Brexit: Anger over 'Bregret' as Leave voters say they wanted 'protest vote' and thought UK would stay in EU

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brexit: Anger over 'Bregret' as Leave voters say they wanted 'protest vote' and thought UK would stay in EU

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:57 am

Some said they had not forseen the immediate economic impact, while others were angry at Nigel Faraga's admisison that NHS funding claim was a 'mistake'

Remain voters are voicing their outrage amid claims by some people who voted for a Brexit that they regret their decision.
Electoral services workers have reported calls from people asking if they could change their decision after Friday’s result became clear, while some publicly admitted they intended to use a “protest vote” in the belief the UK would remain the European Union.

The anxiety – dubbed “Bregret” – emerged as the value of the pound tumbled and the markets crashed, while others felt betrayed by Nigel Farage’s admission that a Vote Leave poster pledging to spend millions of pounds supposedly given to the EU on the NHS was a “mistake”.

Mandy Suthi, a student who voted to leave, told ITV News she would tick the Remain box if she had a second chance and said her parents and siblings also regretted their choice.

“I would go back to the polling station and vote to stay, simply because this morning the reality is kicking in,” she said.
“I wish we had the opportunity to vote again,” she added, saying she was “very disappointed”.

Khembe Gibbons, a lifeguard from Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, also said she had regrets about her decision after Mr Farage said he could not guarantee NHS funding.

"We've left the EU, David Cameron's resigned, we're left with Boris, and Nigel has just basically given away that the NHS claim was a lie,” she wrote.
"I personally voted leave believing these lies, and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote."

A woman calling into an LBC radio show echoed the sentiment, saying she felt “conned” by the claim and felt “a bit sick”.
A voter who gave his name as Adam told the BBC he would have changed his pro-Brexit vote if he knew the short-term consequences it would have for the UK economy.
“The David Cameron resignation has blown me away to be honest and the period of uncertainty that we’re going to be magnified now so yeah, I’m quite worried,” he said.
”I'm shocked that we voted for Leave, I didn't think that was going to happen. I didn't think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain.“
A blogger from Sheffield shared a message from a friend working in electoral services, claiming regretful Brexit voters and pro-Remain members of the electorate who failed to turn out because they were confident of the win had been calling in.
“We had people phone up today wanting to change their vote or ask if they could still vote as they don’t want to leave,” the message read.

A friend (who works in electoral services) writes... pic.twitter.com/KQwkUBFNO6
— Anandamide (@anandamide) June 24, 2016

Several pro-EU politicians voiced their suspicions that some Leave voters would have regrets on Friday, with Labour MP Diane Abbott and Green MP Caroline Lucas said Euroscepticism had become a “kind of proxy” for deep-seated problems with immigration, the NHS and other key issues.

Tony Blair, the former Prime Minister, said the Remain campaign had failed to show people the referendum  “was not a protest vote against the Government or indeed the Establishment”.

Opinion polls in the months leading up to Thursday’s historic vote had dominantly shown a lead for Remain, although surveys in recent days showed the result on a knife-edge and around 10 per cent of the electorate still undecided – generating a huge swing.

The final result was 17,410,742 votes for Leave (51.9 per cent) compared to 16,141,241 for Remain (48.1 per cent), on a turnout of 72 per cent.

The close result has generated calls for a second referendum, as well as growing fury from pro-EU voters at the regret from some Brexiter.

Paul, a gamer, tweeted: ”So leave voters have realised what they done and regret voting leave and would vote remain given another chance? Bit late now.“

“Really NOT enjoying people saying they voted Leave and now regret it, just shush please, not helping,” another added.

The result has sparked plans for a second independence referendum in Scotland, where all electoral districts voted Remain, and a petition for London to declare independence from the rest of the UK and apply to join the EU.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-anger-bregret-leave-voters-protest-vote-thought-uk-stay-in-eu-remain-win-a7102516.html

How bloody dumb can people be.   As an aside, the call for another referendum now has over a million signatures

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Brexit: Anger over 'Bregret' as Leave voters say they wanted 'protest vote' and thought UK would stay in EU

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:02 pm

From interviews on ITV News and radio station phone ins.  You never read anything do you.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brexit: Anger over 'Bregret' as Leave voters say they wanted 'protest vote' and thought UK would stay in EU

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Yawn

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:14 pm

You didn't note the part then where they were so angry BECAUSE OF THE LIES TOLD BY THE OUT CAMPAIGN.   You're priceless - literally..

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:30 pm

The number who have similar feelings may have been decisive or maybe not. But my feeling for those people is absolute disgust. Eithet for careless/reckless voting or naivity. There is a reason we have politicians, however corrupt they may be at times. Some people cannot be trusted to make decisions.

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Eilzel wrote:The number who have similar feelings may have been decisive or maybe not. But my feeling for those people is absolute disgust. Eithet for careless/reckless voting or naivity. There is a reason we have politicians, however corrupt they may be at times. Some people cannot be trusted to make decisions.

Absolutely agree!

Oh, and on Channel 4 News: Teresa Villiers confirms Tories will change Human Rights Act- and so it begins. Leave promised no change to rights and protections

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:32 pm

What a load of old bollocks!!!

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:33 pm

You have lots of old bollocks tommy?   I'm not in the least bit surprised.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:37 pm

sassy wrote:
Eilzel wrote:The number who have similar feelings may have been decisive or maybe not. But my feeling for those people is absolute disgust. Eithet for careless/reckless voting or naivity. There is a reason we have politicians, however corrupt they may be at times. Some people cannot be trusted to make decisions.

Absolutely agree!

Oh, and on Channel 4 News: Teresa Villiers confirms Tories will change Human Rights Act- and so it begins. Leave promised no change to rights and protections

Oh, as an extra, Boris is now crapping his pants and saying 'we can't turn our backs on Europe'   FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Lies and spin is all you lot have sassy... it ain't working and more!!!

lol!

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:47 pm

That's you trouble isn't it, that's all the truth and you don't know it.   Sad man

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Bullshit!!!

Fuck you!!!

The wheels are falling off your gravy train sassquatch!!!

Power to the people!!!

Power to democracy!!!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 pm

Actually Tommy, the wheels of this country are falling off, because of the lies peddled by the Leave side.

The money for the NHS - a lie
Not going to effect workers rights - a lie
Not going to effect the financial institutions and London's dominance in them - a lie
Boris backpeddling like mad and saying we need to consider the EU

All they spoke was a lie, and the day after the referendum they admitted it.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Taking control over the money... the truth!

British workers will be better off!

Our financial services sector will be safe from eu meddling!

The so called 'financial turmoil' is because the markets thought we were going to vote remain because of the kart polls Thursday night predicted a large remain vote win!!!

You just talk more and more lies and spin trying to create fear and doom and gloom!!!

Running this country down!!!

Piss off sassquatch!!!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Double posted... deleted.

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 pm

You really do live in cloud cuckoo land.

And you Tommy are so full of piss and wind, you could turn pissing off into an art form.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:15 pm

When are you leaving Britain Sass? you are ashamed to be British are you not?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:21 pm

It would be awesome to be one of those people who, faced with hundreds of headlines reading "Things are bad," just goes, "nah, they’re all wrong, I know better than they do." Smile

- Cody Canada & the Departed
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:23 pm

nicko wrote:When are you leaving Britain Sass?     you are ashamed to be British are you not?

I have a very old sick father to look after, if I didn't I'd be out of here toute suite, I have no wish to be associated with a country dominated by racism, OH is a Scot, that is where we would go.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:It would be awesome to be one of those people who, faced with hundreds of headlines reading "Things are bad," just goes, "nah, they’re all wrong, I know better than they do." Smile

You mean the ones with their heads in a bucket of sand lol

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:03 pm

sassy wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:It would be awesome to be one of those people who, faced with hundreds of headlines reading "Things are bad," just goes, "nah, they’re all wrong, I know better than they do." Smile

You mean the ones with their heads in a bucket of sand lol

Indeed, and you just reminded me of the images I wanted to post with that (I was on my tablet at the time):

- Cody Canada & the Departed
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:28 pm

Yea, remember this:   A big fat lie

And funnily enough, now they are saying they probably won't be able to stop a lot of EU immigration either (it's in the Daily Telegraph)

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:31 pm

It's better to be a person who doesn't believe every single scaremongering article they read and panic like a headless chicken. affraid

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:40 pm

YOu don't fcuking live here, what difference doe's it make to you?

Come back to Britain and fight your corner.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:46 pm

sassy wrote:Yea, remember this:   A big fat lie

And funnily enough, now they are saying they probably won't be able to stop a lot of EU immigration either (it's in the Daily Telegraph)

Lots of heavy pixelated bits round the words again stassi...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Obviously fake.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Either the media speaks the truth or it lies?
Which is it?

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Either the media speaks the truth or it lies?
Which is it?

You seem to be claiming it can only be one or the other Eddie, when the media can and do admit they get some things wrong at time, from misleading sources. That would not be lyiing. There is cases when they do blatantly llie, where it will be doften firectgly the journalist themselves, where then the paper later corrects inaccurate information published and the main media sources in the main are relatiovely accurate. So it will depend on each individual story and each individual jounalist that wrote them, how mancy complainst were received by each paper and how many corrected. To then form how accurate each paper is.

You're missing my point

When we have complained about the uk and how things are in the past - we've been told the papers are lying and exaggerating
Now those same papers are used by the same people to prove the sky is falling down because we voted out Wink

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:21 pm

sassy wrote:Some said they had not forseen the immediate economic impact, while others were angry at Nigel Faraga's admisison that NHS funding claim was a 'mistake'

Remain voters are voicing their outrage amid claims by some people who voted for a Brexit that they regret their decision.
Electoral services workers have reported calls from people asking if they could change their decision after Friday’s result became clear, while some publicly admitted they intended to use a “protest vote” in the belief the UK would remain the European Union.

The anxiety – dubbed “Bregret” – emerged as the value of the pound tumbled and the markets crashed, while others felt betrayed by Nigel Farage’s admission that a Vote Leave poster pledging to spend millions of pounds supposedly given to the EU on the NHS was a “mistake”.

Mandy Suthi, a student who voted to leave, told ITV News she would tick the Remain box if she had a second chance and said her parents and siblings also regretted their choice.

“I would go back to the polling station and vote to stay, simply because this morning the reality is kicking in,” she said.
“I wish we had the opportunity to vote again,” she added, saying she was “very disappointed”.

Khembe Gibbons, a lifeguard from Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, also said she had regrets about her decision after Mr Farage said he could not guarantee NHS funding.

"We've left the EU, David Cameron's resigned, we're left with Boris, and Nigel has just basically given away that the NHS claim was a lie,” she wrote.
"I personally voted leave believing these lies, and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote."

A woman calling into an LBC radio show echoed the sentiment, saying she felt “conned” by the claim and felt “a bit sick”.
A voter who gave his name as Adam told the BBC he would have changed his pro-Brexit vote if he knew the short-term consequences it would have for the UK economy.
“The David Cameron resignation has blown me away to be honest and the period of uncertainty that we’re going to be magnified now so yeah, I’m quite worried,” he said.
”I'm shocked that we voted for Leave, I didn't think that was going to happen. I didn't think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain.“
A blogger from Sheffield shared a message from a friend working in electoral services, claiming regretful Brexit voters and pro-Remain members of the electorate who failed to turn out because they were confident of the win had been calling in.
“We had people phone up today wanting to change their vote or ask if they could still vote as they don’t want to leave,” the message read.

A friend (who works in electoral services) writes... pic.twitter.com/KQwkUBFNO6
— Anandamide (@anandamide) June 24, 2016

Several pro-EU politicians voiced their suspicions that some Leave voters would have regrets on Friday, with Labour MP Diane Abbott and Green MP Caroline Lucas said Euroscepticism had become a “kind of proxy” for deep-seated problems with immigration, the NHS and other key issues.

Tony Blair, the former Prime Minister, said the Remain campaign had failed to show people the referendum  “was not a protest vote against the Government or indeed the Establishment”.

Opinion polls in the months leading up to Thursday’s historic vote had dominantly shown a lead for Remain, although surveys in recent days showed the result on a knife-edge and around 10 per cent of the electorate still undecided – generating a huge swing.

The final result was 17,410,742 votes for Leave (51.9 per cent) compared to 16,141,241 for Remain (48.1 per cent), on a turnout of 72 per cent.

The close result has generated calls for a second referendum, as well as growing fury from pro-EU voters at the regret from some Brexiter.

Paul, a gamer, tweeted: ”So leave voters have realised what they done and regret voting leave and would vote remain given another chance? Bit late now.“

“Really NOT enjoying people saying they voted Leave and now regret it, just shush please, not helping,” another added.

The result has sparked plans for a second independence referendum in Scotland, where all electoral districts voted Remain, and a petition for London to declare independence from the rest of the UK and apply to join the EU.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-anger-bregret-leave-voters-protest-vote-thought-uk-stay-in-eu-remain-win-a7102516.html

How bloody dumb can people be.   As an aside, the call for another referendum now has over a million signatures
yes its so tragic that the ftse has crashed to a position slightly higher than last friday

we only have their word that they voted leave. OF course no one has ever lied to get on tv before

I know a place where your speech is free
and the only mod is me
Israel uses weapons to protect its people, the Palestinians use people to protect their weapons
#tories4Corbyn
The Devil, You Know

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:22 pm

sassy wrote:You didn't note the part then where they were so angry BECAUSE OF THE LIES TOLD BY THE OUT CAMPAIGN.   You're priceless - literally..
arent they cancelled out by the lies from the remain camp?

I know a place where your speech is free
and the only mod is me
Israel uses weapons to protect its people, the Palestinians use people to protect their weapons
#tories4Corbyn
The Devil, You Know

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

Now that's one photo I really hope WAS photoshopped. Razz

Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:25 am

Lies tokd by the remain campaign are speculation at this point. There certainly could have been no bigger lies than '350 million to the NHS' and the massive cutting of immigration. Both massive, perhaps the biggest' draws of the lying Leave campaign- both reneged on IMMEDIATELY. Disgraceful.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:51 am

Do you think leaving the EU is a small issue?
I don't. And I have every right to a) be bitter and b) express that opinion.

Goodness knows we'd have never heard the end of it had it gone the other way.

I am optimistic though, renegotiating our way into the single market will probably require continuing free movement. So there is a light Smile

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:57 am

Eilzel wrote:Do you think leaving the EU is a small issue?

I am optimistic though, renegotiating our way into the single market will probably require continuing free movement. So there is a light Smile  

But it's only a simple trade arrangement... isn't it!?

At least that's what the pro eu lot have been telling us for years and years!!!

So why is it a big deal...?

And why such big deal to you especially...?

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 am

and free movement matters to you ....why?

what diffence did free movement within the EU make to you moving to thailand?

explain to me this...aside from possibly a visa....what exceptional difficulties did you experience moving to, living in and working in Thailand?

you know Eil..its funny....many many folks quite happily moved around europe BEFORE the eu....even before the common market

Ok...you couldnt suddenly just grab your coat and driving licence for id...jump on plane and go vist aunty flo in paris ...you actually needed.....wait for it...a passport...shock horror.....but...otherwise...whats different?

folks went to work abroad...quite happily....the SENSIBLE difference was...you had to actually HAVE a job to go to....not just turn up "hopeing" for a job and expect to be kept in the meantime by your estwhile host......

see what you forget is that SOME of us oldies can actually remember europe pre E.U....

and whilst some of it was in turmoil...the whole world was to an extent still in turmoil the bad things of then are simply irelevant to today....give me ONE even tiny reason why our not being in the eu ...or indeed the eu "dismembering" (in a reasonable manner of course) should trigger armageddon??? Its rubbish....

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:18 am

Nothing to do with me moving to Thailand, vic. But having difficulties created in travelling to and from and having the possibility of easily going to live and work in Europe are the tip of the iceberg. And pleasant addition to going to Europe without the need of visas. It is now a possibility we will need visas. But if not that will come at the cost of the same applying to EU citizens coming to the UK.

And none of that negates the other reasons for wanting to stay. Ultimately I believe little will change in the end. Cameron was clever in standing down. He knows renegotiations with the EU will probably lead to continuing to pay some money in, like Norway, open borders and complying with a lot of EU rules. We just won't get a say. Stepping down he is a man who fought for what he believed in and lost. If he stayed he would become the man who lost then screwed over 17 million voters. Now its in Boris's court to not upset his followers.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:38 am

I appreciate that didge, but what I mention is what Norway and Switzerland have. Plus, the will of the people was not hugely one way. 52/48 is almost even. Half the people would not be sad if things didn't change much. And that number may be different considering the anger from some leavers over the lies they've been told.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:44 am

Eilzel wrote:Do you think leaving the EU is a small issue?

But it's only a simple trade arrangement... isn't it!?

At least that's what the pro eu lot have been telling us for years and years!!!

So why is it a big deal...?

And why such big deal to you especially...?

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:25 am

Do people think Germany will stop wanting to sell us Merc's, Audi's and BMW'S?

Just a thought I had.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top