Religion In A Nutshell

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Lurker on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm

First topic message reminder :


_________________
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
avatar
Lurker

Posts : 3108
Join date : 2013-01-20
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Lurker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 pm



Well, now that Trump is President it IS the ASSHOLE nation.


Last edited by Lurker on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
avatar
Lurker

Posts : 3108
Join date : 2013-01-20
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Lurker on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:22 am


_________________
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
avatar
Lurker

Posts : 3108
Join date : 2013-01-20
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am

Lurker wrote:

to be fair that's not true....
the US is often referred to as an asshole nation Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 7062
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by eddie on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am

Now that's funny!

_________________
"You set alight, in my heart and mind, the most beautiful chaos" ~ atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32418
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 am


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 am

North Korea

64.3% atheist

Nuff said

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Eilzel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 am

PMSL

North Korea is proof of nothing but totalitarianism.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6017
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:26 am

smelly-bandit wrote:North Korea

64.3% atheist

Nuff said

meh atheists are often ignorant Cool Cool Cool
look at thorin Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Eilzel wrote:PMSL

North Korea is proof of nothing but totalitarianism.

An atheist totalitarianism

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:North Korea

64.3% atheist

Nuff said

meh atheists are often ignorant Cool Cool Cool  
look at thorin Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Or yourself

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Eilzel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:PMSL

North Korea is proof of nothing but totalitarianism.

An atheist totalitarianism

You are rather missing the point there. I don't think the vast majority of North Koreans even get a say in who their worship. They'd probably be Buddhist given a chance. And really, worshiping a 'dear leader' is no better than any other religion.

Look at Czech and Scandinavian countries to see how huge atheistic populations affect a country. Cool

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6017
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Eilzel wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

An atheist totalitarianism

You are rather missing the point there. I don't think the vast majority of North Koreans even get a say in who their worship. They'd probably be Buddhist given a chance. And really, worshiping a 'dear leader' is no better than any other religion.

Look at Czech and Scandinavian countries to see how huge atheistic populations affect a country. Cool

Anyone seen the goalposts??

They seem to have moved.

The Scandinavian countries?? You mean like Sweden which is known due to its Muslim immigration rape epidemic??

Very nice atheist country.

But the you would prefer to live in 100% Catholic Vatican city over 64.3 % atheist north Korea


_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Eilzel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Not goalposting moving, just common sense.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6017
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Eilzel wrote:Not goalposting moving, just common sense.

you would still prefer Vatican city over north korea, and you would most certainly prefer life in bible belt of America over the very death you would get in the qur'an killing fields of Saudi Arabia

though you rage against them all given a choice??

you'd choose religion over atheism and Christianity over Islam

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Eilzel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I'd choose Czech or a Scandinavian country over them. This is a retarded argument anyway. Carry on without me.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6017
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Eilzel wrote:I'd choose Czech or a Scandinavian country over them. This is a retarded argument anyway. Carry on without me.

you annoyed because i just point out that the one country that is overwhelmingly atheist is also north korea??

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:I'd choose Czech or a Scandinavian country over them. This is a retarded argument anyway. Carry on without me.

you annoyed because i just point out that the one country that is overwhelmingly atheist is also north korea??


What is the state religion of North Korea?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Not goalposting moving, just common sense.

you would still prefer Vatican city over north korea, and you would most certainly prefer life in bible belt of America over the very death you would get in the qur'an killing fields of Saudi Arabia

though you rage against them all given a choice??

you'd choose religion over atheism and Christianity over Islam


Odd, when 53% of people have no religion in the UK.

Why can he not live here, as you do?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:North Korea

64.3% atheist

Nuff said

meh atheists are often ignorant Cool Cool Cool  
look at thorin Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Or yourself

I'm not Atheist Neutral

In fact I have argued with the atheists on this site more than anyone else.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by nicko on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 am

If your not an Atheist, what religion are you? You can't be Christian going by your comment earlier !
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8646
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 am

nicko wrote:If your not an Atheist,   what religion are you?   You can't be Christian going by your comment earlier !


Well the Eygptian name of his God is "Ra"
The Greek version is called "Apollo Helios"
The Sumerian version was "Shamash"
Where as the Australian version is called "Fosters"

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by nicko on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 am

Or xxxx ! Laughing
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8646
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:19 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Or yourself

I'm not Atheist Neutral

In fact I have argued with the atheists on this site more than anyone else.

I was meaning the ignorant part.


_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:18 am

nicko wrote:If your not an Atheist,   what religion are you?   You can't be Christian going by your comment earlier !

polytheist agnostic
which means,
I don't know if there is a god, but if there is a god I am sure there are many gods.

but for shits and giggles, I am willing to say rainbow serpent and plenty of the old gods..... and 'sun/stars' as literal gods that just needed to be redefined as such (since they are literally responsible for the energy that sustains all life forms we know exist)


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 am


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:30 am


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Lurker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 pm

veya_victaous wrote:


Yes, how can "not-that-thing" equal "that-thing"?

_________________
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
avatar
Lurker

Posts : 3108
Join date : 2013-01-20
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Is amoral, in fact a morality?

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

“If there is a tit-for-tat escalation Trump will have difficulty improving relations with Russia, which has just thrown U.S.A. election to him,” KT McFarland to Thomas P. Bossert, Trump's aide.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20835
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 am

Lurker wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:


Yes, how can "not-that-thing" equal "that-thing"?



Cause Both are faith based propositions, making a statement on an aspect of the universe that there is not enough evidence to create facts.
Atheism is a definitive theological position. Just like any other religion.

@quill
Yes it is. Much like it is impossible to 'do nothing'.
Indifference is still an position/opinion.
Amorality is the equivalent of selecting all 5 in a rate from one to 10 where one equals 'strongly against' and 10 equals 'Strongly for' with equal value differentials in between.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Original Quill on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm

veya wrote:Yes it is. Much like it is impossible to 'do nothing'.
Indifference is still an position/opinion.
Amorality is the equivalent of selecting all 5 in a rate from one to 10 where one equals 'strongly against' and 10 equals 'Strongly for' with equal value differentials in between.

I think this confuses 'vacancy' with 'substance'.  In math, we often confuse '0' with a value number, eg, like '3' or '5'.  It is a place holder, to be sure; but it is contradictory to say '0' is a value.

Similarly, a-moralism, a-sexuality, or a-theology, are denoting a mode, but specifying the absence of content.  We may have a teacup, but it is a-tea...that is to say, empty of tea.  It is a mode, but has no content.  Otherwise, we are caught saying, here is a cup of tea, but without tea.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

“If there is a tit-for-tat escalation Trump will have difficulty improving relations with Russia, which has just thrown U.S.A. election to him,” KT McFarland to Thomas P. Bossert, Trump's aide.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20835
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by smelly-bandit on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Original Quill wrote:Is amoral, in fact a morality?

everything is relative quill


_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief.”

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S NOT OK TO BE WHITE.
avatar
smelly-bandit
He Thinks He's an Attack Helicopter. Just Go With It

Posts : 3594
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:54 am

Original Quill wrote:
veya wrote:Yes it is. Much like it is impossible to 'do nothing'.
Indifference is still an position/opinion.
Amorality is the equivalent of selecting all 5 in a rate from one to 10 where one equals 'strongly against' and 10 equals 'Strongly for' with equal value differentials in between.

I think this confuses 'vacancy' with 'substance'.  In math, we often confuse '0' with a value number, eg, like '3' or '5'.  It is a place holder, to be sure; but it is contradictory to say '0' is a value.

Similarly, a-moralism, a-sexuality, or a-theology, are denoting a mode, but specifying the absence of content.  We may have a teacup, but it is a-tea...that is to say, empty of tea.  It is a mode, but has no content.  Otherwise, we are caught saying, here is a cup of tea, but without tea.

zero is a value
the number line does not start at zero.
zero is the middle point.
Zero is not "nothing", zero is also not the absence of value, zero is a value. You can say that you have 3 objects (apples, bananas, cars, etc...), but you can never have 3. 3 is a concept that does not "exist" in reality. It is simply a language used to describe dimensions of real objects.
https://www.quora.com/If-zero-represents-absence-of-any-value-then-why-does-1-represent-having-less-than-nothing

an 'empty' tea cup is still full of air Cool even in space it is contains a vacuum.

to expand on amoral as a position on scale
amoral means indifferent to murder (for example) it is a 5 on the scale of completely against or completely for,
one could find Murder completely wrong and then it is a 1 but you could find murder a positive action and thus rate it 10.


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 am

Myth:
Atheism is just another religion.

 
Response:
For some strange reason, many people keep getting the idea that atheism is itself some sort of religion. Maybe it is because these people are so caught up in their own religious beliefs that they cannot imagine any person living without religion of some sort. Maybe it is due to some persistent misunderstanding of what atheism is. And maybe they just don't care that what they are saying really doesn't make any sense.



Here is an email which I received and which I thought would be useful to dissect, considering how many common mistakes it makes:
Dear Sir,
I am afraid I will have to kindly decline your offer to rewrite my post. I stand by my original contention; atheism is a religion. Whether it fits technically with the semantics or not is not a concern of mine; the practical definition of religion is what matters to me, not the letter of the law. And the practical definition, distasteful though it may be to those who disdain religion in all its forms, is that the very thing most atheists hate is what they have become: a religion, with clearly defined rules, eschatology and a philosophy by which to live. Religion is a means of understanding our existence. Atheism fits that bill. Religion is a philosophy of life. So is atheism. Religions has its leaders, the preachers of its tenets. So does atheism (Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx). Religion has its faithful believers, who guard the orthodoxy of the faith. So does atheism. And religion is a matter of faith, not certainty. Your own faithful say that, as that is what I was referring to in my posting. Welcome to the religious world!



 
Please forgive my contentious tone. However, I would very much like to bring some (albeit not all as that is not possible) to the realization that all religions set themselves apart from the crowd; they are the pure, the faithful, all others are just "religion." Here again, atheism fits the bill.
That's the whole letter in one shot.


Let us now examine it piece by piece so that we can get a better sense of just what lies behind it all...
Whether it fits technically with the semantics or not is not a concern of mine;
In other words, he doesn't care if he misuses language to fit his purposes? This is a very sadly common attitude, but at least he is honest enough to admit it - others making the same claims are less forthright. Whether or not atheism fits technically with the semantics of "religion" should be a concern of his, if he has any interest in an honest dialogue.
...the very thing most atheists hate is what they have become: a religion, with clearly defined rules, eschatology and a philosophy by which to live. Religion is a means of understanding our existence.
Does atheism have anything approaching "clearly defined rules?" Not in the least. There is only one "rule," and that is the rule of the - not having any belief in any . Other than that, a person can do and believe absolutely anything beyond gods and still fit the definition. Quite the opposite of how "rules" are treated in a religion. This is one area where a misunderstanding of what atheism is probably comes into play.


Does atheism have an "eschatology?
Eschatology is a "belief about the end of the world or the last things." Now, I'm sure that many atheists have some sort of beliefs about how the world might end, but those beliefs sure aren't clearly defined or uniform among all of us. In fact, any beliefs about the end of the world are accidental - that is to say, they are not a necessary part of atheism. There is absolutely, positively nothing inherent in the disbelief in gods that leads one to any particular opinions about the end of the world (including having any such opinions at all). Quite the opposite of how 'eschatology' is treated in a religion.
Does atheism contain "...a philosophy by which to live?" Atheists certainly have philosophies by which they live. A popular philosophy might be Secular Humanism. Another might be objectivism.


Still another could be some form of Buddhism. There is not, however, a clearly defined philosophy common to all or even most atheists. In fact, there is nothing inherent in the disbelief in god(s) which leads a person to even have a philosophy of life (although a person without such a philosophy might be a bit strange). Quite the opposite of how 'philosophy of life' is treated in a religion.
Religion is a means of understanding our existence. Atheism fits that bill.


And how, exactly, does atheism provide a means for "understanding our existence"? Other than gods, there's a lot of room for differences among atheists as to what they think about existence. Although someone's understanding of their existence might incorporate atheism in some manner, their atheism is not itself the means to understanding.


The belief in an objectively existing world is a common assumption, too - but the people who share it don't belong to a common religion, now do they? Besides, since many atheists don't believe that gods "exist" and, hence, aren't a part of "existence", that disbelief doesn't have to be seen as understanding "existence". I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, and that disbelief isn't a means of understanding our existence, doesn't have an eschatology, and certainly has no clearly defined rules.
Religion is a philosophy of life. So is atheism.


Atheism is a disbelief, not a philosophy. My disbelief in the Tooth Fairy is not a philosophy of life - is it for anyone else? Furthermore, a philosophy of life is not necessarily a religion and it doesn't necessitate that a religious belief exists in the person with the philosophy. There are, after all, all sorts of secular philosophies of life, none of which are religions.
Religions has its leaders, the preachers of its tenets. So does atheism (Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx).


All of those philosophers disagreed in many ways - thus supporting my contention that atheism, as such, does not have any set of "clearly defined rules" and is not a single religion.
Many atheists, in fact, have no interest in those authors. If the writer of the original letter knew anything about those authors at all, then they would know this - which means that they either had no real understanding of what they were saying, or did and are being deliberately deceitful.


The Democratic Party, the United Way, and a UCLA all have had their leaders. Are they religions? Of course not. Anyone who suggests such a thing would be immediately recognized as a loon, but somehow people imagine that it is respectable to do the same with atheism.
Religion has its faithful believers, who guard the orthodoxy of the faith. So does atheism.


What possible orthodoxy is there for anyone to guard? There are those who attempt to guard the orthodoxy of belief in the Democratic Party - is that a religion, too? At least political parties have some semblance of "orthodox beliefs" which are worth guarding against the gradual shifts of culture.
And religion is a matter of faith, not certainty. Your own faithful say that, as that is what I was referring to in my posting.


Just because religion necessitates the existence of faith does not mean that the existence of faith (in whatever form) necessitates the existence of religion. I have "faith" in my wife's love for me - is that a religion? Of course not. The connection between religion and faith only goes in one direction, not both. Faith has multiple meanings - not all of which are exactly the same. The sort of faith to which I refer to here and which one might consider common among atheists is that of simple confidence based upon past experience. Moreover, that faith is not limitless - it should only go as far as evidence warrants. In religion, however, faith means a great deal more - it is, in fact, essentially a belief without or in spite of evidence.
Welcome to the religious world! Please forgive my contentious tone. However, I would very much like to bring some (albeit not all as that is not possible) to the realization that all religions set themselves apart from the crowd; they are the pure, the faithful, all others are just "religion." Here again, atheism fits the bill.


Huh? This makes no sense. Just because atheists see themselves "apart from the crowd," this makes atheism a religion? Absurd.
At every point in the above letter, there is an attempt to show places where religions and atheism have something in common. I've either pointed out that there isn't anything in common - that the alleged commonality is shared by other organizations or beliefs that clearly aren't religions - or, finally, that the alleged commonality isn't a necessary part of atheism.


Another, deeper flaw in the latter is that the author managed to pick things that aren't even necessary to religion, never mind atheism. A religion doesn't have to have leaders, an eschatology, defenders, etc. to be a religion. Just because something does have those things doesn't mean that it is a religion.
Perhaps it would also help to examine what a religion is. The Encyclopedia of Philosophy, in its article on Religion, lists some characteristics of religions. The more markers that are present in a belief system, the more "religious like" it is. Because it allows for broader grey areas in the concept of religion, I prefer this over more simplistic definitions we can find in basic dictionaries.


Read the list and see how atheism fares:


[*]Belief in supernatural beings (gods).


[*]A distinction between sacred and profane objects.


[*]Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.


[*]A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.


[*]Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.


[*]Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.


[*]A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an overall purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.


[*]A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.


[*]A social group bound together by the above.


[/list]
This should make it obvious that any attempt to claim that atheism is a religion requires a radical ad hoc redefinition in what "being a religion" is supposed to mean, resulting in a radically equivocal use of the new term. If atheism is a religion, then just what isn't a religion?


In addition, it should be noted that theism itself does not qualify as a religion based upon the above - and for most of the same reasons that atheism does not qualify. When you stop to think about it, theism - the mere belief in god(s) - does not automatically entail almost any of the beliefs or practices listed in either the above letter or the above definition. In order to have a religion, you need quite a bit more than either simple belief or disbelief. This fact is clearly reflected in the real world, because we find theism which exists outside of religion and religion which exists without theism.




https://www.thoughtco.com/atheism-myths-is-atheism-a-religion-3863701

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:11 am

If you have ever been asked, or have wondered yourself, whether atheists must hold some shred of faith in order to hold that particular worldview, then please stop by Neil Carter’s blog, Godless in Dixie, where he pretty well puts this issue to rest in a post titled, “Do Atheists Have Faith?”

“This assertion” that atheism requires faith, Carter writes, “doesn’t irritate me because it’s clever or insightful; it irritates me because it’s nowhere near as clever or as insightful as it sounds.  In fact, it’s a logical fallacy called equivocation.”

Equivocation, incidentally, is the type of ambiguity that occurs when a single word or phrase is ambiguous — not for grammatical reasons, but rather because the phrase, taken as a whole, has two distinct meanings. Carter explains it better:

Equivocation happens when one’s argument hinges on a single word that has different meanings in different contexts, but one uses the word as if it has only one meaning for all situations.  Remember in third grade when you would say “I love pizza” and your friends would reply with “Well then why don’t you marry it?”  They knew good and well what you meant.  The word “love” means different things in different contexts, and they were capitalizing on the ambivalence of the meaning in order to make a joke.  The words “faith” and “belief” work the same way.  If I say that I believe that the Earth revolves around the Sun, it doesn’t mean exactly the same thing as what you mean when you say you believe an invisible spirit made them.  They are both beliefs, technically speaking, but they are not both faith—not, at least, in the usual sense of the word.  One of those beliefs is based on empirical observation and science while the other is based on, well, something else.

It’s not just the deeply faithful who make this argument, by the way. Non-believers make this argument, as well, from time to time — a backlash, I suppose, against all the “New Atheist” faith-bashing. (It’s a way to even the score, to bring those damned egomaniacal atheists down a notch by casting them as hypocrites.)

But there should be a happy medium, though, no? No need to denigrate faith — everyone is free to have faith in whatever they like! — but that doesn’t mean that everyone has faith. Or needs it. Or wants it. Faith is fine — really it is! But faith is not fact. It is not science. It is not reason.
And I’m with Carter: The whole thing sort of rubs me the wrong way, too. In the same way that calling atheism a religion rubs me the wrong way.

Can atheists be just as adamant and judgmental as the die-hard religious? Definitely. But to say that atheism is a religion — well, that’s just not accurate. In fact, it’s another form of equivocation. For instance, I can say that my neighbor is religious about exercise or that my dad is religious about Louis Armstrong, and no one would assume I’m referring to literal religions based on exercise or jazz.

Even when people are talking about fundamental beliefs — beliefs that may even act as stand-ins to actual, certifiable religious beliefs — they’re not saying that they are relying on faith for these beliefs, or that these beliefs constitute an actual, certifiable religion in and of themselves. Abe Lincoln once said, “When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” He was being thoughtful. He was being poetic. He was making a statement of unity, trying to influence humans to look internally, rather than externally, for their notions of good and bad. I think, if anything, he was using the term religious to voice his doubts about the usefulness of organized religion.

What I’m saying is that people can be religious about their atheism, but that doesn’t make atheism a religion. A philosophy? A worldview? A belief system? Sure. Any of those. But religion? No. It takes more than a group of people with similar worldviews who gather together to talk about those views to constitute an actual religion. If it did, the United States Congress would be a religion, as would my book club. (And believe me, there’s nothing religious about my wine-guzzling, sailor-talking book club.)

Here’s Carter one more time:
When an atheist says he believes there are natural explanations for the world around us, it is because experience thus far has upheld that notion with significant, objectively measurable benefits to our daily lives. Such belief is not of the same sort which bases itself on the word of a religious authority.  Those who insist otherwise are only demonstrating their lack of awareness of what exactly goes into the rigorous development of modern scientific discovery.  Doesn’t matter to them, though.  They have faith.  Until they learn to genuinely question that mode of perception, disagreement is basically futile.  That’s why I don’t like debates with such people.  We’re not even using the same rules.

So yeah. Take a look at his post. Plus-also, he’s got a picture of Inigo Montoya.
Plus-also, I did not have to Google Inigo Montoya to find out how to spell it. I’m pretty sure that says something about me, though I’m not at all sure what.

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/naturalwonderers/religion-faith-pizza/#uIXvvCYiZwkoZHH7.99

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:35 am

Finally Razz Razz Razz Razz
"Atheism the easiest religion to troll"

Atheists Using patheos.com to defend Atheism is like a Christian defending their faith using the bible.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:44 am

So the site wackadoodle could not counter a single point

That was soo easy

Laughing

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 am


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:44 am


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:01 am

Didge wrote:So the site wackadoodle could not counter a single point

That was soo easy

Laughing

well actually I should have been more accurate NEW ATHIESM like you follow is a religion since it is beliefs not founded in scientific methodology but instead founded on reciting other peoples opinions of philosophic theology.

Atheism in general is a possible positon but it can only accurately be held as a hypothesis, no more 'true' than suggesting the sun 'could be' a god and indeed is a much harder thing to prove something 'is' (as Atheism is a finite theological statement) than to show something 'could be'.

Ultimately it comes back to what Quill said "Is Zero a value", to the layman it may be seen as the absence of value but to the Scientifically minded it is most definitely a value and a very major and important value with significant ramifications(more so than any other number)

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Didge on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 am

PMSL

A hypothesis?

Non belief?

Its gets wackier and dumber your claims.

Atheism is not a religion.

You do realize that all people are atheists in regards to other religions.

Though in my case and others, I have no religion or belief in any God

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4655
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 pm



_________________
"You set alight, in my heart and mind, the most beautiful chaos" ~ atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32418
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Exactly!!!!!!

_________________
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” — Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
avatar
SEXY MAMA

Posts : 2816
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 44

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Exactly!!!!!!

Yep. I love you

_________________
"You set alight, in my heart and mind, the most beautiful chaos" ~ atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32418
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion In A Nutshell

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum