FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - What was yours like?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - What was yours like?

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Do you remember that very first day: was it difficult leaving your mother/parent{s} side and having to stay in that classroom with those other group of strangers?

Middle School: did you have to change to an different building - new location - did your family relocate to a new area during your elementary school year?

High School: what was the best - what was the worst - have you ever wanted to go back and do it all over again?

What social groups/clubs did you participate in - were you a jock or a nerd or just there for the fun and to get it over with?

Back to top Go down

Re: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - What was yours like?

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Fantastic thread!

My first day ever: cried and wouldn't let go of my mum's leg, the teacher had to prise me off. The teacher then got me a book and I told her I'd read it. She got another, "Read it" I said. That happened about seven more times (each book going up a stage). She was amazed at my reading skills - my mum had taught me well. I remember that as clear as anything. Then my mum came to get me early and I cried and wouldn't let go of the teacher's leg and my mum had to prise me off.....

Middle school: I had about six friends who made me a "leader" and it was my job to make up the games and the rules etc etc and I remember telling them I was sick of being the leader and chose someone else to do it. They didn't lead well and I ended up taking over again - I wasn't bossy but it seemed that they preferred me making the rules lol

High school: met my darling friend Lisa and we spent the whole of our five years together fantasising about Michael Jackson (for me) and Paul Mcartney (her) coming to steal us away on an adventure. lol!
We didn't get much work done, or so it seemed, but we managed to stay on the top class all the way through school!

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:18 pm

That made me LOL, Eddie; got quite a visual of your poor mother.  Feeling like a utter heel for leaving you -   and then to return early because she couldn't stand the wait and delay any longer only to arrive and have her little darling pitch a fit and refuse to go with her own MUM    Embarassed   Poor MUMMY, she got a double gut punch on that day too!

Did you have any social groups that you joined in high school?  Grade school we had Brownie Scouts for the little one on up to Girl Scouts into middle school - boys had Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts.
High School: Kayettes {in school booster club/sports oriented - community service} Choir - Drama Club - Journalism Club - Drill Team - Cheer Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Hahahah yep that's what my mum says! She got there early and I refused to leave

Oh yes, sorry! I was in the middle school netball team as goal shooter - despite being on the shorter side - I was pretty good back then. I was also in the Recorder Club and only learned to play Three Blind Mice - then I got bored and left that one.
I joined the choir and loved that and stayed until I left school.

I was pretty good at pottery, of all things, and was in a club for a while in high school, then our teacher left and was replaced by a nasty old git who liked to shout a lot (not as bad as the physics teacher who liked to 'ping!' our bra straps!!)

Out of school I was in a swimming team and a swimming club where I got my certificates for bronze, silver and gold and for "swimming two miles".

Oh yes and I was in a disco dancing club thing but it was rubbish and when  the boy I fancied left, I lost all heart in dancing for no one's eyes Rolling Eyes

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:18 pm

I just stood there and thought....What the Fuck! But in a four year old's language, you understand.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Would your Netball =

Recorder =   mine was red, I still have it and we had to learn 'twinkle twinkle little star' to pass our test! Father had us go to the milk barn to practice; I was child #5 out of 6 ...he was pretty sick of 'twinkle twinkle little star' by that time! LOL  

Dance Club   sounds like fun; we had a social group in grade school {4H} we learned Square Dancing/Circle Dancing/Country 2 step/waltz and some other dances but they were mostly western type dances ...our teachers weren't into any of that twist/swim/jerk/HIPPY SHIT they called it.  LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:28 pm

I can't remember what I did last week, never mind 70 years ago!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:31 pm

The worst thing about school for me was the other kids, for the most part Smile

I have no memory of my first day of school, but I do remember really enjoying kindergarten -- sort of set the stage for the rest of my life to the present. They taught me about dinosaurs and created a monster ...

My family moved around a lot while I was in elementary school, so I never spent more than a grade or two at one. Then there was the absolute hell of middle school and junior high.

High school settled down a bit; I guess I would have been termed a "prep" most of that time. I was more popular than I knew (found that out when someone told me that nobody could figure out why I never ran for student council). But I also had my first bad bout with depression in high school, so I was kind of doing my own thing at that time.

Senior year I went out for the baseball team, which is my only jock cred. I saw very little playing time, but had a lot of fun in practice.

My big special moment in high school was when they announced my full college scholarship on the morning announcements. Kids looked at me differently after that Smile

“If there is consent on both or all three or all four, however many are involved in the sex act, it's perfectly fine. Whatever it is. But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent in part of the equation, then here come the rape police."

- Rush Limbaugh, America's most influential right-wing commentator.
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Ben:
Did you participate in any Drama Classes - Plays, take Journalism class - work on the school paper - yearbook staff? 
WOW, full scholarship; did you know what your degree/masters was going to be in back at that age?

What position did you enjoy while playing baseball?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 pm

4EVER2 wrote:Ben:
Did you participate in any Drama Classes - Plays, take Journalism class - work on the school paper - yearbook staff? 
WOW, full scholarship; did you know what your degree/masters was going to be in back at that age?

What position did you enjoy while playing baseball?

I did take a semester of what our school called "Theatre," but my big thing was band (played trumpet). I enjoyed my writing assignments but was never on yearbook or school paper.

I played first base in baseball, since I had neither a strong throwing arm nor a wide fielding range Smile I was good at picking throws out of the dirt, though.

“If there is consent on both or all three or all four, however many are involved in the sex act, it's perfectly fine. Whatever it is. But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent in part of the equation, then here come the rape police."

Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:47 pm

Oh, I was also on the school trivia team and apparently ended up in the Latin Club somehow -- as far as I know, every kid who took Latin was put in that club. I took Latin all four years and had a fantastic teacher who spent far more time on teaching us about classical civilization than having us conjugate "agricola" Smile

Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:47 pm

nicko wrote:I can't remember what I did last week, never mind 70 years ago!

70?!!!!! How old are you?
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't know about the rest of the world, but British school dinners were pig swill. Lumpy mash, cabbage boiled to bitterness, gravy like water, semolina like sick with a blob of jam in the middle. UGH!
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angry Andy on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:08 pm

I remember my first day at school
I asked where to go for a stool
I was shown the boys bog
Where I produced a huge log
It was almost as long as my rule!

Angry Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Getting banned is a badge of honour in the fight against far rw extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:32 pm

nicko wrote:I can't remember what I did last week, never mind 70 years ago!
Awww, you've gotta have some recollection about those 'GOLDEN DAYS'; before life/work/military/marriage all got in the way - responsibilities took over and sucked the fun out of our daily existence Razz

Do you remember that very first day: was it difficult leaving your mother/parent{s} side and having to stay in that classroom with those other group of strangers?

Middle School: did you have to change to an different building - new location - did your family relocate to a new area during your elementary school year?

High School: what was the best - what was the worst - have you ever wanted to go back and do it all over again?

What social groups/clubs did you participate in - were you a jock or a nerd or just there for the fun and to get it over with?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:09 pm

I love hearing everyone's stories, and yes 4ever, that would be netball (a little like basketball I guess) and that would be a recorder! Hey, you and I could've had a band with two hits; twinkle twinkle and my version of Three blind mice Laughing (trumpet solo by Ben)

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm

My first day was filled with another student, a girl, screaming and crying because her mother left (separation anxiety).  She cried and cried, and vomited finally.  It was so startling that I just watched.  I didn't know what to make of it.

I still remember the poor girl screaming her little heart out. One of my daughters went through the same thing, so I had the experience on the other end. We just had to leave her, so she'd get used to it. A week later she was fine.

Last edited by Original Quill on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:36 pm

Did you read my story? Sounds like me Hahahaha

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 pm

eddie wrote:Did you read my story? Sounds like me Hahahaha

Yeah, but it seems like you managed. This child was all day until nap time, I think. Then I don't know what happened.

But I sure remember my taut heartstrings when my daughter underwent her anxieties.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Did you read my story? Sounds like me Hahahaha

Yeah, but it seems like you managed.  This child was all day until nap time, I think.  Then I don't know what happened.

But I sure remember my taut heartstrings when my daughter underwent her anxieties.

Oh I hear you on that one. It's really hard dropping them off and hearing them call you and crying. I usually cry all the way home, feeling awful.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Original Quill wrote:My first day was filled with another student, a girl, screaming and crying because her mother left (separation anxiety).  She cried and cried, and vomited finally.  It was so startling that I just watched.  I didn't know what to make of it.

I still remember the poor girl screaming her little heart out.  One of my daughters went through the same thing, so I had the experience on the other end.  We just had to leave her, so she'd get used to it.  A week later she was fine.
OMG ...I begged to go to school - I pitched the biggest fits, I'd pouted - I'd refuse to eat breakfast - if my play buddy - my besty brother was getting to go the WTH couldn't I? We were tight, my brother and I, he was so horribly shy and I stuttered and had just lost my two front teeth so there was much I tried to say that needed translating and that was my brothers job!
Mom tried to keep me at home: she'd allow me to walk to school with my 4 older siblings but then I was too come right back home ...Ya, right - walking to school was a lark that trudge home became the trail of tears!  So I just started hanging out - sneaking into the building and listening and trying too avoid not getting caught.  But between my dogs giving me away and my frantic mother having to come look for me or some one catching me ...I got busted and my arse whooped a lot!  Finally the lady that I was going to see down the road (she was working on my speech through vocal music to cure my stuttering or at least help me speak) she asked my father, what possible harm could it due for me if I was to start school early - if I could prove my abilities with a test. I didn't recall much about those chain of events but mother filled the voids in for me.  So I was told about this special test and if I could behave - not be a distraction - still go see my speech/music/voice lady before school was out then my siblings would come collect me and we'd all walk home together.  All I remember is the night before, my brother coaching me on tying my own shoes - counting - reading - 'Tip & Mitton' saying my ABC's - sitting quietly - raising my hand; since we all played school so much this was going to be NO PROBLEM!   
Oh, I was so proud and soooo prepared and so overly confidant - breezed through the testing - got the approval to start school early ...now why didn't some one think to tell me that I was NOT to STAMMER out every thought or remark out loud that came into my head.  That when the time came for some one else to have their turn to read out loud ...it just wasn't my place to stutter -"WHY TTTTHE HELL IS SSSSSHE TTTTTALKING SSSSSO DAM LOUD FOR,  CHRIST SSSSSSAKES YOU COULD HEAR HER CLEAR UP AT OUR BARN!  Shocked
Oh, that first week was soooo hard for both the teacher and me ...I spent a lot of time on that stool n the corner ...but the retelling that day's events to my pops sure put a wide grin on his face Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:15 pm

lol! lol! lol!

As I'm six years older than my brother I was the first to go to school.   It was at Marham in Norfolk.   The 'tinies' weren't in the same building at the rest and it was pretty basic.   The toilet wasn't even a flushing one and my Mum was not amused when I came home the first day with the stuff they used to pour in them all over the skirt of my new uniform.   She kicked up merry hell and asked why young children were using such 'facilities'!!!!!!!!!!!

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Oh, that would have been hell to wash out.  As a rural farm area we didn't have any uniforms but there was a 'dress code' of sorts.  I was forbidden from wearing my standard bib overalls, so, I'd wear a pair of my brothers cut off jeans under my dresses ---didn't want those nasty boys looking up my dress to talk about my 'unmentionables'  Embarassed   
I do remember the teacher asking my older sister Barbara; 'is there any possible way you could scrub you sisters hair tonight so she doesn't smell like her coon dogs?'.  
My sister laughed and told her ...'moms been trying that nightly, but little sis has to go out and make sure that all the coon dogs are safe - tucked in for the night, all 12 of them!  
Guess my long wet hair picked up the aroma of my lovely furry family ...not that I ever noticed!  

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Some teachers just don't have their priorities right lol

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:52 am

H/T, started INFANTS School when I was 5, that was 70 years ago.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:17 am

nicko wrote:H/T,   started INFANTS School when I was 5,   that was 70 years ago.

Ha! Just a youngster then.....
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:38 am

What a Face       I NEVER particularly liked school --  was simply something that had to be done...

My favourite part was never starting the day, but when it was time to go home..
Still managed to be 'Dux' of my primary school, though !        tongue

As for my first day of Kindergarten, that was pretty low key and calm for me;  I was simply too overwhelmed by unfolding events, as to be too worried or excited either way..

Sports ?  Not likely..          Basketball
(Being born with a dislocated hip, I wasn't going to be playing any team or contact sports, so I didn't have any support in that area --  my father's attitude seemed to be that if I wasn't going to be involved in the particular sports that he was interested in, I could wait until I was able to pay my own way; (He certainly wasn't 'anti-sports', either --  he willingly supported my younger brother's endeavours in soccer and athletics --  he simply wasn't interested in looking at any alternatives I might show an interest in..) so as a result I was never involved in any organised sports during my school years - for in-school sports (i.e. that one afternoon a week..), I took the opportunity to learn a little tennis, squash, basketball -- played some "house" soccer and cricket once I got to high school.        

Sporting_type recreation/fitness activities that I'm involved in now --  archery, mountain biking, kayaking --  all eventuated after I'd well and truly left school behind...
I was never going to be any sort of "jock"..        

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:36 am

Those where the days when Teachers were Teachers, meaning very strict!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Smile         Too true,  nicko !!!

OVER HERE the rot set in during the late 1970s/early '80s,  when the Department of Education decided to listen to a small minority of idiot parents, and started shifting control and discipline away from the teachers --  for example :

*  teachers weren't to point or wave any sharp or pointy implements (e.g. knives, scissors, screwdrivers, chisels..) in the direction of students, after one stroppy student in Sydney complained that a Home Ec' was "threatening" her (!) ;

* After a small group of snotty parents complained that their l'il darlings and urban princesses "weren't at school to clean, but only to learn.." the Ed. Dept. removed the responsibilty for students in cooking, sewing, woodwork and metalwork classes to clean up as they were working ( Rolling Eyes );

* Often times, when students attacked, even bashed, teachers --  you would see the students being 'counselled' and given special treatment, while the teachers were transferred out to other schools ! (I knew one teacher that happened to, back in the mid-80s..).

SINCE 1979, it been "death by a thousand cuts.." for the very expectation of proper responsibility and discipline for-and-by students in many schools, not only here in Oz, but across much of Western society..

Things will have to change again for the better, surely ?          

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:27 pm

nicko wrote:Those where the days when Teachers were Teachers,     meaning very strict!

Oh yea, teachers were teachers all right, and thought nothing of caning a small child's hand until the palm split, or in the case of my friend then, her knuckles, causing her permanent damage to her writing hand.   Or at the 'bigger' school, the teacher who would boast that any pupil he threw a board rubber at would end up with a black eye, or the perv who made the girls stand on the desk so he could look up their skirts.   Oh yes, those were the days.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:18 pm

WOW, I couldn't fathom being seated in a classroom with such terrors being played out around me.
The examples WYW & Sassy have told - OMG.

My first 5 years was in that rural school; little ones to my age all in one class room together 6th grade 8th grade had their own smaller class room with a separate teacher. 
Our country school would hire a man & wife 'TEAM' and they cooked the noon meal/cleaned/were our emergency medical staff/taught us academics/recess/planned our many field trips and started the boys basketball team for the 6th - 8th graders and had the girls learn cheers.
We did musical productions and everyone HAD to participate in the play - we did seasonal productions and the whole town and all of the parents attended; lots of really fun memories for those years.

We did have one set of married teachers that seemed just slightly 'OFF'; but we were in the process of moving into a different town and sold our farm so it was just all to drama filled for me to remember. 

But the kids that were unified into my high school from that area told some really horrific stories about that married couple and the after school drinking & all night parties that those two put on within the school building - hosting parties for soldiers from Fort Riley and prostitutes too!  I think the small rural town and locals were just to shocked to know what to do until the contract ran out and they just closed the school forever!

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Smile

THE CANE was one odious, objectionable and obscene aspect of school that I will never miss...

IN BOTH primary and secondary school, there were some of those cane-happy psycho' teachers who would happily cane students with the least whiff of a suspicion of any wrong-doing..

There were times in both primary and high schools where I got the cane for no good reason -- either because the teacher was picking on the wrong people,  or simply because he/she was a nasty piece of shit.          Suspect

AND, until they finally outlawed corporal punishment, there was rarely any recourse for those wronged students..  
Teachers, and even parents, often supporting the recalcitrant psycho' teachers.
And the bullies and genuinely bad students, meanwhile, bragging about how many times they'd been caned that week  !!!

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:04 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Smile

THE CANE was one odious, objectionable and obscene aspect of school that I will never miss...

IN BOTH primary and secondary school, there were some of those cane-happy psycho' teachers who would happily cane students with the least whiff of a suspicion of any wrong-doing..

There were times in both primary and high schools where I got the cane for no good reason -- either because the teacher was picking on the wrong people,  or simply because he/she was a nasty piece of shit.          Suspect

AND, until they finally outlawed corporal punishment, there was rarely any recourse for those wronged students..  
Teachers, and even parents, often supporting the recalcitrant psycho' teachers.
And the bullies and genuinely bad students, meanwhile, bragging about how many times they'd been caned that week  !!!

I heard stories about my oldest brother being a classroom distraction in the other room - and how his wooden ruler seemed to disappear right after the start of school year Suspect  That 'map puller' was the long arm of the classroom LAW back in those days ...the teacher could just have that in hand and reach another 6' away from her/him and get your attention back on focus toot-sweet! Wink

Now my oldest brother seemed slightly off {devious - bent towards real mean picking on people} and his #1 person for this wicked intent was my BFF Charlene {a foster girl with the darkest brown eyes and Carmel colored skin - long black hair that felt like my horses tail it was that thick}, I never did hear where she ended up after we moved away but her 'foster' time came to an end and she moved away.
My BFF was always in tears from his mean picking at her until she'd just crumble into a puddle of abject surrender to his wickedness.  Well, his teacher just happened to over hear one diatribe and caught brother up by his ear and marched him right back into the school - where he demanded my brother produce his ruler so he could receive proper punishment of 4 swats on the buttocks - brother explained how his ruler was missing, must have been stolen; so I went and got the one that I had to share with my other brother and knocked on the door - handing it over and asked that 'could you give him a couple extra smacks for all the times he's not been caught?'  Twisted Evil

I avoided my oldest brother for the longest time after that day; but my closest brother and I had each other's back and we tried to protect each other as much as possible from his evil ways ...but we weren't often able to protect our farm animals from his horrendous wickedness and they'd suffer as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:09 pm

With 1st grade, I had a sister 2-years older who got me to school, and in the right line, and instructed me in all things one needed to know on the first day.  With five kids (I was 4th), I think my mother was done with it all and I became my sister's chore.

In grades 1 and 2 I had young teachers, who didn't leave much of an impression.  I remember one day this one student, who was EMR, had gone through early puberty.  I came into the classroom late, and she was already engaged in pulling up her dress, and down her knickers, and showing off her **twat** to the hooting boys.  

I just watched, amazed, at the boys as well as her...never seen anything like it and somehow I knew it was bad.  I felt like I suppose Holden Caulfield felt when he read the dirty writing on the brick wall in Greenwich Village (re: Catcher in The Rye).  The young teacher got to the classroom late, and she didn't know what to do.

In third grade I had Mrs. Faust, whom I later learned my father had bribed with a phonograph player when my brother had passed through 4-years before.  I was the one who was whispered about, however.

In Fourth grade I had Mrs. Caller, who bragged to my mom that I was the brightest of her kids.  But she was strict!!  I remember volunteering to correct one of her math calculations, for which I was punished by being held after school.

At ten we moved from Pennsylvania to California, and suddenly I was in an adult world.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Wow some really great stories! Seriously, really enjoyed reading those!

Wolfe, had no idea about your hip - did it hinder you in school?

Quill, what happened in California that made it feel like an "adult world"?

4ever.....hahahahaha can just imagine you sneaking in to school thinking "A whooping is coming my way but it's worth it!"

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:11 pm

eddie wrote:Wow some really great stories! Seriously, really enjoyed reading those!

Quill, what happened in California that made it feel like an "adult world"?

4ever.....hahahahaha can just imagine you sneaking in to school thinking "A whooping is coming my way but it's worth it!"
I really enjoy 'gender neutral' type of topics like these too; something we all share in common but have uniquely different experiences growing up thorough the different stages of our early education years and my how those times did change - WOW.
Quill stated > With five kids (I was 4th), I think my mother was done with it all and I became my sister's chore.
I understand that feeling; we were 'latch-key' kids long before there was a 'catchy phrase' for that term. 
When dad got hurt so badly and mom had to find employment off our farm and way from home; by that time all of us 6 were in school and we'd leave home with only our 2 older sisters in charge all day long until both parents returned from their different jobs. 
With only 1 vehicle and their jobs 35 miles away from our farm - no electricity in our house but in the barn for the first years, this made for some interesting evenings right after school - chores were done - wood stove was stoked - supper was started and homework being done by kerosene lamp - often my besty brother and I would return to the barn and do our homework out there by the light of the milk house lights.
Sneaking crackers and apples out to enjoy with our homework became quite the thing to do.  The bigger the SNACK GRAB, the higher the point value, until we would get caught and then those older sisters sure could dole out their worst form of vile punishments! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Such a completely different way of life - it's so interesting.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:06 pm

eddie wrote:Quill, what happened in California that made it feel like an "adult world"?

My father, formerly a professor of medicine at Harvard University, accepted a teaching position at Berkeley.  In Philadelphia, right after the war, he was in a relatively quiet private practice.

However, Berkeley is a very competitive university and my father, being a notable (and perhaps notorious - lol) cardiologist, had his competitors.  That trickled down into the schools, with teachers having brothers and sisters in competitive positions at the university.  Some of it visited me.

Plus, I came down with osteomyelitis and then polio, and I spent a couple of years in and out of hospitals.  All-in-all, it was very different than the cocoon in Abington, PA.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Quill, what happened in California that made it feel like an "adult world"?

My father, formerly a professor of medicine at Harvard University, accepted a teaching position at Berkeley.  In Philadelphia, right after the war, he was in a relatively quiet private practice.

However, Berkeley is a very competitive university and my father, being a notable (and perhaps notorious - lol) cardiologist, had his competitors.  That trickled down into the schools, with teachers having brothers and sisters in competitive positions at the university.  Some of it visited me.

Plus, I came down with osteomyelitis and then polio, and I spent a couple of years in and out of hospitals.  All-in-all, it was very different than the cocoon in Abington, PA.

Ah I understand. It must've been hard for you as a child to miss school and others children making friends, it can feel like you missed an eternity.
Were your parents happier there, in California, than Philadelphia?

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:47 pm

4EVER2 wrote:Do you remember that very first day: was it difficult leaving your mother/parent{s} side and having to stay in that classroom with those other group of strangers?

Oooh, I like these nostalgic threads too. Laughing

I remember my first day at school aged 5...we all had to sit in a row with a card round our necks with our names on. One girl would not stop crying, all us other 5 year olds felt some sort of sympathy for her...till day 2 and day 3, when her crying got on everyones nerves.....so much for childhood empathy.

Junior school, a different part of the same building. Loved everything about it except the school dinners, like HT said they were foul, AND we were forced to eat grissle masquerading as meat, black lumpy mash, and all manner of foul smelling concoctions served up as sweet.

Senior school was brilliant....I loved most lessons,(apart from science, geography and history) sailed through everything without a care, and was happy to be on every sports team and club going...left at 15 because in those days poorer kids needed to work to tip up a bit of cash to help out at home.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:02 pm

eddie wrote:
Wow some really great stories! Seriously, really enjoyed reading those!

Smile

Back in the day, they didn't check for the propensity for "clicky hips" with newborn babies (I think that might have become a standard protocol sometime in early '70s..);
So in my case, I wasn't diagnosed until just after my 3rd birthday --  whereupon, I had something like a few weeks in hospital in traction (not exactly easy on a toddler, when they had limited visiting times in hospitals -- not the day-long flexibilty everyone's used to these days..), followed by "frog's legs" plaster over my hips and legs 3 times over a year (i.e. 4 months each time..);
and then I was wearing a hip brace for more than a year after that --  up till only a few weeks before starting school..
(These days, if they detect a potential dislocated hip soon after birth, they often treat it with 'double nappies' for a few weeks -- usually avoiding a permanent limp developing..).

When I was 5 or 6 years old, the doctor said "no contact sports" for me, but that I should do a bit of swimming to help strengthen the hip joint..
Wasn't exactly going to hold me back, though --  I could still walk, run, climb.  I just wasn't ever going to run or swim fast...

When I was in high school, the doctor loosened up on that earlier prescription, and I was able to play in soccer and basketball teams on school sports days..
I also learnt to ride bicycles, horses and motorbikes at various times during those school years --  courtesy of various friends and neighbours...
And then there was bodysurfing, bushwalking and a local karate club for physical activity/recreation outside of school hours --  but still no organised/formalised sporting activities..

Even to this day, I can still walk, jog, swim and climb okay, but I can't run fast, and may still feel a tired hip and legs after standing still on a hard surface for too long --  and I will have a permanent limp for the rest of my life. Things I simply had to learn to live with..

Even now, in this day_and_age, I will still occasionally have some people ask if I was a "sickly child" (I wasn't..),  or a "crippled kid at school" (nope ! Not that either..), or if my hip brace included 'calipers' (no -- not quite that complicated --  calipers are used to straighten out a child's legs as they develop and grow -- I never had that problem..).

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Sounds as though you're toughness got you through and had a determination not to let your 'diagnosis' ever hold you back, so hats off to you. I guess many children may have been wrapped in cotton wool and not allowed to do anything.

I will not, ever kick you when we have a heated debate! Wink

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:02 pm

WYWolfie stated >
Back in the day, they didn't check for the propensity for "clicky hips" with newborn babies (I think that might have become a standard protocol sometime in early '70s..);
So in my case, I wasn't diagnosed until just after my 3rd birthday --  whereupon, I had something like a few weeks in hospital in traction (not exactly easy on a toddler, when they had limited visiting times in hospitals -- not the day-long flexibilty everyone's used to these days..), followed by "frog's legs" plaster over my hips and legs 3 times over a year (i.e. 4 months each time..);
and then I was wearing a hip brace for more than a year after that --  up till only a few weeks before starting school..
(These days, if they detect a potential dislocated hip soon after birth, they often treat it with 'double nappies' for a few weeks -- usually avoiding a permanent limp developing..).

I've known several young mothers that had their baby boys {seems gender specific type of ailment} put into a 'hip traction' type of plaster cast for hip problems when they were born ...generally around here the physicians waited until the baby was at least 9 months old before the 'cast was applied' but all of those young boys grew into fabulous soccer/football/baseball players ...despite their mother's concerns - the Physical Therapy as come a long way in muscle & bone conditioning.

Glad your doctors finally gave you a Thumbs Up for any outdoor type of exercise; but as with all things, proper conditioning makes a lot of difference for those spots on our bodies that might have 'ISSUES'. I love you

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:24 am

Major wrote:I remember my very first day at school.

A girl neighbour a little older than myself looked after me and we are still friends today.

It's great to form a bond like that that lasts a lifetime.....I lost contact with all my schoolmates years ago, I would love to see some of them again though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:54 am

Syl wrote:
Major wrote:I remember my very first day at school.

A girl neighbour a little older than myself looked after me and we are still friends today.

It's great to form a bond like that that lasts a lifetime.....I lost contact with all my schoolmates years ago, I would love to see some of them again though.

I went on a school reunion as an adult once. Never again. I found I still disliked the arseholes who were arseholes back then 30 years later.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy Zack on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:07 am

Pre-school (age 2-4): vague memories in Leeds but I remember enjoying playing with toys and no parent withdrawal symptoms

Started primary school in a British embassy school in India. Remember hugging my mum's knee in the morning and being prized off by Mrs Chopra.

Last year of primary school, I was back in London. With an Indian accent. Which then changed to funny Amercian accent before turning all cockney. Wicked!

Secondary school: started off with a week of getting beaten up sixth form students. Luckily nobody wanted to punch a small guy with a cute face. A complete waste of 5 years and came out with 1 GCSE.

Retake College: for rich dads with dumb kids. Did 1 year of GCSE retakes. Luckily the hottest girl in college was also a my brother's girlfriends sister, so I became popular by association from day 1.

A Level College: a wonder waste of 2 years opposite Hyde Park. Spent most of the time in the local pub (The Harrington). Came out with A-Levels graded N-U-N. As in none.

A Level Retake College: this time I studied from day 1 and managed to get some B's and C's in my A Levels. Enough to get me into Royal Holloway (population 65% female). We all know what Freshers week is like.
Fuzzy Zack
The Japanese Lesbian Mermaid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:50 am

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Ah I understand. It must've been hard for you as a child to miss school and others children making friends, it can feel like you missed an eternity.
Were your parents happier there, in California, than Philadelphia?  

My father was a rare breed...an early, pre-war Southern Californian.  On another thread someplace I recounted my grandfather, from west-Mull in Scotland, schooled in divinity at the University of Glasgow.  He migrated to Boston where he became a lawyer,  But every once in a while he would go on mission for the Church, and around 1910 he moved to San Diego and stayed.  He even became District Attorney of San Diego County.  My father, born in Boston, was raised in San Diego.

So, originally a Bostonian, my father went back to Harvard University to go to medical school.  Then he stayed and taught.  Then the war came along and he became a flight surgeon in the Navy Air Corps, on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific.  He settled the family in north Philadelphia for the duration of the war, and briefly went back there after.  Given the family history, he was comfortable on both coasts.  But he had a special place in his heart for Southern California.  When we moved to Berkeley, it was Northern California, but that was OK with him.

California is beautiful, and so is New England and the Northeast.  It's nice in both places, but my father was driven by teaching and medical research.  After the war Berkeley and Harvard became the two best universities in the country, so Berkeley was his choice because he could have both great academics and the beautiful west coast.  This is where I grew up.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top