Post-Brexit, Britons bone up on what the EU is and what Brexit means

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post-Brexit, Britons bone up on what the EU is and what Brexit means

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:20 pm

By a 52-48 percent margin, the popular vote in the United Kingdom last night moved to detach the country from the European Union.

It's been a momentous event, building up for months with anticipation and anxiety domestically and abroad, marked by bitter campaigning, sharp regional disagreements and the murder of an anti-"Brexit" member of Parliament, Jo Cox.

Supporters of leaving the EU celebrate at a party hosted by Leave.EU in central London as they watch results come in from around the country after Thursday's EU referendum.

But if you judge a country's interests only by prevalent Google searches, it was after the polls closed when British voters started to think seriously about the implications of their choice.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Post-Brexit, Britons bone up on what the EU is and what Brexit means

Post by sassy on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
By a 52-48 percent margin, the popular vote in the United Kingdom last night moved to detach the country from the European Union.

It's been a momentous event, building up for months with anticipation and anxiety domestically and abroad, marked by bitter campaigning, sharp regional disagreements and the murder of an anti-"Brexit" member of Parliament, Jo Cox.

Supporters of leaving the EU celebrate at a party hosted by Leave.EU in central London as they watch results come in from around the country after Thursday's EU referendum.

But if you judge a country's interests only by prevalent Google searches, it was after the polls closed when British voters started to think seriously about the implications of their choice.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote

There have been a lot of people on Radio 5 phone ins today who have quite literally said 'I voted leave but I didn't think it would happen, now what are we going to do!   Fuck me, shit for brains doesn't begin to cover it.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Hilarious Ben. I like that we can all laugh at us.
If this was Africa and we were black people - I'll bet none of you would dream of ridiculing, piss-taking or being so fucking negative.
Britain is a joke isn't it?

Enjoy yourselves.
I'm off to just live my life in the present and be happy that something has shifted and I'll welcome the change whatever happens and I'll be ok thanks.

I'll live with my present.

That's my gift to you.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Just goes to demonstrate the level of intelligence of many voters Ben. Kind of a sad argument against referendums overall.

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:24 pm

We will now face a whitewash of media bullshit about how stupid/racist/xenaphobic everyone who voted out is...

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:28 pm

It must be sad having the truth thrown in your face tommy, at least in your case.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 pm

You know what, I apologise for that tommy. I'm just angry, really angry. But I shouldn't get insulting.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:36 pm

The media waffle and then the call for a second referendum to get 'the right answer'...

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:40 pm

Well since two major lies have already been confessed to, on the NHS and immigration, a second referendum wouldn't be uncalled for.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm

And it begins...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:44 pm

You think winning on two major falsehoods is ok? I bet millions of those who voted leave did so based on 'we could spend £350 million on the NHS!' and promises to slash immigration. Certainly enough to swing the vote. And hours after results are in we hear those promises were inaccurate. Blatant, unashamed liars.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 pm

It's about regaining control over the money and our immigration...

Then the British people can decide through democratic powers over these things through our elected representatives in our national parliament!!!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 pm

For many those two issues were decisive. Therefore the vote was won on a huge lie. That makes a mockery of democracy.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 pm

Bullshit!!!

Go get some more tissues to dry your eyes...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Of course you aren't going to accept it, you were feeding those lies. You are part of the problem.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:It's about regaining control over the money and our immigration...

Then the British people can decide through democratic powers over these things through our elected representatives in our national parliament!!!

See above!

The lies were all from the Remainians!!!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:24 pm

So can you show me where it is claimed the £350 million WILL be spent on the NHS? I want to believe in a positive future for my country, tommy, give me reason to believe people weren't lied to.

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 pm

You are making the claim... you show us!!!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 pm

Eilzel wrote:You think winning on two major falsehoods is ok? I bet millions of those who voted leave did so based on 'we could spend £350 million on the NHS!' and promises to slash immigration. Certainly enough to swing the vote. And hours after results are in we hear those promises were inaccurate. Blatant, unashamed liars.
IRONIC - AMUSING - and obviously what more then just a few of those obsessed with wanting 'OUT' of the EU around here couldn't see ...how easily they were being manipulated and led like sheeple! 

Yet, and 'YET' ...these same few around here spent days upon DAYS picking over images: 'isn't that pixel definitive of a faked image - hasn't that image been photo-chopped - that elbow can't be real, look how it's dimpled/bent and not like mine' ...
Or even better was the unfortunate dude that had his Jeep kick out of park and smash his head & chest against his brick gate post & metal gate - Tommykins delved into that like there was so much value in a conspiracy theory that would garner him actual mega-bucks if he could just prove that!
'The camera tripod was standing a false angle, the gate was photo graphed wrong - that he had a video clip of some dude rolling out of a CAR' - all in an effort to prove his ability to nit-pick the falsehood out of a story line and get to the TRUTH HIDDEN BENEATH! 
And Tommykins ...doesn't bat an eye at the utter BS that he was spoon-fed by the lying people he so placed his valued votes upon for getting 'OUT' of the EU; and now he's going to ASSume that they will honor what other words they stated to obtain those votes!

Sadly, our Tommykins is just a splinter of the huge number of sheeple that were led to the slaughter for that vote and will be asking themselves for years afterwards - WTF was I thinking!   
Too bad that the ability to 'VOTE' isn't treated in the same weighted regard as a possible conspiracy theory photo - HUH?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Conflating issues a little bit aren't you...?

And I think you'll find that sassy's photoshop fake pictures and story were the things being used to manipulate the electorate...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Eilzel wrote:Just goes to demonstrate the level of intelligence of many voters Ben. Kind of a sad argument against referendums overall.

skynet is sounding more appealing isn't it

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:10 pm

Eilzel wrote:Well since two major lies have already been confessed to, on the NHS and immigration, a second referendum wouldn't be uncalled for.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Conflating conflicting issues a little bit aren't you...?

And I think you'll find that sassy's photoshop fake pictures and story were the things being used to manipulate the electorate...
No, I was trying to get you to see how you will 'NIT-PICK' a utterly stupid photo that will mean absolutely nothing to you in the grand scheme of your life to the 9th degree and yet ...you'll be led around by your nose by the very cretin politicians that do such things because you are so gullible ...

ERGO, you'll believe those lies and go F'n Nuts about a What-If in a photo that has nothing to do with you personally!   

But that's OKay - DOKay ...it's your bubble world Tommykins ...I'm just watching you struggle with the confusion of the real world from way over here in America! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:43 am

Waffle...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top