HELP...(again)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:44 pm

Does anyone know how to get rid of repeated RESTART TO UPGRADE notices from Windows 10?
I am getting them every 45 minutes, the only alternative option I get is to re-schedule the restart for a further 15 minutes.

It's only happened in the last couple of days.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:51 pm

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/disabling-windows-10-upgrade-notification
But, there's also another way. You can block the icon from showing and disable notifications. Using the Windows registry editor, do this:

  1. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
  2. Create a new REG_DWORD registry value called: DisableGwx
  3. Give it a value of: 1

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks 4ever.....I don't think that applies here though.

I am already on Windows 10...this is an AUTOMATIC RESTART SCHEDULE. It keeps closing down the laptop so it can "finish installing uploads".

Normally it does this every week or so, now it's doing it every 45 mins.....next one is due at 4pm so I am typing fast before it 'restarts' again.

I just read my OP and I hadn't explained the problem properly.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Ok...I've shut those updates down and if there are any notifications that I need to review they sit in a file and await my looky-see prior to uploading automatically. 
And my updates don't filter into my computer until I'm in bed --- less interrupted computer down time. 

Sorry, for the interjection...I'd just sent that over to a group on FB or I'd not had it so handy!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Have you checked / modified your 'Scheduled Updates' under your laptops security settings? 

You can manipulate this download options in there.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:28 pm

4EVER2 wrote:Have you checked / modified your 'Scheduled Updates' under your laptops security settings? 

You can manipulate this download options in there.

I cant do it... I see the prompt but it doesn't give me the option to change it.
For some reason it is now set at 10.45 am tomorrow....suppose that's better than every 45 minutes.
I haven't altered any times or settings on the PC...I am baffled (which admittedly does not take much re technology)  Rolling Eyes
Ta 4Ever. x
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:58 pm

I'm pretty lousy at getting what I know out of my head and onto a typed post --- people have noticed that I get far too wordy!  LOL

But did you try the 'advance options' under the Security settings???

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm

4EVER2 wrote:I'm pretty lousy at getting what I know out of my head and onto a typed post --- people have noticed that I get far too wordy!  LOL

But did you try the 'advance options' under the Security settings???

Yes...but I still don't have the option to change my 'restart' times.
It says ' a restart has been scheduled for 10.45 tomorrow'
It says if the time is not convenient to select one more suitable.....but it doesn't allow me to change the existing time.

I have no idea why the restart is happening so often, it never has in the past.

I am beginning to suspect the cat has roamed over my keyboard and pressed keys that are beyond my limited knowledge.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:52 pm

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-reboot-loop-after-windows-10-update.html

nope it is new bug 6 days old

you probably have an AMD graphics card so options 2 is likely to fix it

But try this first
Microsoft has released updated fix for this "reboot loop" issue. You can get it fixed via Windows Update. Open Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select “Check for updates”.  An additional update will be downloaded and installed to your Windows 10 computer to fix the endless reboot loop.
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:04 am

Good...I'm so happy that I've got my 'auto updates' on HOLD; so I'm able to review any & all of them prior to allowing the access to my system!  ~~WHEW~~
I so despised Windows 8.1 that I wasn't going to allow #10 unlimited access without my prior approval.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:19 pm

veya_victaous wrote:http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-reboot-loop-after-windows-10-update.html

nope it is new bug 6 days old

you probably have an AMD graphics card so options 2 is likely to fix it

But try this first
Microsoft has released updated fix for this "reboot loop" issue. You can get it fixed via Windows Update. Open Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select “Check for updates”.  An additional update will be downloaded and installed to your Windows 10 computer to fix the endless reboot loop.

Thanks Veya, I have downloaded the 'driver talent'....see if that helps.
Smile
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Syl wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-reboot-loop-after-windows-10-update.html

nope it is new bug 6 days old

you probably have an AMD graphics card so options 2 is likely to fix it

But try this first


Thanks Veya, I have downloaded the 'driver talent'....see if that helps.
Smile

I never allow auto windows upgrades they're a pain in the fucking arse. From what I've heard, windows 10 is even worse shite than windows 8
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 7068
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:40 pm

Syl wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:I'm pretty lousy at getting what I know out of my head and onto a typed post --- people have noticed that I get far too wordy!  LOL

But did you try the 'advance options' under the Security settings???

Yes...but I still don't have the option to change my  'restart' times.
It says ' a restart has been scheduled for 10.45 tomorrow'
It says if the time is not convenient to select one more suitable.....but it doesn't allow me to change the existing time.

I have no idea why the restart is happening so often, it never has in the past.

I am beginning to suspect the cat has roamed over my keyboard and pressed keys that are beyond my limited knowledge.

Go into Settings, Control Panel. Go into System and Security, then Windows Update. Turn off Automatic updating.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 7068
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:36 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Thanks Veya, I have downloaded the 'driver talent'....see if that helps.
Smile

I never allow auto windows upgrades they're a pain in the fucking arse.   From what I've heard, windows 10 is even worse shite than windows 8
So not true with the many FB & internet friends that all accepted the 'Free Up Grade to Windows 10' last June; it's had a few bugs but nothing like the HORROR that 8.1 was...but I did learn my lesson about allowing unfiltered upgrades to go on unchecked ~~~never do that again.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:08 am

avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16404
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:43 pm

My new comp came with windows 10 and the Edge browser.
It's probably OK, it's just that when something goes wrong I never know what to do....I liked windows 7 on my old lappy best.
It seemed so uncomplicated to me.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:35 pm

I'll stand by that win 7.5 as one of the BEST of the VERY BEST that windows ever put out---which is why so many people objected to being forced to keep getting up graded when those up grades were so problematic Mad
The first thing I did do with my windows 10 was to hide the 'EDGE' and go back to my 'EXPLORER' option---my brain can only handle just so many changes in such a short period of time Shocked

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:02 pm

I don't mind the Edge 4Ever....I have downloaded IE too, and I do use that from time to time also...but I have got used to the edge now.

Fingers crossed I have not been forced to restart today...I got rid of the Driver thingy because after I had installed it my lappy was slow....so I uninstalled it again.

To be honest I have no idea what I'm doing, Razz but thanks for the tips all. x
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by nicko on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Syl, I don't know what i'm doing either!
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8652
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Syl on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:36 pm

nicko wrote:Syl,    I don't know what i'm doing either!

Well we say that Nicko, but we are here, posting, so we must be doing something right. Laughing
avatar
Syl

Posts : 13022
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP...(again)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum