Is This Racist

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Is This Racist

Post by Syl on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:

I have probably always been the same. Manchester has always been a mix of everyone.
I'm not saying I deliberately leave out a persons colour when describing them....I just don't usually think of it.

You're trying not to be like my mother, whose stories always start with, "This Asian woman ..." "This black guy ..." "This Mexican ..." Evil or Very Mad

I'm not trying....I'm just not. Laughing
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:23 pm

But to add to my post above.....I do drive my own son mad in other ways.
I still ocassionally slip up with 'coloured' instead of' black', we have mixed race in our family and my OH still says half caste, these were the terms that were acceptable to our generation and sometimes it's hard to remember before we speak.

The younger generation can be quite impatient when we slip up. Rolling Eyes
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:26 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
didge wrote:
What message?
Lets be honest, a few people have seen this picture., wrongly shout racism, when they is no overt racism within this picture .I can view this picture completely different and clearly if you look more closely her elbow is not even resting on the on the other kids head. She is not even leaning towards that side but fully upright, where you could easily argue she is just stroking back her hair. only her head is tilted to the left, but people can see what ever they want to create from a picture. Sadly with the far left they just invent racism, when there is none
The problem is some people see racism, when there is no racism.

http://www.glamour.com/story/ellen-degeneres-gapkids-ed

Now look at the photo from the year previously and this time its a black boy and his arm is resting on the white girls head.

Its just kids being told to look a certain way for a photo shoot. I doubt as well Gap even foresaw how this would have the far left create something out of nothing

How amusing...obviously you neglected to read the entire article from Stormee's link; Mad And assumed {wrongly} about the gender of the taller young 'LADY'---rather racists in that assumption - IMO Rolling Eyes
So you are claiming 

A black film director added a new twist to the story. Matthew A. Cherry tweeted a picture from an old Gap ad campaign that showed a tall black girl resting her arm on the head of a shorter white girl, side by side with the new image. "Does the pic on the left make the pic on the right OK?" he asked. http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35968787 

And since I'm admittedly totally a 'non-twitter' user of any means; the conversation began when some 'Black Mothers' posed a question about what the 'GAP' ad was trying to say and what they were 'SUPPOSE' to tell their own young girls that it represented. So obviously...some of those mothers know that their young girls are looking and are paying attention to ads; far more then anyone of my generation did.

And the discussion took off...loads of 'PROS vs CONS' about the ad but Gap still ended up pulling it. 

If in this 21st century we still have racial issues {POTUS is a prime example of the vitriol for 7+ years} then we as a global community have much to improve. 
Of all the posted twitter accounts - we aren't given any insights into the demographics of who/what/when/where that those mothers questioned the 'ADS MEANING' so it's not any easy discussion to have. 
But it is an important discussion since there is - has been a marked increase in Race Baiting/Race Shaming/Racial Issues, especially in America.  I can't speak for the UK but this article was clipped from a BBC printed piece.

To the point discussed about physical descriptions: one wouldn't provide a race detail if you were in...say Mexico - would you need to clarify that the person you were looking for was Spanish?  Or if you were standing in the middle of a open market in a rural African country - would you need to clarify that the person was Black? The uniqueness for identification purposes become highly necessary when we all live in such blended cultures --- of course you'd used skin tone as one of many methods to describe who/what they looked like. 

Does that make us a race biased human...I don't think so; you're trying to describe someone - not alienate them.

So let me get this straight.
Where i am mistaken over the gender of the oldest child in the photo, we have another "shout racism" card being played.
I was simple mistaken over the gender. So best not mazke such claims, when they are unfounded.
That is not being racist at all and the very fact you are again making up falsified claims, is deliberately attempting to goad and stir
So your post and points had zero relevance and set out to falsely label me, based off a genuine mistake
Biologically there is no such thing as races, they are social constructs

Again sadly those on the far left invent racism, when there is none at all there

Its time people treating each as their fellow humans
If they had done that from the start, racism, would not even exist.

Again views being made on media sites are all complete conjecture and this is making a situation out of nothing.
When there is actual reason racism being suffered by groups. This just poorly again renders the term of racism further watered downed.
Again in the first picture, like i said, her arm is not even resting on the head.
Where there is already still high tension in the US with the black comm unity, over shootings by some police.
This does nothing to further their cause of the eradication of racism.
As any picture can be viewed however the individual themselves view and understand that picture itself.
That does not mean it was created born from a racial stance.
Like i said the most unnatural act is being upside down,, of which that kid is white.
What people should do is look at this as a picture of Kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Syl wrote:But to add to my post above.....I do drive my own son mad in other ways.
I still ocassionally slip up with 'coloured' instead of' black', we have mixed race in our family and my OH still says half caste, these were the terms that were acceptable to our generation and sometimes it's hard to remember before we speak.

I speak as I speak and I still say half caste. I refuse to be told different and I haven't met ONE black person who thinks half caste is wrong.
I've said this before, a black friend of mine has a white husband and she refers to her children as half caste. She's of my generation and thinks all this PC crap is crap.

eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Living in a community in which I see people of all ethnic groups on pretty much a daily basis, I note skin color but it's more like you'd notice someone with blonde hair, or who was over six feet tall. It's just a physical descriptor.

The photo certainly wasn't intended to be racist -- GAP is a huge corporation and can't sell tons of clothes if its message is "whituz doesn't like mixin' wif da blackiz, innit?"

WHAT IF I TOLD YOU that people of all races can be oversensitive ... ?

You just basically said what I've said but with a picture of a hunky dude, so you win.
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:36 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:But to add to my post above.....I do drive my own son mad in other ways.

I speak as I speak and I still say half caste. I refuse to be told different and I haven't met ONE black person who thinks half caste is wrong.
I've said this before, a black friend of mine has a white husband and she refers to her children as half caste. She's of my generation and thinks all this PC crap is crap.

It's pc (often shouted loudest by whites) mixed with the ever changing language....and some people get overly offended imo.
Negro used to be an acceptable word too...now it isn't, the words we use today will probably be out of favour before too long.
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:00 pm

I have never heard of that...it might be a local word.
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:00 pm

eddie wrote:

Half-caste is a term for a category of people of mixed race or ethnicity

So you would then also refer to me as half caste?
Its original meaning was certainly formed from a prejudice view, but I do not see it as offensive anymore and is used to classify in places like New Zealand. So if we are going to use a term, then it should be uniform throughout.
Mixed race is the poorer view to classify people, as biologically mixed races do not exist. Again it is yet another social construct. 
As my parents are of different ethnic groups

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:13 pm

didge wrote:The problem is some people see racism, when there is no racism.

And with many, racism is there when there is no cause for racism. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Fact is, western racism began when slavery began...with Anglo Saxons importing slaves over to the Americas and the Caribbean. Now we have the southern white supremacist, at odds with the black, and of course, the black looks suspiciously back at the white.

It's really not about whether there is any discernible racism in the ad. It's about distrust.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Original Quill wrote:

And with many, racism is there when there is no cause for racism.  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Fact is, western racism began when slavery began...with Anglo Saxons importing slaves over to the Americas and the Caribbean.  Now we have the southern white supremacist, at odds with the black, and of course, the black looks suspiciously back at the white.

It's really not about whether there is any discernible racism in the ad.  It's about distrust.

But as a mother and the methods of our advertisements have been placed under that social microscope --- the youth of this generations are far more astute about ALL THE SOCIAL ISSUES.  Not at all like how my generation were; we had no idea what 'subliminal' was or if that was even a real word!  Did that commercial have a 'catchy tune - was the jingle something that stuck in our heads forever?'  And magazine ads --- did any of us ever really look at those images; unless there were some scantily clad human in them...chances we just ignored them. 

Not these kids - not these parents...the twitter questions were from mothers of young teens; can't tell you if they were black/bi-racial - where they lived - how old their girls are...but the mothers had concerns and they posed the questions! I don't have a teenager - I don't have a bi-racial teenager - so I don't know the impact that those with whom took such immediate issue with that photo have lived with daily.

Seems no matter how well intentioned Ellen DeGeneres was and the GAP campaign meant...their advertisement staff might have dropped the ball for thinking it all through. Suspect  
I've seen worse ad's and wondered WTF were they thinking to put that beautiful woman - in that stunning swim suit next to that obviously poor/malnourished old horse?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Original Quill wrote:

And with many, racism is there when there is no cause for racism.  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Fact is, western racism began when slavery began...with Anglo Saxons importing slaves over to the Americas and the Caribbean.  Now we have the southern white supremacist, at odds with the black, and of course, the black looks suspiciously back at the white.

It's really not about whether there is any discernible racism in the ad.  It's about distrust.

That is incorrect, as slavery began at the birth of civilization.
as soon as humans held more power than before, they then took advantage of others.
Well if you are led by mistrust over the add, then its you yourself that is allowing your trust to be misplaced, as its blatantly obvious, this was not born from a prejudice stance of black people. Sadly Quill your knowledge of racism is limited to the areas that concern black history. Which leaves huge chunk of racism you continually overlook and constantly downplay. All racism is wrong. as its born from the same flawed reasoning. What is wrong is to claim racism, when there is zero evidence here of any racism

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 pm

sassy wrote:Me to, it's kinda a halo for a beautiful face.

I don't think I've heard anything so cheesey in a very long time...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:14 pm

Syl wrote:Am I the only one who never really notices colour till it's mentioned?
I was describing someone the other day....she is tallish, dark curly hair, about 40 ....the woman I was talking to seemed baffled. She wears a red coat a lot.....is friends with so and so....still baffled, then she said "Is she black"?....she is, but it hadn't even occurred to me that she was. Razz

That's how the police like to record criminal descriptions...
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:16 pm

Syl wrote:I very much doubt anyone even suggested the last pic was racist.
What a shame some people always have to believe that the black person is being targeted when clearly they are not.

Funny that isn't it...
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:32 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:I very much doubt anyone even suggested the last pic was racist.
What a shame some people always have to believe that the black person is being targeted when clearly they are not.

Funny that isn't it...

No it ain't. It's fucked up.
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:20 am

Lefties are funked up...
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:42 am

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

as soon as humans held more power than before, they then took advantage of others.

But not western slavery. Read more carefully, didge.

didge wrote:Well if you are led by mistrust over the add, then its you yourself that is allowing your trust to be misplaced, as its blatantly obvious, this was not born from a prejudice stance of black people.

It has nothing to do with me, didge. I quite understand why blacks distrust the white power structure, and hence why they would at least search an ad like this for coded content. I disclaim any such content...but, again, I understand.

didge wrote:Sadly Quill your knowledge of racism is limited to the areas that concern black history. Which leaves huge chunk of racism you continually overlook and constantly downplay. All racism is wrong. as its born from the same flawed reasoning. What is wrong is to claim racism, when there is zero evidence here of any racism

Sadly, black history is racism in my world. Any other kind of racism I have little feeling for, as I have not lived or experienced its history. Others can champion those causes.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:58 am

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:

But not western slavery.  Read more carefully, didge.

didge wrote:Well if you are led by mistrust over the add, then its you yourself that is allowing your trust to be misplaced, as its blatantly obvious, this was not born from a prejudice stance of black people.

It has nothing to do with me, didge.  I quite understand why blacks distrust the white power structure, and hence why they would at least search an ad like this for coded content.  I disclaim any such content...but, again, I understand.

didge wrote:Sadly Quill your knowledge of racism is limited to the areas that concern black history. Which leaves huge chunk of racism you continually overlook and constantly downplay. All racism is wrong. as its born from the same flawed reasoning. What is wrong is to claim racism, when there is zero evidence here of any racism

Sadly, black history is racism in my world.  Any other kind of racism I have little feeling for, as I have not lived or experienced its history.  Others can champion those causes.

Yes even western slavery predates the African slave trade, but not the Islamic one in Africa by well over a thousand year, but the Middle east is earlier than that as to exploiting people as slaves
Again you are centering on only one apsect  on racism of groups that suffer racism. 
Yes you have lived Black history, as it is a part of American history. You are just not able to view this history recorded and taught from the view point of an African American. So Black history is not racism. It specializes on one a specif group who have suffered.

As to the advert itself, you are claiming subversive racism by gap, based only on poor unsubstantiated accusations . Where Gap knowingly knew, as they would have to know. That by a arm raised above and behind an African American. Was going according to plan, to draw attention to themselves and be accused of racism?

Look at what i have just reasoned.
You have yet to prove and reason why you are basing a view of racism
There is no reasoning to claim racism here

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:13 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Lefties are funky...

clown
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:57 am

didge wrote:
eddie wrote:

Half-caste is a term for a category of people of mixed race or ethnicity

So you would then also refer to me as half caste?
Its original meaning was certainly formed from a prejudice view, but I do not see it as offensive anymore and is used to classify in places like New Zealand. So if we are going to use a term, then it should be uniform throughout.
Mixed race is the poorer view to classify people, as biologically mixed races do not exist. Again it is yet another social construct. 
As my parents are of different ethnic groups

yeah most half castes i know are proud half castes, we own the word now Laughing
does this mean we can call people racist if they use it but use it ourselves confused
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:16 am

It's just become a beating stick now. It's an overused word and has lost alot of meaning because people don't really know it means and just say it for no reason.
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:19 am

This forum is pretty tolerant as a whole and I don't see racism at every turn, nor do most black or Asian people tbh....it's a white thing.
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:27 pm

It's only whites who are getting blamed for it...
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:24 pm

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

But not western slavery.  Read more carefully, didge.

It has nothing to do with me, didge.  I quite understand why blacks distrust the white power structure, and hence why they would at least search an ad like this for coded content.  I disclaim any such content...but, again, I understand.

Sadly, black history is racism in my world.  Any other kind of racism I have little feeling for, as I have not lived or experienced its history.  Others can champion those causes.

Yes even western slavery predates the African slave trade, but not the Islamic one in Africa by well over a thousand year, but the Middle east is earlier than that as to exploiting people as slaves
Again you are centering on only one apsect  on racism of groups that suffer racism. 
Yes you have lived Black history, as it is a part of American history. You are just not able to view this history recorded and taught from the view point of an African American. So Black history is not racism. It specializes on one a specif group who have suffered.

As to the advert itself, you are claiming subversive racism by gap, based only on poor unsubstantiated accusations . Where Gap knowingly knew, as they would have to know. That by a arm raised above and behind an African American. Was going according to plan, to draw attention to themselves and be accused of racism?

Semantic games are a foolish waste of time, didge. I mean precisely the African slave trade. Your point is a red herring. Move on.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Stormee wrote:So much alleged racism is unnecessarily  caused by trolls on forums stirring the pot, nit picking when there is not a genuine case to answer.
Also there are those who have a chip on their shoulder for their private situations.

In my life people know where I stand I know where they stand, simpul.

The problem is, the people who started it are the likes of Adam Lanza or James Eagan Holmes or John Russell Houser, Dylann Roof or Michael Slager.  Christian racial terrorism is real.  You can't run from it.  You can't hide.

These men, and their thousands of predecessors, start a chair reaction of anticipation.  What do you expect: hate breeds hate.  Was that a racial slur?  What did she mean by that?  You can't play in the mud and pretend you aren't dirty.

America is a racist nation.  Racism polarizes.  In times like these, people go to the walls and defend their turf.  We have presidential candidates who are openly racists, pandering to openly racist voters, asking to racially exclude and disenfranchise people on the basis of race.  You get what you ask for.  Long ago Americal asked for racism; now she's got it.  What a surprise.

How small of us to be worried about an insignificant ad by GAP, when the flap is symbolic of much more important things...much greater evils.  And here we are sipping tea and politely debating if Bobby and Sandra are being disingenuous. Rolling Eyes
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:47 pm

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:

Semantic games are a foolish waste of time, didge.  I mean precisely the African slave trade.  Your point is a red herring.  Move on.

Well there was more than one African slave trade.
So again you only ever center on the African Slave trade.
So lets then talk about the other African Slave Trade.
The one that last centuries longer than the European one.
Not that it matters to discuss any of them on this thread.

So clearly by your last few post where you deflected.
is basically you saying you there is no case for racism here.

No problem. It would just be a tad easier to say that from the start.

All; the best

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:15 pm

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Semantic games are a foolish waste of time, didge.  I mean precisely the African slave trade.  Your point is a red herring.  Move on.

All; the best

Didge, I'm finished with that issue. I've disposed of it.

We are now discussing how an environment of racism creates an expectation of antagonism, as we see in the responses to the GAP ad. The question really isn't whether there is a racial message, but why the anticipation arises.

If you have two peoples who are continually at odds with one another, you begin to have an assumption that everything is antagonistic. The Irish and English? The Israelis and Palestinians? The Tutsis and the Hutus. Indonesians and East Timorese. It's human nature.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:28 pm

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:

All; the best

Didge, I'm finished with that issue.  I've disposed of it.

We are now discussing how an environment of racism creates an expectation of antagonism, as we see in the responses to the GAP ad.  The question really isn't whether there is a racial message, but why the anticipation arises.

If you have two peoples who are continually at odds with one another, you begin to have an assumption that everything is antagonistic.  The Irish and English?  The Israelis and Palestinians?  The Tutsis and the Hutus.  Indonesians and East Timorese.  It's human nature.

Then you are very much mistaken.
Again there is no evidence of racism within the add.
You can of course continue to believe this unsubstantiated accusation.
You are trying to make something fit, when it does not even fit.
If Americans viewed and treated each others as Americans, no matter their ethnicity. You would go a long way to diminishing racism. The only reason we have races as a social construct, is to then offer protection for ethnic groups from racial discrimination.
So making a false claim here is not going to further this debate, when you have offered up no evidence. But immediately judging gap top being inadvertently racist. Again where you base this it seems off the African Slave trade,as being connected.

Its only been running since 1969 and unless you can offer up numerous cases of racism found within its stores.
Then your claims in groundless

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:36 pm

There is also a major reason it cannot be racism.

Brooke Smith, an actress known for her roles in Grey’s Anatomy and Silence of the Lambs, revealed that both girls in question were her daughters. The 12-year-old girl, Fanny Grace Lubensky, is her biological child. Smith adopted the younger girl, Lucy Dinkesh Lubensky, from Ethiopia. Smith took to Twitter to spread the word that the girls were sisters, and ask users to “calm down”.

Are you claiming Quill her older sister is being racist towards her younger sister?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Excuse me for butting in, but I am not sure quill ever said the ad was racist did he?
I thought he started going on about something else - correct me if I'm wrong - I thought he was asking WHY some people might've thought it was racist?
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:48 pm

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Didge, I'm finished with that issue.  I've disposed of it.

We are now discussing how an environment of racism creates an expectation of antagonism, as we see in the responses to the GAP ad.  The question really isn't whether there is a racial message, but why the anticipation arises.

If you have two peoples who are continually at odds with one another, you begin to have an assumption that everything is antagonistic.  The Irish and English?  The Israelis and Palestinians?  The Tutsis and the Hutus.  Indonesians and East Timorese.  It's human nature.

If Americans viewed and treated each others as Americans, no matter their ethnicity. You would go a long way to diminishing racism. The only reason we have races as a social construct, is to then offer protection for ethnic groups from racial discrimination.
So making a false claim here is not going to further this debate, when you have offered up no evidence. But immediately judging gap top being inadvertently racist. Again where you base this it seems off the African Slave trade,as being connected.

Its only been running since 1969 and unless you can offer up numerous cases of racism found within its stores.

I know didge.  You're having this conversation with someone else.  The real game is over here.

Why are people hypersensitive about the subject whenever something like this comes up? It's indicative of the already-charged racism in the US. That's my point.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:

I know didge.  You're having this conversation with someone else.  The real game is over here.

Why are people hypersensitive about the subject whenever something like this comes up?  It's indicative of the already-charged racism in the US.  That's my point.

Its very simple Quill, as already stated earlier, people want to see racism when it does not exist.
Again the problems in the US are formed by both Political right and left. The left see and view racism, when there is no racism and the right can be overtly racist. Also the far left can be just as racist towards Jews. So again and i will repeat again for you.
People have in some cases an obsession that views and see racism within everything. They make combating where real racism has happened to being problematic and provide the racists with a counter excuse. If a regressive is formed within people, they will actively look for racism and as seen invent this. Its more about right and left political views championing other the other.
Many on the left have been brought up to feel guilty, for nothing they did wrong. This standing does not help the combating of racism. as the key is to all groups being treated equally under the law. So that is why some are hyper sensitive, they negative feeling of guilt they need not even feel, is what creates the view something is racist. We should always learn from the past, but you should never lead your life in perpetual guilt. as they will continually blame themselves. Which again does nothing to combat racism

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:39 pm

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Why are people hypersensitive about the subject whenever something like this comes up?  It's indicative of the already-charged racism in the US.  That's my point.

Its very simple Quill, as already stated earlier, people want to see racism when it does not exist.
Again the problems in the US are formed by both Political right and left. The left see and view racism, when there is no racism and the right can be overtly racist. Also the far left can be just as racist towards Jews. So again and i will repeat again for you.
People have in some cases an obsession that views and see racism within everything. They make combating where real racism has happened to being problematic and provide the racists with a counter excuse. If a regressive is formed within people, they will actively look for racism and as seen invent this. Its more about right and left political views championing other the other.
Many on the left have been brought up to feel guilty, for nothing they did wrong. This standing does not help the combating of racism. as the key is to all groups being treated equally under the law. So that is why some are hyper sensitive, they negative feeling of guilt they need not even feel, is what creates the view something is racist. We should always learn from the past, but you should never lead your life in perpetual guilt. as they will continually blame themselves. Which again does nothing to combat racism

I think we are avoiding the essential question. It started someplace...and that place is with slavery, which became peonage, which became 'separate but equal', which became segregation, which became white supremacy, which we now see cropping up as laws to covertly deny voting rights, health, housing, and on and on.

So the suspicions rage on and on, like an underground river, still flowing even if unseen. The guilt is hardly with the left; they are the ones on the battle lines and frankly don't have time for guilt.

If anyone is responsible for the interpretation that the GAP ad has racial overtones, the guilty are not on the left, but the right. Or have Wisconsin and Pennsylvania dropped their voter suppression laws? The repeated, real-life efforts of the right to deny rights to blacks, and indeed to keep them in second-class citizenship, vindicates the suspicions of blacks about such ads. It really has reached the point where the explanation should come, if at all, from the right.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:

I think we are avoiding the essential question.  It started someplace...and that place is with slavery, which became peonage, which became 'separate but equal', which became segregation, which became white supremacy, which we now see cropping up as laws to covertly deny voting rights, health, housing, and on and on.

So the suspicions rage on and on, like an underground river, still flowing even if unseen.  The guilt is hardly with the left; they are the ones on the battle lines and frankly don't have time for guilt.  

If anyone is responsible for the interpretation that the GAP ad has racial overtones, the guilty are not on the left, but the right.  Or have Wisconsin and Pennsylvania dropped their voter suppression laws?  The repeated, real-life efforts of the right to deny rights to blacks, and indeed to keep them in second-class citizenship, vindicates the suspicions of blacks about such ads.  It really has reached the point where the explanation should come, if at all, from the right.

Again it started through the negative belief to make some white people feel continually guilty over events centuries ago.
That is not how you learn from history as you never played a part in any of those events. Even being born into an advantage through where there is evidence of white privilege within the US systems. So going off white supremacy fails to see why people so regressed by being drummed ionto them, that they are to blame for the prejudice by some other Americans, is as seen a failing. As it allows then for people who feel constantly guilty to view the human world racially.

This is the fundamental factor maintaining racism in the US. Again humans are biologically one race, where the races used to identify people are social constructs. thus all the people of the US should be uniting behind that national identity and  not to view the world constantly through racial thinking. As seen it allows those regressed to then invent a claim of racism, when none exist.

You asked what made people view this as racist. It was some on the left who claim and invented this, because they view the world just as racists do, racially. You then have on one side a contingent of white supremacists that  racially promote hatred of some Americans based on flawed hateful reasoning. The regressive also views the world racially, to look create racism where none exist. So both those on the left and right was who were responsible for this. Such false claims of racism, again do nothing to help where real racism exists and will only then further create disharmony between Americans

So it took people clearly from the regressive quarter, to look at the picture from a racial view point. They never look at the picture, as nothing more that american children as models for Gap. Even more so when you learn that two of them are in fact are sisters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't think anyone was thinking about guilt.  That's what white people feel when they think upon their deeds, and then they respond to the same.

Black people don't think about guilt.  They don't have the time to contemplate emotional states.  They have neither the money nor the freedom for such luxurious indulgences.  They are too busy looking over their shoulders, ducking the cop who is shooting at them.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Original Quill wrote:I don't think anyone was thinking about guilt.  That's what white people feel when they think upon their deeds, and then they respond to the same.

Black people don't think about guilt.  They don't have the time to contemplate emotional states.  They have neither the money or the freedom for such luxurious indulgences.  They are too busy looking over their shoulders.

Again of course they are because they look at the picture from a racial view point. They did not view the picture as advertisement or American kids modelling clothes.. It took viewing this racially, to then form a view a sister as if leaning on her younger sister to be racism.
African Americans are fed many of the views by the those regressive on the left. So they buy into the same view point. Where also if they see racism within this picture, they are also viewing this racially.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:09 pm

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:I don't think anyone was thinking about guilt.  That's what white people feel when they think upon their deeds, and then they respond to the same.

Black people don't think about guilt.  They don't have the time to contemplate emotional states.  They have neither the money or the freedom for such luxurious indulgences.  They are too busy looking over their shoulders.

Again of course they are because they look at the picture from a racial view point. They did not view the picture as advertisement or American kids modelling clothes.. It took viewing this racially, to then form a view a sister as if leaning on her younger sister to be racism.
African Americans are fed many of the views by the those regressive on the left. So they buy into the same view point. Where also if they see racism within this picture, they are also viewing this racially.

Take this view, for instance:

Probably shot by a regressive leftist.  Who cares?  Proof is in the pudding.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:

Take this view, for instance:

Probably shot by a regressive leftist.  Who cares?  Proof is in the pudding.

That is capturing and witnessing an event film, which could be crucial evidence to the event.
You would be watching the clip already knowing the Police have shot somebody in the back.
Even then all that clip can showing is the police shooting someone in the back and does not automatically mean it was racially motivated. All that can do is be used to back other evidence which would then point to a racism as the motivating factor by proving this in a court of law

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:It's only whites who are getting blamed for it...

nope
we say it to Chinese and Indian people all the time
and they are mainly being derogatory towards each other Or middle easterners Neutral
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:33 am

Is this racist?
veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top