Some agricultural help re water drainage

Go down

Some agricultural help re water drainage

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:57 pm

When they built this house last year, they didn't put enough drainage in my garden (and my neighbours too). I get really bad surface water and the building boffins have been round and said they're going to dig up all the turf, put rake it over (clay soil?) and put some sand down then re-turf. They'll put plants in borders along the sides to help drainage.
I have a letter outlining exactly what they're going to do if anyone needs more specific info other than the technical jargon I just used Razz

Anyway, my questions are:

Will it work?

And more importantly, will there be an actual one million spiders heading toward my house?

Word. Cool
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some agricultural help re water drainage

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:02 pm

eddie wrote:When they built this house last year, they didn't put enough drainage in my garden (and my neighbours too). I get really bad surface water and the building boffins have been round and said they're going to dig up all the turf, put rake it over (clay soil?) and put some sand down then re-turf. They'll put plants in borders along the sides to help drainage.
I have a letter outlining exactly what they're going to do if anyone needs more specific info other than the technical jargon I just used Razz

Anyway, my questions are:

Will it work?

And more importantly, will there be an actual one million spiders heading toward my house?

No, because it will go through the sand and stop at the clay.  You need to dig a run off ditch and very slightly slope the garden towards it and get the run off ditch to go into the main drain.   You can fill the ditch with stones and it doesn't have to be very deep.   If you take off the turf it's easy to slight build it up from one side and then re-lay it with the lowest edge at the side of the ditch.   Clay forms a natural barrier, you will never get the standing water through it.

This site might help:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/dealing-with-garden-drainage--clay-soil/608808.html

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Just seen this sassy

I'm with you, I think it's going to be a complete waste of time.
They're simply turning over the clay earth and sticking sand over it and relaying new turf.

When we have a heavy rain (or some idiot like me leaves the outside tap on Rolling Eyes ) the water rolls toward the house instead of away and literally sits on the surface of the ground.

Word. Cool
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:28 pm

What Sassy described is called a 'French Drain'; this can be either a hidden one with some serious expense/material/manual labor involved or an open trench - lined with a weed barrier material - a 3" layer of river gravel!  The graduated depth will depend on several factors: worst case scenerio for standing storm water and ability to drain away from the foundation {as in the farthest distance for water flow} ...translation = might not have to be dug very deep.

BUT ...either method depends on the slope/grade - where the majority of the ground water ponds/puddles up - where you'd be able to drain the excess water off too, without causing adjoining property owners a ground water problem.  

But you're both right about being suspicious regarding that option as presented;  there's a ratio of mixing clay to top soil to sand = permeability for water movement.  

If that's not been done then the DUDE is just guessing ...and the problem will not be resolved and could become worse!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:40 pm

It's sure not easy.   Helped my ex (a landscaper) with a problem like it.   He was well trained and knew what he was doing.   It was by agricultural land and he ended up making a huge drain that went into the agricultural land drainage, and turned one area into a bog garden!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Right I'm going to have a word Monday. I knew I was right!

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Sounds like a plan.   Do they even know how deep the clay is, where the mains drainage is, how much slope there is, etc etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:01 pm

See how putting our collective heads together {women power} we talk a problem through and resource all the plausible solutions 
   just need the burly dude to do the heavy manual labor ...and a sexy six pack abs won't hurt either. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Now that I like lol

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:13 pm

Hahahahaha me too

And no sassy. I don't think he even knows where his arse is tbh Rolling Eyes

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:17 pm

sassy wrote:Now that I like lol
ECHOES, from 18 yrears ago  
I could hear my husbands 'HOOT' of laughter - that I'd remembered 'perambulation/ perambulity' for the storm water to drain away ...something I always forgot when typing up a landscape bid/proposal for him!  He'd be SOOOO proud of ME!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm sure he would xx

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:23 pm

I bet he would too.

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Gals ...I don't hear his chuckles as often I once did but when I do; well, it's such a RUSH of emotions!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:59 pm

I can't imagine how that must feel. I don't forget the things people tell me and I'd say you had a once-in-a-lifetime love with that dear man from what you've told me.

I bet your fights in here cause him some chuckles lol!

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:03 pm

4EVER2 wrote:   Gals ...I don't hear his chuckles as often I once did but when I do; well, it's such a RUSH of emotions!

I understand that so well, it's so precious that you can hear it, I still hear my Jackie xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:06 pm

They are always around us.

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:14 pm

They are, not in the same form, but their energy surrounds us. xx

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Yep xx

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25 pm

eddie wrote:I can't imagine how that must feel. I don't forget the things people tell me and I'd say you had a once-in-a-lifetime love with that dear man from what you've told me.

I bet your fights in here cause him some chuckles lol!
Oh, INDEEDY ...I used to be quite a push over for some bully contractor and I'd be on the radio bawling my head off and there'd just be a radio silence on his end; 'well, *sniff*sniff*, did you get that are did you leave me hanging? He'd reply:
"Oh, I heard you, every blubbering little whiny/sniveling bit of that - now go get your happy ass back in there and tell him how the cow ate that cabbage and you won't be taking any more crap off of his dumb ass if he ever want's another subcontractor job with your business or he can just pack his sorry ass up RIGHT NOW AND BE GONE ...and call me back when you done! Now get on with it! Dam, woman - stop being a door mat!"
He molded me a new spine, that Canadian did I love you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:28 pm

He sounds fantastic xx

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Yep he does sound fab. That's the sort of thing my dad would way too "So? Are you going to sit there and take it or get up off your arse and do something about it?'

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:44 pm

eddie wrote:Yep he does sound fab. That's the sort of thing my dad would way too "So? Are you going to sit there and take it or get up off your arse and do something  about it?'
He'd fortified me with plenty of 'Kudo's and Atta Girls' after I'd called back to update the situation and if there was any delay he'd be on his way pronto or calling some large mowing crew to stop what they were doing and go check out the scenario as I might be in danger. 
by sassy on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:28 pm
He sounds fantastic xx
We did do some jobs in down town KCMO {Kansas City Missouri} that were very - very gang/drug infested and those I never drove into alone! 
But I learned how to just 'SMILE' and acknowledge that a man will try to flirt with you first - intimidate you when the flirtation fails - bully you when both of those have met with stony silence and then just become wicked &  EVIL when you bash him with your intelligence and lay him out like a dead fish! 
So I'd just smile a calm sweet smile and state: "don't try to baffle me with your BS and I won't gut you with my big words and higher IQ in front of your men!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:47 pm

Sounds like something I would have said lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:17 pm

And so the work begins Shocked Sad Evil or Very Mad Suspect affraid

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Well I hope they do it properly, make sure you keep an eye on them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

eddie wrote:And so the work begins Shocked Sad Evil or Very Mad Suspect affraid

Pull on the MUCK BOOTS and pull up a comfy outdoor chair and keep a steady eye peeled for observation    & details!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Sassy and 4ever, my darling dears, I was planning to stay indoors and shut the curtains and pretend it's not happening. No

Word. Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down