Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Syl on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:56 pm

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-manchester-airport-warn-passengers-11642485

The practice of Female Genital Mutation is a criminal offence punishable by 14 years imprisonment.

The practice is also illegally carried out in this country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18900803

"Every year around 20,000 young women in the UK and France are "at risk" from female genital mutilation (FGM), but the way each country's authorities deal with those who carry it out are very different."


_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Syl wrote:http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-manchester-airport-warn-passengers-11642485

The practice of Female Genital Mutation is a criminal offence punishable by 14 years imprisonment.

The practice is also illegally carried out in this country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18900803

"Every year around 20,000 young women in the UK and France are "at risk" from female genital mutilation (FGM), but the way each country's authorities deal with those who carry it out are very different."


How are they going to stop it?
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6869
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:37 am

What are the warning signs then?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29337
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Syl on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:27 pm


It's a bit confusing as to what they expect passengers to do though....if they report suspicions that young girls are being taken out of the country to be mutilated in the school holidays, why are so very few people ever arrested here?

The practice is carried out here.....why has it not been stopped in the UK at source?

This is the third year running GMP have operated from Manchester airport trying to raise awareness.....so they must think it's useful, not sure how.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Syl wrote:
It's a bit confusing as to what they expect passengers to do though....if they report suspicions that young girls are being taken out of the country to be mutilated in the school holidays, why are so very few people ever arrested here?

The practice is carried out here.....why has it not been stopped in the UK at source?

This is the third year running GMP have operated from Manchester airport trying to raise awareness.....so they must think it's useful, not sure how.

I don't know why they are bothering to 'raise awareness'. What a useless exercise when what's needed is a hefty sentence for mutilating children. This goes so way back in their culture it's ingrained beyond redemption. You'd think after generations of suffering, the women themselves would say 'enough!'.. .but they don't. They perpetuate it themselves. Which is how abuse works. It's like those bloody posters they put up in an effort to 'educate' young Muslim men that you can't rape or sexually abuse women. Do you think for one moment they give a toss about that or it will change anything? More apt would be a poster saying 'You will be imprisoned then deported if you rape or abuse any woman in this country.'
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6869
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Obviously the police and authorities would then have to act and do something about it.....at present what do they actually do?

The number of young girls it happens to here in this country is unknown because of the secrecy....but it's thought to be in the thousands.

Horrendous though it is that so many schoolgirls get shipped back to their parents countries at the start of the long summer school holidays, so giving them time to heal, would the chances of people who do this to the girls being caught not be greater if the police concentrated on the likely suspects here?

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Jules on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-manchester-airport-warn-passengers-11642485

The practice of Female Genital Mutation is a criminal offence punishable by 14 years imprisonment.

The practice is also illegally carried out in this country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18900803

"Every year around 20,000 young women in the UK and France are "at risk" from female genital mutilation (FGM), but the way each country's authorities deal with those who carry it out are very different."


How are they going to stop it?

Might I add that the modern western practice of Vajazzle is classed as FGM too. TOWIE girls beware! Suspect lol!


_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:20 pm

Jules wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

How are they going to stop it?

Might I add that the modern western practice of Vajazzle is classed as FGM too. TOWIE girls beware! Suspect  lol!


Ugh I think it's awful
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6869
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Syl on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:53 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Jules wrote:

Might I add that the modern western practice of Vajazzle is classed as FGM too. TOWIE girls beware! Suspect  lol!


Ugh I think it's awful

It's a ridiculous fad, but having a few removable swarovsky crystals stuck around your pubic area is hardly the same as having your genital area sliced off and sewn up.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Ugh I think it's awful

It's a ridiculous fad, but having a few removable swarovsky crystals stuck around your pubic area is hardly the same as having your genital area sliced off and sewn up.  

I think there's some parts of the human body that should not be messed with.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6869
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Syl on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's a ridiculous fad, but having a few removable swarovsky crystals stuck around your pubic area is hardly the same as having your genital area sliced off and sewn up.  

I think there's some parts of the human body that should not be messed with.  

When it's done for cosmetic reasons, I completely agree.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Miffs2 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:42 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-manchester-airport-warn-passengers-11642485

The practice of Female Genital Mutation is a criminal offence punishable by 14 years imprisonment.

The practice is also illegally carried out in this country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18900803

"Every year around 20,000 young women in the UK and France are "at risk" from female genital mutilation (FGM), but the way each country's authorities deal with those who carry it out are very different."


How are they going to stop it?
They can't stop it. All they can do is chuck some money around make some posters and try to look as if they are being proactive.
We have a shed load of laws against it but how many are prosecuted?
avatar
Miffs2

Posts : 2013
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Syl on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Hardly any.
This is a 2 year old news report. \/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26681364

"MPs have said it is "unforgivable" that there have been no UK prosecutions since laws against FGM were introduced nearly 30 years ago.

This was despite more than 140 referrals to police in the past four years.

The Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 replaced a 1985 Act, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, raising the maximum penalty from five to 14 years in prison.

It also made it an offence for UK nationals or permanent UK residents to carry out FGM abroad even in countries where it is legal."


_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12885
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Miffs2 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Syl wrote:Hardly any.
This is a 2 year old news report. \/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26681364

"MPs have said it is "unforgivable" that there have been no UK prosecutions since laws against FGM were introduced nearly 30 years ago.

This was despite more than 140 referrals to police in the past four years.

The Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 replaced a 1985 Act, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, raising the maximum penalty from five to 14 years in prison.

It also made it an offence for UK nationals or permanent UK residents to carry out FGM abroad even in countries where it is legal."

Why the lack of will to prosecute I wonder ?
avatar
Miffs2

Posts : 2013
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Police at Manchester airport warn passengers about Female FGM.

Post by Didge on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Syl wrote:Hardly any.
This is a 2 year old news report. \/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26681364

"MPs have said it is "unforgivable" that there have been no UK prosecutions since laws against FGM were introduced nearly 30 years ago.

This was despite more than 140 referrals to police in the past four years.

The Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 replaced a 1985 Act, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, raising the maximum penalty from five to 14 years in prison.

It also made it an offence for UK nationals or permanent UK residents to carry out FGM abroad even in countries where it is legal."

Why the lack of will to prosecute I wonder ?


Do you know what I think its about Nems?

Its a double edged sword.
The child is indoctrinated to believe its part of their faith.
Thus they will not rat out their parents or relatives resposnible.
Estimations of 137,000 women and girls have been mutilated in the UK.
Again this goes back to my point on the belief around wearing the headscarf of Burkha. Where a child will be raised to believe this is a religious requirement and to not dishonour their parents.
This is why I keep stipulating why poor beliefs based off bad conceptions is not people choosing to wear or want this barbaric mutilation. The choice is the belief system itself, where people are indoctrinated to believe something wrong is then to them right.

This I reckon more than anything is why you have not seen a conviction, as I guess none of the victims have been willing to testify against their parents or relatives
If any have been willing and there has been no convictions, then heads should role
avatar
Didge

Posts : 3938
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum