Have you ever been invited....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Have you ever been invited....

Post by Syl on Wed May 25, 2016 7:08 pm

..to a forum get together?
Did you...or would you go?
Can you imagine making friends with the people you don't see eye to eye with, or would you take the opportunity to tell them what you really think of them face to face??
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have you ever been invited....

Post by Guest on Wed May 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Syl wrote:..to a forum get together?
Can you imagine making friends with the people you don't see eye to eye with, or would you take the opportunity to tell them what you really think of them face to face??

I never have, but I know some on here that have met each other in person.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed May 25, 2016 7:20 pm

I guessed there may be.

I was invited to one a few years ago...the owner lives not that far from me and he had a regular pre New years eve party he invited some posters to.

Also an American forum (sadly now gone) several of the people on there (all American) invited me over on a few occasions, they often had meet ups and nights out.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed May 25, 2016 7:47 pm

No comment.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed May 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Yes I've met up with harvesmom (who only appears occasionally) and Les and we keep in regular contact outside of the forum.
Also chat to nems on the phone.

I consider them all long term, and very dear, friends.

I'm always up for a meet up and would shake every one of your hands.
I have no grudges or dislike for anyone at all.

In fact I'd like to see you all and say hi. I think it'd be nice and not half as aggressive in real life, as it is on here.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Syl wrote:I guessed there may be.

I was invited to one a few years ago...the owner lives not that far from me and he had a regular pre New years eve party he invited some posters to.

Also an American forum (sadly now gone) several of the people on there (all American) invited me over on a few occasions, they often had meet ups and nights out.

One of the very first Internet community groups that I became a part of: circa 2000 - was on an old system offered up by AT&T - simplified, posting - no bells & whistles, just plain texts/plain fonts/no choices and you couldn't even type the word crap/shit/piss without it be blocked out with ---- grammar police edits! 

Anyway, AT&T was going to close us all down and we relocated to a MSN sight and set up shop. But our group decreased considerably...some of us in the central states would see members as they travel through our respective area or if we went there way for business or pleasure we'd drop in to visit - that was fun.  We had this lovely expatriate living in Norway {a real cantankerous ole dude}, he'd fly over every 2 years for his family reunion in Florida and he would harangue any/all of us to make arrangements to take our vacations down at his place in the Keys. 
So one year about 15 of us decided to DO THAT and we all flew down/drove over/bused in and spent 3 days cussing and discussing our POV's face to face and LOL'ing about how we all thought we really should have looked according to our avatar name vs our real names - who traveled the farthest {besides our host} and how long we'd been together - how much we knew about our private lives & immediate families. 
We played some cards, drank some wine, ate some fine food.  It was one of the most memorable weekends I'd ever spent with people that I'd never known other then the Internet and our holiday cards we exchanged every year.
My Norway buddy was diagnosed with a brain tumor 4 months after his return to his Norway residence - he died within 6 months after that.
And then the domino affect seemed to ripple out among our members and over the next 3 years we lost another 6 members from that group of 15 that had met those 3 wonderful days.

It sucks the wind out of your sails to know that someone you've butted heads with about 'Gun Control' so adamantly - like it was going to change the universe could be such a 'elfin' ...full white/neatly trimmed beard and mustache too - looking old curmudgeon with a deep resonating voice/chuckle and demeanor --- and all marshmallow-softie inside.  Some of the 'original group' just switched over to FB and drop by for a morning hello and the annual holiday letter to just catch up with immediate family matters - like distant cousins but like people we've known for 16 years now. 
But that is one of the communities that we only just pass by on another Daily Quiz that we keep going - the community forum just dried up; seemed like the memory and the memorial page acknowledgements were growing faster then the posts about current events and fighting about the political BS was just really STUPID.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed May 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Wow. What an amazing story and what a nostalgic one.

It's odd, because you can become very intimate with someone online - and you can pick up vibes through posts (or is that just me?)
Forums are pretty intimate places as we each see each other's many moods and phases.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu May 26, 2016 7:09 am

I'd like to meet Veya, and find out why he hates us so much. Did some English man steal his girl? Did some English man upset him some way? Did some English man punch his lights out? Whatever, i'd take him out for a meal, go down the pub and buy him a drink or two and try to find out why us "Pommies" get up his wick.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu May 26, 2016 10:45 am

Raggamuffin wrote:No comment.

lol!
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 am

I'd rather put needles in my eyes! In fact, I can't think of anything more tedious. However, if, perchance, I bumped into you on Deansgate, I'd probably nod and smile. tongue
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu May 26, 2016 11:04 am

Stormee wrote:There are some people who come across very respectable on forums, those are the ones whom I could link with.

They're the ones you should wary of Stormee. lol!

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu May 26, 2016 11:15 am

Stormee wrote:I would take my Uzi Miss Ragga

And your tin hat ...

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu May 26, 2016 11:38 am

You're all wrong. You'd all probably get in with most people as most people are different in RL.

A lot of stuff said in here is said in the heat of the moment - I'm sure a half of it isn't meant.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 pm

eddie wrote:Yes I've met up with harvesmom (who only appears occasionally) and Les and we keep in regular contact outside of the forum.
Also chat to nems on the phone.

I consider them all long term, and very dear, friends.

I'm always up for a meet up and would shake every one of your hands.
I have no grudges or dislike for anyone at all.

In fact I'd like to see you all and say hi. I think it'd be nice and not half as aggressive in real life, as it is on here.

I wouldn't ever go to one but it's fun to imagine what people are really like in RL. Cool

I might have gone to a high school reunion....but I think my school only started them in later years for younger ex pupils.
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu May 26, 2016 1:28 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Syl wrote:I guessed there may be.

One of the very first Internet community groups that I became a part of: circa 2000 - was on an old system offered up by AT&T - simplified, posting - no bells & whistles, just plain texts/plain fonts/no choices and you couldn't even type the word crap/shit/piss without it be blocked out with ---- grammar police edits! 

Anyway, AT&T was going to close us all down and we relocated to a MSN sight and set up shop. But our group decreased considerably...some of us in the central states would see members as they travel through our respective area or if we went there way for business or pleasure we'd drop in to visit - that was fun.  We had this lovely expatriate living in Norway {a real cantankerous ole dude}, he'd fly over every 2 years for his family reunion in Florida and he would harangue any/all of us to make arrangements to take our vacations down at his place in the Keys. 
So one year about 15 of us decided to DO THAT and we all flew down/drove over/bused in and spent 3 days cussing and discussing our POV's face to face and LOL'ing about how we all thought we really should have looked according to our avatar name vs our real names - who traveled the farthest {besides our host} and how long we'd been together - how much we knew about our private lives & immediate families. 
We played some cards, drank some wine, ate some fine food.  It was one of the most memorable weekends I'd ever spent with people that I'd never known other then the Internet and our holiday cards we exchanged every year.
My Norway buddy was diagnosed with a brain tumor 4 months after his return to his Norway residence - he died within 6 months after that.
And then the domino affect seemed to ripple out among our members and over the next 3 years we lost another 6 members from that group of 15 that had met those 3 wonderful days.

It sucks the wind out of your sails to know that someone you've butted heads with about 'Gun Control' so adamantly - like it was going to change the universe could be such a 'elfin' ...full white/neatly trimmed beard and mustache too - looking old curmudgeon with a deep resonating voice/chuckle and demeanor --- and all marshmallow-softie inside.  Some of the 'original group' just switched over to FB and drop by for a morning hello and the annual holiday letter to just catch up with immediate family matters - like distant cousins but like people we've known for 16 years now. 
But that is one of the communities that we only just pass by on another Daily Quiz that we keep going - the community forum just dried up; seemed like the memory and the memorial page acknowledgements were growing faster then the posts about current events and fighting about the political BS was just really STUPID.

That's a lovely story, your friend from Norway wanted to see you all in person , and you all enabled him to do that.

It's very sad when we hear someone who has posted alongside us has died....even if we never met them we feel we know them.
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu May 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Stormee wrote:I would take my Uzi Miss Ragga

And your tin hat ...

Do you think we will recognise him??
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu May 26, 2016 1:40 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I'd rather put needles in my eyes!   In fact, I can't think of anything more tedious.   However, if, perchance, I bumped into you on Deansgate, I'd probably nod and smile. tongue

Well I will recognise you if I ever see you. Flanked by dogs and wearing very risqué tassles. Laughing
I will have a flouncy dress made from my nans old curtains on obviously
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 pm

eddie wrote:You're all wrong. You'd all probably get in with most people as most people are different in RL.

A lot of stuff said in here is said in the heat of the moment - I'm sure a half of it isn't meant.

'Most' being the operative word.
There are a handful of people I personally would never give the time of day to....but I suppose 4 or 5 out of the hundreds I have interacted with online is a tiny minority.
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri May 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I'd rather put needles in my eyes!   In fact, I can't think of anything more tedious.   However, if, perchance, I bumped into you on Deansgate, I'd probably nod and smile. tongue

Well I will recognise you if I ever see you. Flanked by dogs and wearing  very risqué  tassles. Laughing
I will have a flouncy dress made from my nans old curtains on obviously

Ah, yes. THAT dress. Dogs? Pretendy ones you mean.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 pm

No....lovely real white dogs...or was it singular?
The only pretend dogs I know are on a forum that best not be named....ooops...too late. Razz
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum