Kim Lacapria and snopes and a mess???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kim Lacapria and snopes and a mess???

Post by eddie on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm not sure where to place this on the forum and I'm not sure what this is all about either, but if any of you use snopes.com for fact and hoax-checking then you may want to know that this message has just appeared on every page:

Kim LaCapria
Kim LaCapria is a New York-based content manager and longtime snopes.com message board participant. Although she was investigated and found to be "probably false" by snopes.com in early 2002, Kim later began writing for the site due to an executive order unilaterally passed by President Obama during a secret, late-night session (without the approval of Congress). Click like and share if you think this is an egregious example of legislative overreach.

(Page example where message appears http://www.snopes.com/wax-on-apples-causes-cancer/#)

So I googled her and found some odd links like "Kim LaCapria and Snopes Caught Lying About Barry Bush"
http://getoffthebs.com/kim-lacapria-lying-hack/

Clipped form link above:

In an article entitled ‘Deceased FBI Agent Found At Trump Tower With Silenced Pistol,’ Brian Michael reported that an armed 62 year old man tried to sneak in to the Trump Tower late Tuesday night. Interestingly the suspect was found with a semi-automatic handgun fitted with a silencer was later identified as Barry Lee Bush, a former Newark NJ FBI agent who allegedly has been dead since 2007.

Kim LaCapria, a so-called content manager writing for Snopes.com, was quick to call Fake News on Brian’s article, however she has offered absolutely nothing of merit to support her allegations.

LaCapria began her ridiculous hit piece by alleging that:

The article contained a whole host of bizarre and difficult to parse claims, beginning with the inclusion of an FBI agent supposedly killed in the line of duty in 2007, suggesting that Bush’s demise was faked and the agent subsequently went deep undercover to work for operatives of the U.S. government or other entities. [wow–Breaking News!]

The New York Times reported on the death of agent Barry Lee Bush in April 2007:

While the circumstances were still under investigation, a statement by the F.B.I. said that the agent, Barry Lee Bush, 52, of the bureau’s Newark office, “may have been fatally wounded as a result of the accidental discharge of another agent’s weapon during a dynamic arrest situation.”

In the 99-year history of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Mr. Bush, who was married and the father of two grown children, was the 51st agent killed in the line of duty, and the first to be fatally shot in 10 years. He had worked for the bureau for almost 20 years, in Newark, Kansas City, Mo., and elsewhere.

(More in link)

There's also this: "Snopes vs. Daily Caller: Fact-checker hit as Hillary backer"
Link: http://mynewsla.com/hollywood/2016/06/20/snopes-vs-daily-caller-fact-checker-hit-as-hillary-backer/

Clipped from link:

A conservative blogger at The Daily Caller has provoked a fierce response from fact-checking site Snopes.com notable for its length and tone.

Kim LaCapria of slopes.com. Photo via Twitter
Kim LaCapria of slopes.com. Photo via Twitter
At issue is whether Snopes writer Kim LaCapria is “playing defense for prominent Democrats like Hillary Clinton.”
Daily Caller associate editor Peter Hasson on Friday posted a 570-word critique of LaCapria under the headline “Fact-Checking Snopes: Website’s Political ‘Fact-Checker’ Is Just A Failed Liberal Blogger.”

Hasson alleged that her posts at Inquisitr, her former employer, “consistently displayed clear partisanship.”

“Her columns apparently failed to impress her readership, oftentimes failing to get more than 10-20 shares,” Hasson wrote.

Two days later, Snopes founder David Mikkelson called out The Daily Caller.

In a 2,600-word defense of LaCapria, Mikkelson derided Hasson (without naming him) for his “slanted and factually-challenged output debunked here at snopes.com.”

“Instead of acknowledging and correcting his mistakes, he tried to deflect attention from them by attacking the person who had the temerity to point them out, our own Kim LaCapria,” Mikkelson said in a point-by-point critique.

(More on link)

Interesting.
What's it all about????

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kim Lacapria and snopes and a mess???

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Well, from what I've been reading about this karfarkle since back in June ...it seems that this Kim got her 'TIT' in the ringer for writing some opinion type pieces for 'DAILY CALLER' and what had been edited and printed up for 'SNOPES' 

Daily Caller did not do any FACT CHECKING OF HER ARTICLE ...very dangerous Shocked

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/19/failed-daily-caller-writer-throws-temper-tantrum-about-being-debunked-by-snopes-com/
I (and I think many people) believe journos are people, and have opinions. But their job (at least on the news side) is to write about the facts, as they research and discover them. Does having opinions — even strong opinions — mean that one cannot have the job of studiously researching the facts around a particular issue? Unless the author can demonstrate with evidence a pattern of this writer either putting out false information, or egregiously omitting easily obtainable opposing information, they have not made the case that this Snopes writer is not doing her job.
I realize this is quite possibly a novel idea to the Daily Caller writer, but here at snopes.com we employ fact-checkers and editors who review and amend (as necessary) everything we publish to ensure its fairness and accuracy rather than just allowing our writers to pass off biased, opinionated, slanted, skewed, and unethically partisan work as genuine news reporting.
by David Mikkelson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:35 pm

BTW ...that's WHY, when I see members dragging BLOGGERS BS in here and attempting to use that as a viable 'source' ...I WANT A LINK!
 I want to read that document that Tommykins can't understand Wink
Quill, has never done that; Didgey-dooer & Tommykins both have tried that in the past ...if they want to use something like a blog for general conversation - Hey, that's perfectly okay ...just don't try to pass off a BLOGGERS OP'd piece as the WORD OF GOD WHEN TRYING TO PROVE A POINT - support a fact!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:58 am

I like the point made about journalists and opinions, though. Of course journalists have opinions, people need to grow up and realize that.

If it were up to me, every journo would have a link from their byline to a statement of biases and positions. It would better serve the reader IMOSHO ...

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Snopes seem to want to distance themselves from her

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:28 pm

eddie wrote:Snopes seem to want to distance themselves from her

Wouldn't you too '?' ...her entire hysteria driven diatribe began when she wasn't getting the thousands of fawning/mindless FB & twitter followers that she was seeing the other OP's getting on their accounts!  Then she tried to BLAME-GAME that "someone must be sabotaging her behind her back ...why it must be someone from SNOPES.com" Suspect
Stupid - Stupid move and a career busting method of biting the hand that provided you a place to write!  SELF-INFLICTED STUPID in all of it's glory!
by Ben Reilly on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 pm
I like the point made about journalists and opinions, though. Of course journalists have opinions, people need to grow up and realize that.

If it were up to me, every journo would have a link from their byline to a statement of biases and positions. It would better serve the reader IMOSHO ...
Concur completely ...but sadly, for the mindless that I've tried to explain the difference between a 'BLOGGERS OP' piece VS a written documented/factual/scientifically reported piece, will still fall on mute ears and eyes when they just won't accept the TRUTH!   No  
A blogger's written FB/twitter - opinion is just that = An Opinion Piece and not a factual document!  Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:31 pm

We are all aware that blogs aren't facts necessarily, but they can contain facts.
Just thought I'd correct that.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 pm

eddie wrote:We are all aware that blogs aren't facts necessarily, but they can contain facts.
Just thought I'd correct that.
Rolling Eyes   Hmmm, what I posted and why I posted it ...is exactly the opposite of what you ASSUMED!  "we are all aware" - Naaaaaa, there are a couple of members that quite often try to use a 'Bloggers' POV as their proof for facts & data when that's not either!

What I posted >
Concur completely ...but sadly, for the mindless that I've tried to explain the difference between a 'BLOGGERS OP' piece VS a written documented/factual/scientifically reported piece, will still fall on mute ears and eyes when they just won't accept the TRUTH!     

A blogger's written FB/twitter - opinion is just that = An Opinion Piece and not a factual document!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top