses and corporations with all actually paying it on profits made in each country to each country, not offshore tax loopholes etc... I support quality education and nhs funded by taxpayer, support all schools being required to teach national curriculum not religious or politically or sexually biased agendas...

So that makes me RW (or extreme far right as some others try to call me) how exactly...?

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 19214
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Jules wrote:
Original Quill wrote:


My goodness...look who protests too much.  
And I didn't even have you in mind
.


If this isn't groundhog day, I don't know what is.
This is a carbon copy replica of what happened the previous day.
You say something and someone who was the very last person on your mind, thinks you were referring to them,
and thus makes a post "to defend themselves". This caused a row.


Another thing: I had every right to call myself a newbie when I joined because hell, that is EXACTLY what I was.
I was 100% brand new to the forum, what the hell should I have called myself????
Just because I knew a couple of the names of members, out of dozens of names - does not change the fact that I was a newbie here.

And syl, that bizzare post you made saying I singled a couple of your posts out to pretend I was new to you, it makes zero sense. Perhaps you would do me a massive favour and flag up the posts you were referring to??/
, cos tbh,  that is yet another thing you imagined in your head- along with imagining that everything people say, it's you they are referring to you.



It's nothing like what happened the previous day.... You said it was sycophantic to call Eddie MISS Eddie, I politely pointed out I had done this a couple of times for a joke.
You barged in saying I was defending another poster......I had no idea you were talking about anyone else, I was merely answering your point about adding 'Miss' to someones name.


On this thread I asked Quill a question, he mentioned gangs, I asked who he meant. I don't belong to a gang so obviously he didn't mean me.

And as you ask so nicely Yes, I can single out a post (and there are others)where you pretended you hardly knew me, or other posters here.

by Jules on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:57 pm
"I'm new here and I like both of you, Syl and Quill. It looks more like a personality clash between you two, than serious acrimony. I hope you both resolve your differences eventually. x"



You said this on a different forum months earlier after talking about NF and the posters here...
"There are some cold hearted guys & gals on there and they are so predictable, you know exactly what they are going to post on every thread before you read it. They have become caricatures of themselves. (Syl is reasonably OK on there, btw. )
I have to say I feel better now that I've left off steam. "



I hope that answers your question.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Jules on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 pm

Syl wrote:
It's nothing like what happened the previous day....  
Wrong, it's everything like what happened the previous day because in both cases you found yourself being told "it wasn't you I was referring to, thou dost protest too much" I have never seen you adding 'miss' to anyone's name and I would not care, or comment if you did. I would mind my own business - perhaps that is something you may wish to try, one day.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Syl wrote:
by Jules on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:57 pm
"I'm new here and I like both of you, Syl and Quill. It looks more like a personality clash between you two, than serious acrimony. I hope you both resolve your differences eventually. x"
You said this on a different forum months earlier after talking about NF and the posters here...
"There are some cold hearted guys & gals on there and they are so predictable, you know exactly what they are going to post on every thread before you read it. They have become caricatures of themselves. (Syl is reasonably OK on there, btw. ) I have to say I feel better now that I've left off steam. "

.

I cannot believe my eyes. Shocked  Shocked  So the best you can do to back up your CRAZY, LUDICROUS allegation that I was making out I was "new to you" is to produce two posts in which I actually praised you and said positive things about you. In fact one of those posts was simply me trying to make peace between you and Quill cos you both had a humdinger of a row that had raged on for 2 or 3 days, so I decided to do my bit to make peace between both of you.


This might be a good time to remind you that you keep overstepping the mark into territory that is none of your business, Syl. A new member can call themselves whatever username they wish., and it's not my fault if you interprete my innocent posts in a crazy, illogical way.

Plus you keep breaking the rules everytime you make reference to an old grudge in another forum, And that is something you do quite often, Syl. Ditch your obsession about what happens in other forums and concentrate on what happens here.

I could make a lot of capital by importing things from other forums and use it to my advantage. But I don't, cos it's against the rules. You'd be wise to heed the rules too. Unless of course you feel you are above the rules.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:45 pm

This is a misunderstanding over nothing ladies. Don't let it erupt into a crapfest. Let it go.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32225
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by HoratioTarr on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Jules wrote:


If this isn't groundhog day, I don't know what is.
This is a carbon copy replica of what happened the previous day.
You say something and someone who was the very last person on your mind, thinks you were referring to them,
and thus makes a post "to defend themselves". This caused a row.


Another thing: I had every right to call myself a newbie when I joined because hell, that is EXACTLY what I was.
I was 100% brand new to the forum, what the hell should I have called myself????
Just because I knew a couple of the names of members, out of dozens of names - does not change the fact that I was a newbie here.

And syl, that bizzare post you made saying I singled a couple of your posts out to pretend I was new to you, it makes zero sense. Perhaps you would do me a massive favour and flag up the posts you were referring to??/
, cos tbh,  that is yet another thing you imagined in your head- along with imagining that everything people say, it's you they are referring to you.



It's nothing like what happened the previous day.... You said it was sycophantic to call Eddie MISS Eddie, I politely pointed out I had done this a couple of times for a joke.
You barged in saying I was defending another poster......I had no idea you were talking about anyone else, I was merely answering your point about adding 'Miss' to someones name.


On this thread I asked Quill a question, he mentioned gangs, I asked who he meant. I don't belong to a gang so obviously he didn't mean me.

And as you ask so nicely Yes, I can single out a post (and there are others)where you pretended you hardly knew me, or other posters here.

by Jules on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:57 pm
"I'm new here and I like both of you, Syl and Quill. It looks more like a personality clash between you two, than serious acrimony. I hope you both resolve your differences eventually. x"



You said this on a different forum months earlier after talking about NF and the posters here...
"There are some cold hearted guys & gals on there and they are so predictable, you know exactly what they are going to post on every thread before you read it. They have become caricatures of themselves. (Syl is reasonably OK on there, btw. )
I have to say I feel better now that I've left off steam. "



I hope that answers your question.

To be fair, it's not unusual for people to join different forums under different names. I joined here as HT, and I've mostly had different names for every forum I've been on. Some people just choose to do that.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6896
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by HoratioTarr on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm

scrat wrote:It appears that some of the females on here waltz to their own tune, it's hardly surprising that our colonial cousins look at us and think WTF!

What tune are people supposed to 'waltz' to, exactly?
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6896
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Jules on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm

scrat wrote:It appears that some of the females on here waltz to their own tune, it's hardly surprising that our colonial cousins look at us and think WTF!
You have never seen me waltzing to any tune, scrat. I try VERY hard to mind my business and keep out of rows.
Pleased to meet you btw - I don't think we have ever spoken to each other, scrat.

Horatio Tarr, I hear you and of course you are 100% correct. It is within everyone's right to choose whatever username they want. I chose this name, not for secrecy, but for privacy. We all deserve a bit of privacy if we want.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Miffs2 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 pm

Original Quill wrote:
nicko wrote:If you want to talk about gangs,    How about Sassy,  Handy Andy, Irn Brew ,Scat and Ziz, who's just here for the stirring.

I don't see any gang there.  Irn is one of the nicest, most reasonable of guys you could meet  Handy Andy and Scrat are too independent of mind to form into a gang.  Likewise Ziz...and I disagree with you.  He's not stirring.  Sassy has always got a mind of her own.

It is true that if you are a bit right-leaning, you are going to get a response from any of the above.  But you make that choice, not them.

 Irn is one of the nicest, most reasonable of guys you could meet  


You didn't say that when he was tag teaming you on the Golden Gate Bridge thread!
avatar
Miffs2

Posts : 2013
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Syl on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:02 pm

Jules wrote:
Syl wrote:
It's nothing like what happened the previous day....  
Wrong, it's everything like what happened the previous day because in both cases you found yourself being told "it wasn't you I was referring to, thou dost protest too much" I have never seen you adding 'miss' to anyone's name and I would not care, or comment if you did. I would mind my own business - perhaps that is something you may wish to try, one day.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Syl wrote:
by Jules on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:57 pm
"I'm new here and I like both of you, Syl and Quill. It looks more like a personality clash between you two, than serious acrimony. I hope you both resolve your differences eventually. x"
You said this on a different forum months earlier after talking about NF and the posters here...
"There are some cold hearted guys & gals on there and they are so predictable, you know exactly what they are going to post on every thread before you read it. They have become caricatures of themselves. (Syl is reasonably OK on there, btw. ) I have to say I feel better now that I've left off steam. "

.

I cannot believe my eyes. Shocked  Shocked  So the best you can do to back up your CRAZY, LUDICROUS allegation that I was making out I was "new to you" is to produce two posts in which I actually praised you and said positive things about you. In fact one of those posts was simply me trying to make peace between you and Quill cos you both had a humdinger of a row that had raged on for 2 or 3 days, so I decided to do my bit to make peace between both of you.


This might be a good time to remind you that you keep overstepping the mark into territory that is none of your business, Syl. A new member can call themselves whatever username they wish., and it's not my fault if you interprete my innocent posts in a crazy, illogical way.

Plus you keep breaking the rules everytime you make reference to an old grudge in another forum, And that is something you do quite often, Syl. Ditch your obsession about what happens in other forums and concentrate on what happens here.

I could make a lot of capital by importing things from other forums and use it to my advantage. But I don't, cos it's against the rules. You'd be wise to heed the rules too. Unless of course you feel you are above the rules.

You asked for proof...I provided it, no other forums were named.
I don't make a habit of posting from anywhere else....in fact this is the FIRST time I have ever done so....and only to prove how dishonest you are.

You have also brought an argument that happened on one thread over to a completely different thread to carry on your grudge...you are also carrying on a personal quarrel against another poster here, (go check the forum rules again and take note) one that's been going on for years over several forums, and one that frankly, as I told you the other night, I have NO intention of being dragged into again.

Now kindly either keep your grudge on one thread so I can easily ignore it, or preferably try to keep me out of your little vendetta in future, I left one forum because of it, I don't intend to leave this one.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12954
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by eddie on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:04 pm

And because I'd like that to be the end of it and to stop anything else being said.....I'm locking this topic ladies.


_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32225
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever changed a long held belief because of something you have read on a forum?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum