Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Nope, neither have I, but as general debate forums go this is one of the best I have joined.
The relatively few forums I know about have a very small core of regular prolific posters, this one has a wider range, which obviously results in more heated debate, which is good.

Others which have been good imo have been
"The Mirror forum"...gone.
"Dallas Digest"....gone.
"Fresh Horizons"....gone.


_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by eddie on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Sometimes Syl, we have to look beyond what a poster is trying to "debate" about and look to see what he or she is really saying.

Disruptive people spoil forums.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32190
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by eddie on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:46 pm

And I think this forum is one of the best too. It's a good mix of left and right thinkers.

The minute it becomes "one wing only", I'm off.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32190
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:52 pm

eddie wrote:Sometimes Syl, we have to look beyond what a poster is trying to "debate" about  and look to see what he or she is really saying.

Disruptive people spoil forums.

Yep, and often the written word in debate can be taken the wrong way, we cant see expressions or humour, so it's easy to misinterpret someone's real meaning.

A bit of disruption is inevitable, people get annoyed and go off track, personal insults are the downfall of many threads though imo....once they start the topic is usually ruined.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by eddie on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:54 pm

I don't tend to overly use emoticons so I guess some people may not know when I'm joking or sincere either.
I've been accused a few times of being too cryptic.

I think most on here know how to take me, I don't know, I've never asked.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32190
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:36 pm

eddie wrote:And I think this forum is one of the best too. It's a good mix of left and right thinkers.

The minute it becomes "one wing only", I'm off.

The minute it becomes one wing only, it's boring and lurching toward death.

This site could be better, though, if we'd all do our best to abide by a few principles:

1) Remember that personal fights are boring for other posters and ruin threads for people who actually want to debate the topic.

2) Try to understand what a poster is actually trying to say, rather than getting into a war of semantics that, again, ruins threads for people who actually want to debate.

3) Try not to impugn people's motives when you don't have enough evidence.

_________________
“If there is consent on both or all three or all four, however many are involved in the sex act, it's perfectly fine. Whatever it is. But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent in part of the equation, then here come the rape police."

- Rush Limbaugh, America's most influential right-wing commentator.
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 23001
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:41 pm

It's odd how people are classed as right wing or left wing, I don't think I have posted anywhere else where people are put into right or left wing boxes.

I don't even think some of us are predominantly one or the other... scratch

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:46 pm

Syl wrote:It's odd how people are classed as right wing or left wing, I don't think I have posted anywhere else where people are put into right or left wing boxes.

I don't even think some of us are predominantly one or the other... scratch

In this context it's more of a shorthand for "a group of regular posters who have a variety of sometimes conflicting viewpoints."

_________________
“If there is consent on both or all three or all four, however many are involved in the sex act, it's perfectly fine. Whatever it is. But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent in part of the equation, then here come the rape police."

- Rush Limbaugh, America's most influential right-wing commentator.
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 23001
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:It's odd how people are classed as right wing or left wing, I don't think I have posted anywhere else where people are put into right or left wing boxes.

I don't even think some of us are predominantly one or the other... scratch

In this context it's more of a shorthand for "a group of regular posters who have a variety of sometimes conflicting viewpoints."

Since 2001, the Righty VS Lefty issue has always grown stronger right around the elections season and the more the contentious the election process the worse the angst is among the membership and their political POV's.  The Brexit just happened and now we American's are facing our own cesspool of cray-cray-craziness! But it's far from boring!

It was so bad during GWB's 2nd term we had one member offer to drive by and drop off some homemade explosive devices in most of our driveways; sadly the poor dude lived in a VA hospital and was limited to his range of motion let alone his mobility away from his room! 

To the question; there are NO PERFECT HUMANS so there are NO PERFECT FORUMS ...there are interesting ones and there are little friendly drop by and say hello on your way through in the morning and there are the ones that enjoy a good hearty round of 'WTF' were you thinking, just to get the blood pumping! 
Anything else is just a lifeless chat room dying a slow death and soon to be a DEAD ZONE!


Last edited by 4EVER2 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:14 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

In this context it's more of a shorthand for "a group of regular posters who have a variety of sometimes conflicting viewpoints."

Since 2001, the Righty VS Lefty issue has always grown stronger right around the elections season and the more the contentious the election process the worse the angst is among the membership and their political POV's.  The Brexit just happened and now we American's are facing our own cesspool of cray-cray-craziness! But it's far from boring!

It was so bad during GWB's 2nd term we had on member offer to drive by and drop off some homemade explosive devices in most of our driveways; sadly the poor dude lived in a VA hospital and was limited to his range of motion let alone his mobility away from his room! 

To the question; there are NO PERFECT HUMANS so there are NO PERFECT FORUMS ...there are interesting ones and there are little friendly drop by and say hello on your way through in the morning and there are the ones that enjoy a good hearty round of 'WTF' were you thinking, just to get the blood pumping! 
Anything else is just a lifeless chat room dying a slow death and soon to be a DEAD ZONE!


Stepford forums don't keep feisty posters long, on the other hand the nastiest forums can drive people away pretty quick too, who wants to be in the middle of abuse 2 minutes after they have logged in?....it's nice to have a mix of heated debate and chat.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Syl wrote:Nope, neither have I, but as general debate forums go this is one of the best I have joined.
The relatively few  forums I know about have a very small core of regular prolific posters, this one has a wider range, which obviously results in more heated debate, which is good.

Others which have been good imo have been
"The Mirror forum"...gone.
"Dallas Digest"....gone.
"Fresh Horizons"....gone.


FH had a good balance of posters and some great characters. I think it was about the best one, and Micky gave us some massive entertainment.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6869
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:46 pm

eddie wrote:Sometimes Syl, we have to look beyond what a poster is trying to "debate" about  and look to see what he or she is really saying.

Disruptive people spoil forums.

And yet when there's a mega bitch going on, it's usually the busiest thread.

lol!
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6869
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever belonged to a perfect forum?

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:13 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Nope, neither have I, but as general debate forums go this is one of the best I have joined.
The relatively few  forums I know about have a very small core of regular prolific posters, this one has a wider range, which obviously results in more heated debate, which is good.

Others which have been good imo have been
"The Mirror forum"...gone.
"Dallas Digest"....gone.
"Fresh Horizons"....gone.


FH  had a good balance of posters and some great characters.  I think it was about the best one, and Micky gave us some massive entertainment.

He certainly did....and manage to upset a good majority along the way. Razz

Your avi.... lol!

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum