Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:31 am

To me, one of the most fascinating aspects of climate change denial is how deniers essentially never publish in legitimate journals, but instead rely on talk shows, grossly error-laden op-eds, and hugely out-of-date claims (that were never right to start with).

In 2012, National Science Board member James Lawrence Powell investigated peer-reviewed literature published about climate change and found that out of 13,950 articles, 13,926 supported the reality of global warming. Despite a lot of sound and fury from the denial machine, deniers have not really been able to come up with a coherent argument against a consensus. The same is true for a somewhat different study that showed a 97 percent consensus among climate scientists supporting both the reality of global warming and the fact that human emissions are behind it.

Powell recently finished another such investigation, this time looking at peer-reviewed articles published between November 2012 and December 2013. Out of 2,258 articles (with 9,136 authors), how many do you think explicitly rejected human-driven global warming? Go on, guess!

One.


http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/01/14/climate_change_another_study_shows_they_don_t_publish_actual_papers.html

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Lurker on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 am

They get their facts from Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.

_________________
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
Lurker
Lurker

Posts : 6034
Join date : 2013-01-20
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 am

LOL and vice-versa ... it's the circle-jerk of idiocy!

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:50 pm

I think this sums up how scary the situation is:

Just watch the Video


http://news.discovery.com/earth/global-warming/nasa-global-warming-goes-on-140121.htm


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Good lord, and people still think they can gauge what's happening by stepping outside for a bit ...

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Macro climate vs micro brains ....what can you do ?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 am

Both sides have no firm evidence to backup their claims although I wonder how many people would switch sides if money/taxes/levies were taken out of the picture.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 am

Warren Moon wrote:Both sides have no firm evidence to backup their claims although I wonder how many people would switch sides if money/taxes/levies were taken out of the picture.

Such things should not be in the picture at all. We're talking about whether scientific conclusions are valid, not about how we should address climate change, or what solutions might work best. Two different things.

In regards to firm evidence, here's a little boy showing how introducing CO2 to a closed system similar to our atmosphere raises the temperature:



This is a subject people have been studying for centuries, and there is no doubt as to what is happening. We're adding CO2 to the atmosphere and the planet is warming as a result.

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 am

They are two different things but it is amazing how quickly governments want peoples' money after the first thing is mentioned.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 am

I disagree with what you have written.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Warren Moon wrote:They are two different things but it is amazing how quickly governments want peoples' money after the first thing is mentioned.

Again, that has no bearing. If we could only get to the point where we all accepted what the mountain of evidence has pointed to, we could then begin to debate about what to do about it. There are non-tax solution for fighting global warming that are quite appealing and would probably work. But we'll never get a chance to have that debate until we all face the facts.

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Are they facts though? I doubt it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Warren Moon wrote:Are they facts though?  I doubt it.

Why?

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Human beings have being conning, tricking, deceiving since the dawn of existence and throughout history. Never underestimate the power of the lowest of the low. Money is at stake here, money, control and power. Many men desire these.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Warren Moon wrote:Human beings have being conning, tricking, deceiving since the dawn of existence and throughout history.  Never underestimate the power of the lowest of the low.  Money is at stake here, money, control and power.  Many men desire these.

But as I've pointed out, climate change has been studied for centuries -- and, over the past few decades, with increasingly sophisticated tools, by people from all corners of the globe, most of whom will never even meet one another. All lines of evidence point to the same conclusions.

We know, from measuring the temperature of the atmosphere, the oceans and all over our land masses, that the average global temperature climbs every year. These temperatures are not being measured by one group alone -- they're being re-taken by many different groups who are all reaching the same conclusion about warming.

We know, from measuring solar output, that it is not increasing (in fact it's slightly decreased over the past several decades). The sun is the only source of heat that can add heat to the atmosphere.

We know that greenhouse gases lead to warming, and we know we're adding 30 billion metric tons of CO2 to the atmosphere each year.

So unless you're implying the good old Evil Scientist Conspiracy -- which is ludicrous -- we know that the Earth is warming at a dangerously rapid rate, and we know that we're the reason.

What is left for debate is how to address it; we have to move beyond the point at which people simply deny it. The evidence is such that you might as well be claiming the world is flat at this point.

Please just consider this:

Despite searching just over a year's worth of the scientific literature on global warming and climate change, one man's exhaustive search could turn up only a single paper that dissented from the consensus view on the human causes of global warming.

That search was made by James Powell, a retired geology professor and former college president turned science historian who also served for 12 years on the National Science Board, to which he was appointed by Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Powell conducted the search using the Web of Science, an online database of the peer-reviewed scientific literature on virtually any topic. Plugging in terms like "global warming" and "global climate change," he first searched all the way back to 1991.

"If scientists allegedly disagree about it ... then we should find the evidence for it in the peer-reviewed literature," he explained. “It’s a little bit like what people say in a courtroom: You can say anything that you can get away with, but when it comes right down to it what really counts is the evidence."

The tally for that search: Nearly 14,000 papers that supported human causes behind global warming (chiefly from burning fossil fuels over the past century), and just 24 that rejected human causes.

"And by reject, I mean they either flatly said global warming was wrong – which people say all the time in the press and in front of Congress – or they said there’s some other process that better explains the information," Powell said in an interview with weather.com.

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/startling-number-scientists-dispute-human-caused-global-warming-20140122

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:13 am

Yeah.....I remember the last ice age. Scientist are not absolute, they often make terrible mistakes and then fall back on, "We simply didn't know enough at the time".

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 am

You're older than 50 then, I'd have to say ...

Do you know better than climate scientists? Did you give that article any thought?

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:26 am

We are on a lump of minerals spinning around a blob of ignited gas, no living things gets out alive and we should just enjoy ourselves - here and now.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:33 am

Warren Moon wrote:We are on a lump of minerals spinning around a blob of ignited gas, no living things gets out alive and we should just enjoy ourselves - here and now.

I disagree. It's great to enjoy yourself, but you should also think about keeping the Earth habitable for generations as yet unborn.

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:35 am

The world is overpopulated, nature has her quirky ways to deal with this.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 am

Warren Moon wrote:The world is overpopulated, nature has her quirky ways to deal with this.

It certainly does, and I pity any human being that will be forced to try to survive them.

_________________
It's so hard to be without you / used to feel so angry, now I only feel humble.

- Ryan Adams
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 27282
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers? Empty Re: Ever notice that climate change denialists never publish scientific papers?

Post by veya_victaous on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:26 am

@warren
and that's why I say the right to vote should end at 55  tongue  tongue  tongue
Not enough a stake to make thing right

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum