Apology for my Holocaust joke

Go down

Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:52 am

I made a joke about the Holocaust earlier that is not acceptable. I'm sorry.

We run this site a bit differently, as one in which the moderators are much more free to be themselves in the threads. I came at my joke not as the site founder, or as the guy with whom the buck stops, but as just me, an American who loves the work of Sarah Silverman, a Jewish comedian who jokes about the Holocaust all the time.

But, she's Jewish, and she gets a pass on making such jokes. I don't, but for a moment, caught up in my own cleverness, I forgot that.

I want everyone to know that I don't think the Holocaust in any way was a joke. It was one of the worst acts any group of people could do to any other group, much like slavery, and I don't think of it in any other way. I have advocated for my own political and moral positions in the belief, in part, that they would stand a better chance of averting such atrocities in the future.

Lord Foul made a great point in that anyone else who made the joke I made would have been subject to discipline. I don't want to be the guy who makes the rules and then gets to break them. I just wrote what I did without thinking about the larger implications. Now I have thought about them, so I apologize. Regardless of my intent, the joke was poorly thought out, and I regret it.

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24451
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:01 am

A very fair post Ben. Smile

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31029
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:19 am

I disagree, many just as offensive jokes have been allowed in the past and you posted in repsonse to be a called a nazi, which means it is compeletely in context and NOT even the biggest insult to holocaust surviors and victims in that thread, COMPARING being Moderated on a forum to the crimes of the Nazis is a MUCH bigger insult to Holocaust victims.


If you are in the wrong then didge is more in the wrong.

To be perfectly honest YOU shoud have actually moderated him earlier and not let his posts get to that point.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18534
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:35 am

veya_victaous wrote:I disagree, many just as offensive jokes have been allowed in the past and you posted in repsonse to be a called a nazi, which means it is compeletely in context and NOT even the biggest insult to holocaust surviors and victims in that thread, COMPARING being Moderated on a forum to the crimes of the Nazis is a MUCH bigger insult to Holocaust victims.


If you are in the wrong then didge is more in the wrong.

To be perfectly honest YOU shoud have actually moderated him earlier and not let his posts get to that point.

Isn't it up to Ben what he feels bad about?

Perhaps there are too many references to nazis on this forum anyway. Cool

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31029
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:I disagree, many just as offensive jokes have been allowed in the past and you posted in repsonse to be a called a nazi, which means it is compeletely in context and NOT even the biggest insult to holocaust surviors and victims in that thread, COMPARING being Moderated on a forum to the crimes of the Nazis is a MUCH bigger insult to Holocaust victims.


If you are in the wrong then didge is more in the wrong.

To be perfectly honest YOU shoud have actually moderated him earlier and not let his posts get to that point.

Isn't it up to Ben what he feels bad about?

Perhaps there are too many references to nazis on this forum anyway. Cool

Well in the thread i locked it is apparent that didge is harassing ben, then decided to insult him in which ben responded with Humour and didge decided to try and play the Holocaust card Like a hypocrite, cause he just suggested ben was treating him like that badly by disagreeing with him.

So Ben should not feel Bad, Because Victor is just as offensive when he wants to be, and didge doesn't have a leg to stand on. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18534
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:45 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Isn't it up to Ben what he feels bad about?

Perhaps there are too many references to nazis on this forum anyway. Cool

Well in the thread i locked it is apparent that didge is harassing ben, then decided to insult him in which ben responded with Humour and didge decided to try and play the Holocaust card Like a hypocrite, cause he just suggested ben was treating him like that badly by disagreeing with him.

So Ben should not feel Bad, Because Victor is just as offensive when he wants to be, and didge doesn't have a leg to stand on. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

This isn't about Didge or what he posted, it's about what Ben posted in response. He feels bad about it, and he's apologised.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31029
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by eddie on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:46 am

I don't ever think jokes should be moderated - I've always said it.
Jokes get us through life and we should be able to laugh at things - life is too fucking short and too fucking serious.

It's ridiculous.
But hey, that's what happens when you are on a forum with a bunch of babies.

And Veya is right. It's okay to compare someone to a Nazi but not make a joke?
Grow the fuck up people.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35843
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by nicko on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:46 am

Veya complaining about someone being offensive,


Take a look at your own posts sometime.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10084
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:08 am

eddie wrote:I don't ever think jokes should be moderated - I've always said it.
Jokes get us through life and we should be able to laugh at things - life is too fucking short and too fucking serious.

It's ridiculous.
But hey, that's what happens when you are on a forum with a bunch of babies.

And Veya is right. It's okay to compare someone to a Nazi but not make a joke?
Grow the fuck up people.

WTF is wrong with you? Ben said he felt bad - all by himself. At least allow him to decide for himself how he feels.

Nicko is also right - Veya makes offensive posts all the time, so he's got no call to criticise Didge on this occasion.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31029
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Syl on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:21 am

It takes a lot more guts to publicly apologise for something you feel you have done wrong than it does to say nothing for fear of losing face.




_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16483
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by eddie on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:I don't ever think jokes should be moderated - I've always said it.
Jokes get us through life and we should be able to laugh at things - life is too fucking short and too fucking serious.

It's ridiculous.
But hey, that's what happens when you are on a forum with a bunch of babies.

And Veya is right. It's okay to compare someone to a Nazi but not make a joke?
Grow the fuck up people.

WTF is wrong with you? Ben said he felt bad - all by himself. At least allow him to decide for himself how he feels.

Nicko is also right - Veya makes offensive posts all the time, so he's got no call to criticise Didge on this occasion.

I gave my opnion. I don't recall telling Ben what to do or how to feel.

I said the same when storm was banned for his joke.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35843
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Didge on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:56 am

eddie wrote:I don't ever think jokes should be moderated - I've always said it.
Jokes get us through life and we should be able to laugh at things - life is too fucking short and too fucking serious.

It's ridiculous.
But hey, that's what happens when you are on a forum with a bunch of babies.

And Veya is right. It's okay to compare someone to a Nazi but not make a joke?
Grow the fuck up people.


Veya is nothing short of a dictator who simply is unable to understand basic simple poins made.

The video I posted was of the German soldiers, German Paratroppers etc, goosestepping as they had made an oath to blindly serve a dictator. That does not even make the Nazi's even though some were, the Waffen SS were the ideological Nazi troops. That does not mean I was calling anyone a Nazi and it shows how pathetic that little prat is to even claim I was. We the posters are the ones having to gose step to pendantic rules, as if it is a dictatorship, where we have to blindly follow orders, without being able to question. I even had already explained this but again that immature twat simply is that thick he cannot comprehend.
Where of course you are a moderator also clueless to this where Syl understood what I mean, but no surprise you stanicl up for that twat abusing his powers again. And no surprise you fail to grasp this point based on your ignorance of history.
As to Ben's apology, that is heartfelt and I know you did not mean any intentional offense and recognise how it would easily offend people

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13408
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Didge on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:19 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

WTF is wrong with you? Ben said he felt bad - all by himself. At least allow him to decide for himself how he feels.

Nicko is also right - Veya makes offensive posts all the time, so he's got no call to criticise Didge on this occasion.

I gave my opnion. I don't recall telling Ben what to do or how to feel.

I said the same when storm was banned for his joke.


Except you failed utterly to understand the point I made where I even clarified I was not even calling anyone a Nazi, which is not even against the rules. That though is far removed from making jokes about ther fact people were killed by genocide and then put into ovens, so as to speed up the process of killing, eliminating the evidence and you equate my video to that?
Seriously, who is using Eddie's brain, because you seem to have sold yours on ebay

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13408
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

WTF is wrong with you? Ben said he felt bad - all by himself. At least allow him to decide for himself how he feels.

Nicko is also right - Veya makes offensive posts all the time, so he's got no call to criticise Didge on this occasion.

I gave my opnion. I don't recall telling Ben what to do or how to feel.

I said the same when storm was banned for his joke.

You told everyone to "grow up", and called us "babies", and your post was aggressive for no reason. Ben wasn't reacting to complaints - he felt bad all by himself.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31029
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by nicko on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:45 pm

It takes a man to publically apologise when he thinks he's wrong,

Ben came up to the line.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10084
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Didge on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:47 pm

nicko wrote:It takes a man to publically apologise when he thinks he's wrong,

Ben came up to the line.


Agreed and it was very nice to see, ben is able to see and recognise that.
I certainly was not calling anyone Nazi's though happy to apologise if they felt wrongly that I did.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13408
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Syl on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Major wrote:Some ass licking going on today.

Saying sorry is for politicians who steal from us mere mortals, then say it hoping we will forgive them so they can do it again.


Speaking generally... people have strong opinions about  certain subjects, they should be allowed to express them without being thought of as babies or ass lickers..

I do agree that some complain about controversial comments to back up their campaigns to get some people banned from forums, we have all seen that in the past.
That's not to be confused with genuine upset. No one wants heavy handed moderation or censorship ...but surely a line has to be drawn somewhere.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16483
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Apology for my Holocaust joke

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum