The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 pm

(CNN)With Adele's song "All I Ask" playing in the background, a Maryland teenager opened her computer and wrote an emotional letter to President Barack Obama.

"I am an American, I grew up here. I say the Pledge of Allegiance every day," Aleena Khan told the President. "And yet, I am a Muslim."
Which one, she asked, is she allowed to be?

Aleena is 17, with a bright smile and dark hair that sweeps across her shoulders. Her mother is Indian-American, her father emigrated from Pakistan. Aleena and her two sisters have lived in Maryland their whole lives.

Last year, as part of an honors research project on identity crises among Muslim-American teenagers, Aleena spent hours online combing through public comments on news articles about Muslims. What she read shocked her.

"Kick them all out and put the rest in detainment camps. Enough with the PC feces," said one commenter.

"The only peaceful and moderate Muslims are the dead ones," said another.

The tweet from the man wearing military camouflage was the worst, Aleena said. "Hard to tell what we should build first. A border wall or a gas chamber for Muslims."

Aleena sat on the floor of her room, stunned. These people were talking about her mother, her father, her sisters, her cousins, her friends. They were talking about her. If it were just one comment, she could ignore it. But there were so many.

"This is what people think about me?" she wondered. "If I go out and say I'm Muslim will my friends still be my friends? Will people like me anymore?"

She texted her best friend, Haley, telling her what people were saying about Muslims. People are ignorant, Haley answered.

It's difficult to measure a sentiment such as Islamophobia, the word for hatred and fear of Muslims. But it's also hard to escape the idea that being Muslim in America today is like watching comment sections spring to lurid life. The anti-Muslim rallies, the vicious hate crimes, the racial profiling, the threats and taunts and questions about divided loyalties.

Scholars say Islamophobia seems to surge after attacks by Muslim extremists and during presidential campaigns, when candidates pledge to get tough on terrorists, often by singling out Muslims. Just this week, after a Muslim man was charged with detonating bombs in New York and New Jersey and another was accused of stabbing 10 people in Minnesota, GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump urged local police officers to profile "suspicious" people, "like they do in Israel."

"Do we really have a choice?" Trump said. "We're trying to be so politically correct in our country, and this is only going to get worse."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/islamerica-secret-costs-islamophobia/index.html

-Maya Angelou
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: The hidden price of Islamaphobia in America

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Major wrote:Propaganda.

It's actually a detailed exploration of a significant issue.

-Maya Angelou
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:41 am

Razz

WITH Major/Stormee being one of the leading propagandists on this forum, it is always amusing and quite ironic to see any of them using the term "propaganda" in relation to any other posts...

Then again, I seriously doubt that the likes of Stormee, Tommy, Dean, Horatio, nor their supporters like Raggamuffin and nicko, even understand the concept of irony..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:29 pm

IL'L have you know I iron my own shirts!!

nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Laughing

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Aleena is 17, with a bright smile and dark hair that sweeps across her shoulders. Her mother is Indian-American, her father emigrated from Pakistan. Aleena and her two sisters have lived in Maryland their whole lives.

Last year, as part of an honors research project on identity crises among Muslim-American teenagers, Aleena spent hours online combing through public comments on news articles about Muslims. What she read shocked her.

"Kick them all out and put the rest in detainment camps. Enough with the PC feces," said one commenter.

The tweet from the man wearing military camouflage was the worst, Aleena said. "Hard to tell what we should build first. A border wall or a gas chamber for Muslims."

Aleena sat on the floor of her room, stunned. These people were talking about her mother, her father, her sisters, her cousins, her friends. They were talking about her. If it were just one comment, she could ignore it. But there were so many.

"This is what people think about me?" she wondered.

I wonder if some of those comments that stunned her so badly were gathered from some of our own members?

-Maya Angelou
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

"This is what people think about me?" she wondered.

I wonder if some of those comments that stunned her so badly were gathered from some of our own members?

I bet you don't really wonder that.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

I'll bet I do. Because any fundamentalist belief is hard to defend, that is the reason why fundamentalists are reluctant to discuss their religion. Frankly, any theory of metaphysics is difficult to talk about...but so is refutation.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'll bet I do.  Because any fundamentalist belief is hard to defend, that is the reason why fundamentalists are reluctant to discuss their religion.  Frankly, any theory of metaphysics is difficult to talk about...but so is refutation.  

I bet you don't ...

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'll bet I do.  Because any fundamentalist belief is hard to defend, that is the reason why fundamentalists are reluctant to discuss their religion.  Frankly, any theory of metaphysics is difficult to talk about...but so is refutation.  

I bet you don't ...

Do too...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:25 pm

"he's behind you"
"oh no he's not"

"OH YES HE IS"

etc etc etc ..........

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top