British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:22 pm

British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

FEARS that Eastern European poachers are decimating Britain’s freshwater fish stocks have forced conservationists to start a nationwide poster campaign – in five languages.

Fishing in rivers, canals and some lakes is illegal during the close season to allow the fish to breed. But experts say migrants are eating and selling catches, including those pregnant, instead of returning them to the water.

The Angling Trust is so concerned about the diminishing numbers of salmon, trout, barbel, pike, bream, carp and eel, it has printed details of the ban in Polish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Slovakian and English.

Kent councillor Tony Harwood yesterday said serious damage was being done to eel and trout stocks near his home in Maidstone to satisfy the migrants’ love of smoked fish.



Conservationists have warned the number of wild salmon in the River Wye has plummeted by 57 per cent.

Now the Angling Trust voluntary bailiff service has launched Operation Clamp Down with the Environment Agency to target illegal angling during the coarse fishing close season.

Martin Salter, of the Angling Trust, said: “Fishing for coarse fish between March 15 and June 15 on rivers and some still waters and canals is illegal.”

Fishing out of season carries a maximum penalty of £50,000.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/386379/British-rivers-stripped-of-fish-by-East-European-poachers


Is it me, or does this sound like a load of codswallop?

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by nicko on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:53 pm

No eddie it's true, I was fishing a local lake a couple of weeks ago and saw two anglers? reel in a good size Mirror Carp, they hit it on the head, put it in a sack and packed up and left. The close season for fishing on a river is from 15th march to 15th june, you can fish on river from the 16th june. 99% of still waters can be fished all year round.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8125
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Yes Nicko but considering the source - the express - can you really believe that the EE's are actually draining our rivers of fish?
It's this bit that made me laugh:


Kent councillor Tony Harwood yesterday said serious damage was being done to eel and trout stocks near his home in Maidstone to satisfy the migrants’ love of smoked fish.

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by nicko on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 pm

It's no joke Eddie, this is really happening. some of the Carp introduced to private waters cost the owners hundreds of pounds.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8125
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by stardesk on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Not only fish, folks. I live in an area that has large flocks of geese and ducks, on the rivers and lakes etc.
We know that foreigners are catching the geese and ducks for food, no matter whether it is the shooting season or not. Let's hope our local conservationists do the same as the fishing lobby and put up notices in different languages. If I catch the buggers I'll throw their guns in the river.

_________________
Theodosius Dobzhansky: 'Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.'
avatar
stardesk

Posts : 948
Join date : 2013-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Why do Eastern Europeans have to kill for their food? Don't they know we have supermarkets?

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:39 am


POACHING of fish and shellfish stocks is also quite common up and down the East Coast of Australia, as well (though, obviously, the background of our local poachers will be somewhat different -- around here there are Asian families supplying capital city restaurants, north coast commercial fishers raiding mullet runs for the roe, yobboes beachfishing sharks just for "sport"..).

AS FOR that situation over in Europe, I could suggest that those Eastern Europeans got into the habit of poaching fish stocks for food back in the bad old Soviet years; and with easier access to other parts of Europe over the last two decades, they have now carried their bad practices across into Britain (and probably Germany, France, and Scandinavian regions as well..) ?

AND, let's not forget those long liners and gill netters feeding those giant "factory" ships, as well..  They've been increasingly raping and pillaging the open oceans for more than 40 years...      

 

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 3884
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 59
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by nicko on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:09 am

Those "long liners" kill thousands of sea birds including the rare Albatross,
they dive for the lures which have hooks in them, disgustingly cruel.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8125
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:23 am

nicko wrote:
Those "long liners" kill thousands of sea birds including the rare Albatross,
they dive for the lures which have hooks in them,    disgustingly cruel.

What a Face

And then there's the other non-fish non-target species caught up by long liners and netters...

Dolphins, turtles, sharks, seals..
As well as all of those birds that you mention, nicko.

And just as damaging, though not quite as visible and obvious --  and more insidious --  are the newer krill and plankton harvesting ships operating out of Japan and Taiwan..

IT'S ONLY a matter of when, not if, the marine ecosystems go belly up as an inevitable result of all the over-fishing...         bom


Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 3884
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 59
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:24 am

eddie wrote:Yes Nicko but considering the source - the express - can you really believe that the EE's are actually draining our rivers of fish?
It's this bit that made me laugh:


Kent councillor Tony Harwood yesterday said serious damage was being done to eel and trout stocks near his home in Maidstone to satisfy the migrants’ love of smoked fish.

The Express is simply reporting - accurately so far as I can see -a genuine news story based on a campaign launched by the Angling Trust with the support of the Environment Agency in an attempt to address what is a very serious environmental issue in some parts of the country, including my own.

There are very sensible rules about river and lake angling which are specifically designed to protect and conserve fish stocks, and in any case properly run angling clubs which police their own members' activities have to pay heavily for fishing rights to access to what is often privately-owned property.

Just because immigrants happen to have enjoyed smoked or any other sort of inland waterway fish in their own country does not give them the right to come here and flout the laws which we have in place to protect this country's wildlife.

Your comment indicates to me that you regard the piece as some sort of politically inspired critique of immigrants and if so, I disagree entirely.

I will be worried when our newspapers are silenced by PC zealots from reporting and commenting on issues of public interest involving any sector of society - including immigrants, asylum seekers and refugees.



avatar
Fred Moletrousers

Posts : 1286
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:00 am

Hold your horses Lord ed! I found the reporting funny, the part I highlighted.

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by nicko on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:57 pm

JUST SPOKE TO A NEIGHBOUR,WHO HAS JUST COME BACK FROM A LOCAL CARP LAKE, EARLSWOOD LAKES [ IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF THEM]
POLICE HAVE JUST ARRESTED TWO MEN, HE THINKS THEY ARE POLISH,
CAUGHT WITH 3 DEAD CARP IN A SACK!

SORRY ABOUT CAPS, STUCK AGAIN,.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8125
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by The Devil, You Know on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:59 pm

eddie wrote:British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

FEARS that Eastern European poachers are decimating Britain’s freshwater fish stocks have forced conservationists to start a nationwide poster campaign – in five languages.

Fishing in rivers, canals and some lakes is illegal during the close season to allow the fish to breed. But experts say migrants are eating and selling catches, including those pregnant, instead of returning them to the water.

The Angling Trust is so concerned about the diminishing numbers of salmon, trout, barbel, pike, bream, carp and eel, it has printed details of the ban in Polish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Slovakian and English.

Kent councillor Tony Harwood yesterday said serious damage was being done to eel and trout stocks near his home in Maidstone to satisfy the migrants’ love of smoked fish.



Conservationists have warned the number of wild salmon in the River Wye has plummeted by 57 per cent.

Now the Angling Trust voluntary bailiff service has launched Operation Clamp Down with the Environment Agency to target illegal angling during the coarse fishing close season.

Martin Salter, of the Angling Trust, said: “Fishing for coarse fish between March 15 and June 15 on rivers and some still waters and canals is illegal.”

Fishing out of season carries a maximum penalty of £50,000.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/386379/British-rivers-stripped-of-fish-by-East-European-poachers


Is it me, or does this sound like a load of codswallop?
are you sure this thread fits the criteria, seems like a hate thread against eastern Europeans to me.

_________________
"If a socialist understood economics, he wouldn't be a socialist" : Friedrich Hayek
"

I know a place where your speech is free
and the only mod is me
Israel uses weapons to protect its people, the Palestinians use people to protect their weapons
#tories4Corbyn
avatar
The Devil, You Know

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2015-05-11
Location : Room 101 (which does not exist)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by The Devil, You Know on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:00 pm

eddie wrote:Why do Eastern Europeans have to kill for their food? Don't they know we have supermarkets?
because they don't have to pay for it and can sell it on?

_________________
"If a socialist understood economics, he wouldn't be a socialist" : Friedrich Hayek
"

I know a place where your speech is free
and the only mod is me
Israel uses weapons to protect its people, the Palestinians use people to protect their weapons
#tories4Corbyn
avatar
The Devil, You Know

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2015-05-11
Location : Room 101 (which does not exist)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Shut up Dean. It's not a hate thread, is it?
If you're bored start a thread yourself.

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by The Devil, You Know on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:11 pm

eddie wrote:Shut up Dean. It's not a hate thread, is it?
If you're bored start a thread yourself.
so a thread on any topic is allowed?

_________________
"If a socialist understood economics, he wouldn't be a socialist" : Friedrich Hayek
"

I know a place where your speech is free
and the only mod is me
Israel uses weapons to protect its people, the Palestinians use people to protect their weapons
#tories4Corbyn
avatar
The Devil, You Know

Posts : 2932
Join date : 2015-05-11
Location : Room 101 (which does not exist)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
eddie wrote:Shut up Dean. It's not a hate thread, is it?
If you're bored start a thread yourself.
so a thread on any topic is allowed?


You know the rules Dean. And you can't spoil my great mood cheers

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Major wrote:
The Devil, You Know wrote:
eddie wrote:Shut up Dean. It's not a hate thread, is it?
If you're bored start a thread yourself.
so a thread on any topic is allowed?

I have a thread up on Muslims raping our children but the mods seem to be avoiding it, WHY????

Because I've discussed the hell out of that topic, here and elsewhere.

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Ah well ...just another cultural tradition the multiculturalists will demand we sit back and pretend its all fine

just like those other activites we all know about but no one will do anything about.....

allowing these types in is little different to allowing cane toads into australia....

no doubt the PC PC'S will be turning a blind eye to this as much as possible...just as the are STILL doing in rotherham etc, albeit there it is a more serious matter...

AHHH the unalloyed joys of multiculturalism, as encouraged by the mad left......(BEN>>>>>YMMV....got that???)

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8630
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Jules on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:58 pm

eddie wrote:British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers


eddie wrote:
FEARS that Eastern European poachers are decimating Britain’s freshwater

Confusing contradiction in terms there.
To decimate is merely to reduce by a tenth.
I had a boss who had a big problem with that word and he used to stop us in our tracks if we used it.
It got so that we had to use alternative words. lol!

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by eddie on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:30 pm

You're not wrong though. Well spotted.

_________________
The soul of a gypsy, the heart of a hippy, the spirit of a fairy
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31439
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:31 am

Lord Foul wrote:Ah well ...just another cultural tradition the multiculturalists will demand we sit back and pretend its all fine

just like those other activites we all know about but no one will do anything about.....

allowing these types in is little different to allowing cane toads into australia....

no doubt the PC PC'S will be turning a blind eye to this as much as possible...just as the are STILL doing in rotherham etc, albeit there it is a more serious matter...

AHHH the unalloyed joys of multiculturalism, as encouraged by the mad left......(BEN>>>>>YMMV....got that???)

Idea

ALLOWING criminal activities and environmental vandalism is not a part of multiculturalism...

Britain is not a multicultural country;  nor are the likes of Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Slovenia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Finland..

You really have no idea what genuine multiculturalism is, Victor !

Certainly not the way in which it works in successful and more modern multicultural nations like Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada..        Arrow

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 3884
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 59
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 am

Jules wrote:
eddie wrote:British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers


eddie wrote:
FEARS that Eastern European poachers are decimating Britain’s freshwater

Confusing contradiction in terms there.
To decimate is merely to reduce by a tenth.
I had a boss who had a big problem with that word and he used to stop us in our tracks if we used it.
It got so that we had to use alternative words. lol!

The word "decimate" has also been acceptable in the use of English as meaning "to destroy a large proportion of..." since the latter half of the 17th century.
avatar
Fred Moletrousers

Posts : 1286
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Jules wrote:




Confusing contradiction in terms there.
To decimate is merely to reduce by a tenth.
I had a boss who had a big problem with that word and he used to stop us in our tracks if we used it.
It got so that we had to use alternative words. lol!

The word "decimate" has also been acceptable in the use of English as meaning "to destroy a large proportion of..." since the latter half of the 17th century.

Not by purists! Like my boss for example.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Jules wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

The word "decimate" has also been acceptable in the use of English as meaning "to destroy a large proportion of..." since the latter half of the 17th century.

Not by purists!  Like my boss for example.

If you feel strongly enough to make a stand on the issue, refer him to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary!
avatar
Fred Moletrousers

Posts : 1286
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Jules wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

The word "decimate" has also been acceptable in the use of English as meaning "to destroy a large proportion of..." since the latter half of the 17th century.

Not by purists!  Like my boss for example.
Well tell him to move with the times. Laughing
Language is ever changing.....tell him to watch 'Countdown' some of the words now allowed in the OED would curl his toes.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Syl wrote:
Well tell him to move with the times. Laughing
Moving with the times is not a positive thing where literary standards are concerned. The standards are shocking, and they continue to fall. Spelling and grammar have gone to pot (and yes, I'm just as bad sometimes Embarassed )




Syl wrote:
Language is ever changing.....tell him to watch 'Countdown' some of the words now allowed in the OED would curl his toes.
Yes language evolves continuously and the meanings of words change, I've even seen words take up the completely opposite meaning, over time!  Shocked
But my ex boss, who is not normally known to be pedantic, managed to sway me on this one.  Do you know why?

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Jules wrote:
Syl wrote:
Well tell him to move with the times. Laughing
Moving with the times is not a positive thing where literary standards are concerned. The standards are shocking, and they continue to fall. Spelling and grammar have gone to pot (and yes, I'm just as bad sometimes  Embarassed  )




Syl wrote:
Language is ever changing.....tell him to watch 'Countdown' some of the words now allowed in the OED would curl his toes.
Yes language evolves continuously and the meanings of words change, I've even seen words take up the completely opposite meaning, over time!  Shocked
But my ex boss, who is not normally known to be pedantic, managed to sway me on this one.  Do you know why?

No...why?
I will say that I agree about spoken language going downhill....so many people also seem to adopt a strange affectation when they speak. I think they are trying to sound well travelled, they just sound affected.

And the local Manchester accent has changed too...Manchester is now often pronounced as ManchesTUUR....I hate it.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Lord Foul on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:Ah well ...just another cultural tradition the multiculturalists will demand we sit back and pretend its all fine

just like those other activites we all know about but no one will do anything about.....

allowing these types in is little different to allowing cane toads into australia....

no doubt the PC PC'S will be turning a blind eye to this as much as possible...just as the are STILL doing in rotherham etc, albeit there it is a more serious matter...

AHHH the unalloyed joys of multiculturalism, as encouraged by the mad left......(BEN>>>>>YMMV....got that???)

Idea

ALLOWING criminal activities and environmental vandalism is not a part of multiculturalism...

It is...inevitably...since "we" have to take due note of "Their" cultural norms...or else we are "somthing-ist"


Britain is not a multicultural country;  nor are the likes of Poland, Rumania, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Slovenia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Finland..

Well now I suggest you ask the guvmnt, they are the ones who keep trying to foist this unwanted idea upon us.

You really have no idea what genuine multiculturalism is, Victor !

By definition no such animal can or will exist, since there will ALWAYS be irreconcilable differences between cultures/religions etc ...and SOMEONES has to be ascendant, or chaos reigns

Certainly not the way in which it works in successful and more modern multicultural nations like Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Canada..        Arrow

and these are not multicultural in any sense either......you (australia) have avoided the worst of the shit with your strict immigration policy.....and by avoiding on a land area basis the flooding of your country by those incomming who wish to have "their culture" be THE culture.

see the problem WE (and most of europe) have is that those comming here only wish to build "little bagdad or little beiruit" here and have no intention themselves of actually becomming part of "britain" They expect US to compromise on many issues....but will not make compromises themselves, even to the extent of ignoring laws set out for the safe freedom of the individual citizen.....Folks like YOU wolfie are all too quick to whinge when "we" ask (reasonably) that "their" women remove at least the veil to expose teir face to scrutiny (only a bandit needs to hide his/her face .....) and yet we hear NOTHING from your sort when "THEY" abuse OUR girls who are dressed for a night out.

If fifty english blokes stood on a street corner yelling abuse at asian women in their burkahs there would be hell to pay
fifty asian youths do the same at girls going out to the night club it seems is acceptable ...since our forces of law and order simply do nothing, neither does the system make any attempt to prosecute these sort or indeed recognise that this is exactly the same racist crap at work...

white english bloke ...auto racist
asian abuser...well ......white english girl deserves it for offending his culutural norms


THAT is the REALITY of multiculturalism..........

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8630
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Jules wrote:
Yes language evolves continuously and the meanings of words change, I've even seen words take up the completely opposite meaning, over time!  Shocked
But my ex boss, who is not normally known to be pedantic, managed to sway me on this one.  Do you know why?

Syl wrote: ......... No...why? ........  

Hiya Syl,  Laughing
The reason?
Take a closer look at the word DECImate. Unfortunately it has an inbuilt numerical value locked into the meaning. Hence strictly speaking, it is not open to change.

We know that the latin-based prefix ''Deci''  means ten  hence the word will always mean reducing the value by a tenth.

Just like halving a quantity will always mean dividing it into two equal parts, it will never change to mean a third or a quarter, irrespective of linguistic trends.

So, there ya go, he sold it to me. He was a nice boss btw, not a pedant. Laughing

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British rivers stripped of fish by East European poachers

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Jules wrote:

Not by purists!  Like my boss for example.

If you feel strongly enough to make a stand on the issue, refer him to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary!

I hear you, FMT.
The dictionary I consulted yesterday to see the latest opinion, wisely gave both meanings, ie to drastically reduce the quantity and also the original meaning to reduce by just a tenth.

Moot point, I guess, - sorry for taking this off topic, guys. lol!

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum