What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:27 pm

Sunday began with one of the deadliest shootings in American history — at least 49 people were killed and more than 50 were injured. The attack took place at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, and the suspect was an American Muslim who pledged allegiance to ISIS the night of the attack.

The shooting is an immense tragedy for all Americans, but not all Americans will be equally affected in the days and weeks moving forward. Queer Muslims in particular are caught in the crossfire, mourning the tragedy even as they fear an anti-Muslim backlash in the wake of the attack. (According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, as of 2014, rates of hate crimes in the U.S. had declined against every group except Muslims.)

Samra Habib, who curates Just Me and Allah, a queer Muslim photo project, wrote about the incident in a piece for The Guardian titled "Queer Muslims exist — and we are in mourning too." She wants people to know that "being a peace-loving Muslim who is just as angered by homophobic attacks as everyone else isn't out of the ordinary." Here's more from Habib's piece:

"We are now used to the fact that, every time a criminally misguided Muslim commits an act of violence, the entire religion and all its followers are questioned and placed under suspicion in a way that isn't replicated with other faiths. We – and this of course includes queer Muslims – have to take extra care walking down the street at night and entering our mosques for fear of Islamophobic attacks. Muslim organizations and activist groups are tasked with the responsibility of releasing public statements, apologizing for the actions of terrorists and reminding the world that Islam promotes peace so innocent Muslims who are just trying to go about their daily lives don't suffer repercussions.

...Our thoughts must for now be with those in Orlando. But over the next few days, as we try to recover from this atrocity and begin to piece together what it all means, it's important to remember that Islam is exploited by religious extremists all over the world, often in attacks committed against other Muslims...this can't be boiled down to us v them. We're all experiencing the same tragedy together."

But some suggested that this tragedy will indeed be experienced differently by different groups. In a stream of tweets, one user expressed just how hard it is to be both queer and Muslim right now:

نورالعين شاحد @YxxngHippie
Life as a Queer Muslim is hard right now-

The Muslim community throws us under the bus &
The LGBT+ community throws us under the bus.
2:59 PM - 12 Jun 2016
966 966 Retweets 1,168 1,168 likes

Twitter user @YxxngHippie continues, "For the former, we are branded as 'kaffirs' (non-Muslims), and 'deviants,' and the latter tells us we are not queer enough. The former is rampant with anti-queer/trans rhetoric, and the other is rampant with racism & islamophobia (just look at grindr profiles). We're shunned from both sides and many of us are so torn right now. Where do our allegiances lie? Which community do we defend?"

Shawn Ahmed, who runs The Uncultured Project, an anti-poverty organization: "If all the Muslims in my mentions right now condemning me for being a gay Muslim could condemn the Muslim shooter instead, that'd be great."

The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (NQAPIA): "For those of us who are LGBTQ and Muslim, we wait to see which of our identities we will be more fearful of disclosing in a world that questions our existence and intentions daily. We have found no contradiction in being both queer and Muslim, and reject the popular narrative that Islam or the Muslim community as a whole is homophobic and transphobic. We are proud to be both queer and Muslim, and cherish both of our communities."

Islamic studies professor Amanullah De Sondy: "The challenge for Muslim communities around the globe today is to find and appreciate differences and pluralism and to support the lives of believers who do not fit societal norms. It is imperative if we want to support those on the margins who are hurt and damaged.

"We need to think carefully about what goes through the mind of that closeted Muslim man listening to the statements today, who may well end up married to someone of the opposite sex because he fears losing his position in his Muslim community. We need to think carefully about what these statements do to empower heterosexual Muslim individuals, who then stand to represent not just Islam but the "ideal" gender and sexuality."

LGBT pride within Muslim communities is also evident. On Twitter, many have circulated pictures of queer Muslims celebrating Pride month. And the Muslim Alliance for Sexual and Gender Diversity (MASGD) noted this year's convergence of Pride month and Ramadan as a particularly special time of peace, community, and self-reflection.

The Islamic Monthly's Hina Tai: "Blame is on those who say homophobia is solely a Muslim problem, in order to further the cause of Islamophobia rather than recognize America's historic oppression of LGBTQ people...Blame is on our political leaders who continue to think gun control is up for debate while Obama gives his 18th presidential address in response to a mass shooting...Blame is on us who shamed LGBTQ Muslims and made them unwelcome in their own mosques and communities rather than promoting inclusivity....Blame is also on us who while condemning the violence purposefully erased the identities of LGBTQ from their statements...Blame is on those who will use this opportunity for political capital...Blame is on us who do not recognize that this shooting comes at an intersection of many different issues: homophobia, Islamophobia, (political-religious) extremism and gun violence — all issues that transcend religious and political lines."

(This is a "dance-mix" edit -- see more at the link)

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/06/13/481853353/what-queer-Muslims-are-saying-about-the-orlando-shooting

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Listening to NPR last night and again early this morning ...those local Muslim young people calling in about their 'hidden life style' and the fear that they have - even in this day & age in America; between the hate for their faith/skin color and their sexual orientation they get verbally abused from many social groups.

Fear and intolerance: fear from people too ignorant to understand that not every Muslim follows the directive of the Koran {old Mohammad original writings}...just like our bible thumpers don't follow the directive of the 'Old Testament' and many cherry pick the verses/church doctrines that better suits their modified belief system.  

Hate - Intolerance and toss the sexual preference into it and that just magnifies their repulsion and desire to eradicate that unfit human from within their air space!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Miffs2 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm

I bet you anything you like not one of those gay Muslims will go to their local Mosque and say any of that.
Miffs2
Miffs2

Posts : 2089
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 52

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:12 pm

There's a gay imam who's been speaking on national media the last few days.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:There's a gay imam who's been speaking on national media the last few days.
We've had this discussion before; what garners the public attention - what sells in the front pages for the editors to hand pick and as with some members around here - what seems to attract the most attention!

Sure isn't the positive - out spoken Islamic or Muslims trying to 'Do The Right Thing' ... Rolling Eyes

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 pm

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Daayiee_abdullah

"I think people see that I'm doing what the Koran encourages, which is to help people who need guidance, and this is something that most have not been doing. I think on the last day, Allah's going to ask them, "Why didn't you do what you knew was right to do?" They're going to be challenged to understand that just because they have a particular belief [that homosexuality is wrong] doesn't mean that they are the only interpreters of the Koran."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/first-openly-gay-imam-orlando-massacre

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Oh, hell ...yes, he was on my live stream NPR broadcast that I had on my tablet yesterday! 

Very informative and his voice --- he could do books and I'd buy them ...I liked the sound of his voice!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:44 pm

eddie wrote:Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.
What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2787774761     what cha ya gonna do  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2387050134  those Asian's used it in their group logo name too No

Queer Muslims in particular are caught in the crossfire, mourning the tragedy even as they fear an anti-Muslim backlash in the wake of the attack. (According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, as of 2014, rates of hate crimes in the U.S. had declined against every group except Muslims.)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:51 pm

I wasn't planning on doing much really. Were you?

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Well, I read the entire article and managed to move right along without getting STUCK by a word that was very much part of the story line What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2086560741

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:28 pm

4EVER2 wrote:Well, I read the entire article and managed to move right along without getting STUCK by a word that was very much part of the story line What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2086560741

Well done. You are almost cleverer than most of us now.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:39 pm

eddie wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:Well, I read the entire article and managed to move right along without getting STUCK by a word that was very much part of the story line What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2086560741

Well done. You are almost cleverer than most of us now.
And you seem to be dragging a heavy pack of snarky grudge attitude around with you ...for someone that's claimed, "I never do such a thing" ...your coy facade has slipped and your true nature is showing What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 202592697

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:39 pm

eddie wrote:Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.

They use it themselves! LGBTQ?

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.

They use it themselves! LGBTQ?

I know. That was my point Ben. I don't need to write big long articles, I made a claim and found it odd that they would use that word considering gays don't like it.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:44 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
eddie wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:Well, I read the entire article and managed to move right along without getting STUCK by a word that was very much part of the story line What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2086560741

Well done. You are almost cleverer than most of us now.
And you seem to be dragging a heavy pack of snarky grudge attitude around with you ...for someone that's claimed, "I never do such a thing" ...your coy facade has slipped and your true nature is showing What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 202592697

It's not a facade. I'm not feeling inclined to let you get away with anything at the moment. So I'm not?

I may feel differently tomorrow. I follow my heart. You may be lucky, clucky . Wink

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 pm

Odd ...From my prospective; I've been butting heads with your GRUDGE ATTITUDE since that joke about my avatar went so horribly wrong and then you shared my PM with your GROUP!

But what do I know about you ...just how you act not what you CLAIM What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2385359624

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:54 pm

That's very true and only time can ever tell 4ever.
About anything in life.

You will see that I irritate posters on occasion, but I'm not really hated or disliked much on here, or anywhere tbf.
Now they can't ALL be stupid or blind can they?
And as you know and have stated a few times, I'm not that clever.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:18 am

eddie wrote:That's very true and only time can ever tell 4ever.
About anything in life.

You will see that I irritate posters on occasion, but I'm not really hated or disliked much on here, or anywhere tbf.
Now they can't ALL be stupid or blind can they?
And as you know and have stated a few times, I'm not that clever.
What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2190311264  Was that some 'popularity poll' that you'd started around here somewhere? Because that's really nothing that has ever been a concern or a worry.
  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2387050134 I finished with all that back in grammar school - didn't you? Shocked

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:13 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.

They use it themselves! LGBTQ?

I know. That was my point Ben. I don't need to write big long articles, I made a claim and found it odd that they would use that word considering gays don't like it.

Let me clarify -- "queer" is used by the LGBTQ community and the media in reporting on them, it's not taken as an offensive term here unless used in an obviously hateful way.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:37 am

4EVER2 wrote:
eddie wrote:That's very true and only time can ever tell 4ever.
About anything in life.

You will see that I irritate posters on occasion, but I'm not really hated or disliked much on here, or anywhere tbf.
Now they can't ALL be stupid or blind can they?
And as you know and have stated a few times, I'm not that clever.
What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2190311264  Was that some 'popularity poll' that you'd started around here somewhere? Because that's really nothing that has ever been a concern or a worry.
  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2387050134 I finished with all that back in grammar school - didn't you? Shocked

Then stop going on and on about all my "faults and things I do wrong" on a daily basis.
For the record? You didn't leave it behind in grammar school at all.

Have a nice day 4ever.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:38 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.

They use it themselves! LGBTQ?

I know. That was my point Ben. I don't need to write big long articles, I made a claim and found it odd that they would use that word considering gays don't like it.

Let me clarify -- "queer" is used by the LGBTQ community and the media in reporting on them, it's not taken as an offensive term here unless used in an obviously hateful way.

It is over here. Most gays don't like it.
It wasn't a dig at you or anyone, it was an observation.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:40 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Not very politically correct. The word "queer" isn't a favourable phrase.

They use it themselves! LGBTQ?

I know. That was my point Ben. I don't need to write big long articles, I made a claim and found it odd that they would use that word considering gays don't like it.

Let me clarify -- "queer" is used by the LGBTQ community and the media in reporting on them, it's not taken as an offensive term here unless used in an obviously hateful way.

It is over here.  Most gays don't like it.
It wasn't a dig at you or anyone, it was an observation.

I actually figured that, you Brits do tend to act as though the world begins at the Channel and ends at the Irish Sea Razz Razz Razz

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 am

They do yes. I belong somewhere far far away....

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:44 am

eddie wrote:They do yes. I belong somewhere far far away....

Well, we'll have y'all in Texas, we welcome ever'body Smile Seriously, I've lived with, learned from and loved people from every part of the world here -- Vietnam, England, Scotland, Australia, Iraq, Ethiopia, Germany, Sweden, Laos, the Ukraine ... that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. You'll never find another place in the world where you can celebrate the accomplishments of Scots-Irish immigrants while eating pastries we got from the Czechs for breakfast and looking forward to a dinner we came up with from combining the culinary talents of Mexicans, Germans and freed black slaves (barbecue as it's done nowhere else).

Texas is a magical place. I once interviewed a woman who was absolutely delighted that when her church group went to Namibia to build housing for the poor, they also taught the people there to say "boy howdy." As in, "Boy howdy, that's a zebra over there!"

It's a combination of love, wit, toughness, humor and tolerance you really don't get many other places ... though I feel in my bones that Australians are a lot like us What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442 G'Day

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:55 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:They do yes. I belong somewhere far far away....

Well, we'll have y'all in Texas, we welcome ever'body Smile Seriously, I've lived with, learned from and loved people from every part of the world here -- Vietnam, England, Scotland, Australia, Iraq, Ethiopia, Germany, Sweden, Laos, the Ukraine ... that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. You'll never find another place in the world where you can celebrate the accomplishments of Scots-Irish immigrants while eating pastries we got from the Czechs for breakfast and looking forward to a dinner we came up with from combining the culinary talents of Mexicans, Germans and freed black slaves (barbecue as it's done nowhere else).

Texas is a magical place. I once interviewed a woman who was absolutely delighted that when her church group went to Namibia to build housing for the poor, they also taught the people there to say "boy howdy." As in, "Boy howdy, that's a zebra over there!"

It's a combination of love, wit, toughness, humor and tolerance you really don't get many other places ... though I feel in my bones that Australians are a lot like us What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442 G'Day

Well we are a lot like Texans.... What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442
crossed with Californians  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1530246098
i think since we have less guns and less churches and more beach culture. In truth it varies where in Australia, inland more like Texas, the coast more like California but the further from the cities the more Texan like.

the combination you said, I think it comes from living in a 'tougher' land. When you can get killed by snakes or spiders, plus die of thirst if you get lost, it puts things into perspective.


in fact we are enough like texans where we have decided as a nation to steal your style of barbecue.. pirat  pirat  pirat
it has become really popular down here, ten years ago it was rare now every 3rd pub probably has some on the menu and there are several that specialize in it and have 'big smokers' on premises (what we call your barbecue, what we call BBQ you call a grill... and aussies pretty much never write ours as Barbecue Razz )

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:15 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Well, we'll have y'all in Texas, we welcome ever'body Smile Seriously, I've lived with, learned from and loved people from every part of the world here -- Vietnam, England, Scotland, Australia, Iraq, Ethiopia, Germany, Sweden, Laos, the Ukraine ... that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. You'll never find another place in the world where you can celebrate the accomplishments of Scots-Irish immigrants while eating pastries we got from the Czechs for breakfast and looking forward to a dinner we came up with from combining the culinary talents of Mexicans, Germans and freed black slaves (barbecue as it's done nowhere else).

Texas is a magical place. I once interviewed a woman who was absolutely delighted that when her church group went to Namibia to build housing for the poor, they also taught the people there to say "boy howdy." As in, "Boy howdy, that's a zebra over there!"

It's a combination of love, wit, toughness, humor and tolerance you really don't get many other places ... though I feel in my bones that Australians are a lot like us What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442 G'Day

Well we are a lot like Texans.... What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442
crossed with Californians  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1530246098
i think since we have less guns and less churches and more beach culture. In truth it varies where in Australia, inland more like Texas, the coast more like California but the further from the cities the more Texan like.

............................
......................
Razz

AND...

take a drive North from the NSW border,  up along the Gold Coast to Surfers'..

And it's like they transplanted 20 miles of Florida onto Queensland.
Even naming one of their beachside suburbs 'Miami'..         sunny

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 7146
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 61
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:42 am

Havent I always said....there's a little bit of magic everywhere you look?

I would love to travel to Texas and Oz and for some inexplicable reason I really want to go to Iceland and live there for the six months of darkness - that appeals to the really dark and secret part of my nature.
Something happens in the dark.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Victorismyhero on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:59 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:They do yes. I belong somewhere far far away....

Well, we'll have y'all in Texas, we welcome ever'body Smile Seriously, I've lived with, learned from and loved people from every part of the world here -- Vietnam, England, Scotland, Australia, Iraq, Ethiopia, Germany, Sweden, Laos, the Ukraine ... that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. You'll never find another place in the world where you can celebrate the accomplishments of Scots-Irish immigrants while eating pastries we got from the Czechs for breakfast and looking forward to a dinner we came up with from combining the culinary talents of Mexicans, Germans and freed black slaves (barbecue as it's done nowhere else).

Texas is a magical place. I once interviewed a woman who was absolutely delighted that when her church group went to Namibia to build housing for the poor, they also taught the people there to say "boy howdy." As in, "Boy howdy, that's a zebra over there!"

It's a combination of love, wit, toughness, humor and tolerance you really don't get many other places ... though I feel in my bones that Australians are a lot like us What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442 G'Day

Well we are a lot like Texans.... What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442
crossed with Californians  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1530246098
i think since we have less guns and less churches and more beach culture. In truth it varies where in Australia, inland more like Texas, the coast more like California but the further from the cities the more Texan like.

the combination you said, I think it comes from living in a 'tougher' land. When you can get killed by snakes or spiders, plus die of thirst if you get lost, it puts things into perspective.


in fact we are enough like texans where we have decided as a nation to steal your style of barbecue.. pirat  pirat  pirat
it has become really popular down here, ten years ago it was rare now every 3rd pub probably has some on the menu and there are several that specialize in it and have 'big smokers' on premises (what we call your barbecue, what we call BBQ you call a grill... and aussies pretty much never write ours as Barbecue Razz )


that would explain a lot..... Rolling Eyes

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10419
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:19 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Let me clarify -- "queer" is used by the LGBTQ community and the media in reporting on them, it's not taken as an offensive term here unless used in an obviously hateful way.

It is over here.  Most gays don't like it.
It wasn't a dig at you or anyone, it was an observation.

I'll agree with that - "queer" is considered a rather derogatory term when applied to gay people in the UK.

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33163
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:21 pm

eddie wrote:Havent I always said....there's a little bit of magic everywhere you look?

I would love to travel to Texas and Oz and for some inexplicable reason I really want to go to Iceland and live there for the six months of darkness - that appeals to the really dark and secret part of my nature.
Something happens in the dark.

Yes - usually seasonal affective disorder. Laughing

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33163
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
It is over here.  Most gays don't like it.
It wasn't a dig at you or anyone, it was an observation.
I'll agree with that - "queer" is considered a rather derogatory term when applied to gay people in the UK.
That's why as in the 'ARTICLE' the Muslims that were remarking on the way that they'd been treated - the Asians on the way that they were treated - wrote about their experiences and 'YES, the word was used because that's what their social group is still experiencing!

But you would still not walk up to and during introductions ask; 'so are you a QUEER' ...one would hope that you both do comprehend the difference and if reading the entire article might provide you an definitive explanation! What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 2190311264

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:03 pm

eddie wrote:Havent I always said....there's a little bit of magic everywhere you look?

I would love to travel to Texas and Oz and for some inexplicable reason I really want to go to Iceland and live there for the six months of darkness - that appeals to the really dark and secret part of my nature.
Something happens in the dark.

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Still-of-danny-huston-in-30-days-of-night-(2007)-large-picture
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9607
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Hahahahahaha rags and Horatio, point taken.
I'm apparently a SAD vampire lol!

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Syl on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Let me clarify -- "queer" is used by the LGBTQ community and the media in reporting on them, it's not taken as an offensive term here unless used in an obviously hateful way.

It is over here.  Most gays don't like it.
It wasn't a dig at you or anyone, it was an observation.

And you are spot on...queer is an offensive term now...as is the N word IF used by a white person.
Blacks can use it....gays can use the Q word, but unless you are gay or black use alternative words.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18923
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:40 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:They do yes. I belong somewhere far far away....

Well, we'll have y'all in Texas, we welcome ever'body Smile Seriously, I've lived with, learned from and loved people from every part of the world here -- Vietnam, England, Scotland, Australia, Iraq, Ethiopia, Germany, Sweden, Laos, the Ukraine ... that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. You'll never find another place in the world where you can celebrate the accomplishments of Scots-Irish immigrants while eating pastries we got from the Czechs for breakfast and looking forward to a dinner we came up with from combining the culinary talents of Mexicans, Germans and freed black slaves (barbecue as it's done nowhere else).

Texas is a magical place. I once interviewed a woman who was absolutely delighted that when her church group went to Namibia to build housing for the poor, they also taught the people there to say "boy howdy." As in, "Boy howdy, that's a zebra over there!"

It's a combination of love, wit, toughness, humor and tolerance you really don't get many other places ... though I feel in my bones that Australians are a lot like us What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442 G'Day

Well we are a lot like Texans.... What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1366281442
crossed with Californians  What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1530246098
i think since we have less guns and less churches and more beach culture. In truth it varies where in Australia, inland more like Texas, the coast more like California but the further from the cities the more Texan like.

the combination you said, I think it comes from living in a 'tougher' land. When you can get killed by snakes or spiders, plus die of thirst if you get lost, it puts things into perspective.


in fact we are enough like texans where we have decided as a nation to steal your style of barbecue.. pirat  pirat  pirat
it has become really popular down here, ten years ago it was rare now every 3rd pub probably has some on the menu and there are several that specialize in it and have 'big smokers' on premises (what we call your barbecue, what we call BBQ you call a grill... and aussies pretty much never write ours as Barbecue Razz )

Nothing like walking into an establishment with a big smoker, that's a real treat. I'm happy y'all decided to copy us, because now we can have endless arguments over who does it better Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Should point out, we have a bit of a California and a bit of a Florida vibe in some places. We have over 350 miles of this:

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting E8490ccd937dfca45a87fc5fda3f614b

Texas actually ranks sixth among all U.S. states in length of coastline, and of course, two of the ones ahead of us are an island chain and a peninsula Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm going to sound stupid but WTF?
I never knew Texas had a coastline?

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:49 pm

eddie wrote:I'm going to sound stupid but WTF?
I never knew Texas had a coastline?

Yep! A huge chunk of the Gulf of Mexico borders up to Texas.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm going to sound stupid but WTF?
I never knew Texas had a coastline?

Yep! A huge chunk of the Gulf of Mexico borders up to Texas.

Of course it does Embarassed

Still, you never associate Texas with beaches somehow. I absolutely love the sea.

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm going to sound stupid but WTF?
I never knew Texas had a coastline?

Yep! A huge chunk of the Gulf of Mexico borders up to Texas.

Of course it does Embarassed

Still, you never associate Texas with beaches somehow. I absolutely love the sea.

It's hard to know what to associate with Texas, really, since we have it all Smile

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Wildseed-720x526

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Houston-800x450

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting The-fort-worth-herd-stockyards-sign

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Texas-Wildflowers-and-Texas-Bluebonnets-along-a-Lonely-Texas-Highway

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 92840468

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Kermlin

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 1614_1

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 541e7d78d7c432114b85597785cde5c1

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Hamilton-pool-preserve-in-austin-texas-_natural-beauty_1155

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Ht_rodeo_girl_2_lb_150227_16x9_992

And that only scratches the surface of the stuff we have here!

By the way, I love that the title of this thread would lead one to believe it was about gay Muslims reacting to the Orlando shooting Smile

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:13 pm

And it's all the Brits fault...

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 22468
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Yeah I mean what an off-topic title for the thread right?

Some nice pics there, really nice. I'm sold on that.
I like how you threw in some random beautiful people at a bar - is this your local hang-out?

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:26 pm

eddie wrote:Yeah I mean what an off-topic title for the thread right?

Some nice pics there, really nice. I'm sold on that.
I like how you threw in some random beautiful people at a bar - is this your local hang-out?

I wish Smile No, that's the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Here's a better photo:

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 127A27F4-BF19-2F5F-0BABF3B1302CD66C

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by eddie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:45 pm

That's nice. It's a little bit like our Camden Lock - one of my favourite places in London to eat, shop and people watch.

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Image16

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Image15

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Image14

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38243
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Very nice, I'd love to see that some day.

_________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony.

-Ghandi
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 26386
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting Empty Re: What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Yeah I mean what an off-topic title for the thread right?

Some nice pics there, really nice. I'm sold on that.
I like how you threw in some random beautiful people at a bar - is this your local hang-out?

I wish Smile No, that's the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Here's a better photo:

What gay Muslims are saying about the Orlando shooting 127A27F4-BF19-2F5F-0BABF3B1302CD66C


Oh my, that brought back memories, it's nicer now than it was, but got lost in San Antonio and found the Riverwalk by chance.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum