Most people in Scotland 'not religious'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Most people in Scotland 'not religious'

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:31 am

More than half of people in Scotland now have no religion, according to research.
Findings from the Scottish Social Attitudes survey show 52% of people say they are not religious, compared with 40% in 1999 when the survey began. The proportion who say they belong to the Church of Scotland has fallen from 35% in 1999 to just 20%.
Other religious groups, including Roman Catholic (15%) and other Christian (11%) have remained steady.
The number of non-Christians has remained at 2%.

The research, published by ScotCen Social Research, also reveals attendance at religious services is at the lowest level recorded since 1999.
Two-thirds of people living in Scotland who say they are religious "never or practically never" attend services, compared with 49% when the survey began.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-35953639

cheers

Back to top Go down

Re: Most people in Scotland 'not religious'

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Scots tend more toward rational thinking, and less toward metaphysical guessing.

Unquestionably the most intelligent people in the United Kingdom.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Original Quill wrote:Scots tend more toward rational thinking, and less toward metaphysical guessing.

Don't generalise will you? Laughing
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:Scots tend more toward rational thinking, and less toward metaphysical guessing.

Yeah right. Razz

Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Syl wrote:

Yeah right. Razz

lol!
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:13 pm

There goes Quill generalising again!

Quill, if you EVER accuse storm or tommy of generalising about Muslims (which they do) you will be the biggest hypocrite going.
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Well, there's nothing wrong with generalizing when you have the evidence to back you. The criticism is: don't generalize from specifics.

Scotland and intelligence go together. They have the best education system in the UK, and the four best universities in the UK. They have the finest medical and bio-sciences school in the world (Edinburgh). It's no coincidence that they broke the genetic code up there. Ummm...where did Sally the Sheep come from?

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Have you been drinking Quill?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:18 am

eddie wrote:There goes Quill generalising again!

Quill, if you EVER accuse storm or tommy of generalising about Muslims (which they do) you will be the biggest hypocrite going.

there is a Big difference
Quill is not saying ALL are this, there is no accusation leveled at all scotsman to clone a sheep
he is not suggest to cut funding to Anglo schools and just accept the english are hopeless
he is not suggesting to do anything... which is a big difference too.
TM say do something to this group of people because of a generalisation

Quill is saying on statically as a whole the Scots are more intelligent and Statically that is correct.
that is not a statement about any individual person.
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 am

Whatever Rolling Eyes
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:12 am

What Quill said isn't even true. I expect he's biased what with him having a castle in Scotland.

In any case, there's no evidence that religious faith or lack of it equates to more or less intelligence.
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What Quill said isn't even true. I expect he's biased what with him having a castle in Scotland.

Oh yes, and they build the finest castles.  Mine has existed since the 13th-century.

Raggamuffin wrote:In any case, there's no evidence that religious faith or lack of it equates to more or less intelligence.

The fact that one would accept something on chimera and illusion, as opposed to evidence, shows a lack of cognitive discipline.  I'm not saying Scots are better or more worthy (although...).  It's just that Scots follow an innate instinct to base their ideas on evidence.  

Religious faith shows a departure from such rigor, and is based upon a certain, well, ungoverned state of mind. That is why you will see Scots distancing themselves from such rituals.

Last edited by Original Quill on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What Quill said isn't even true. I expect he's biased what with him having a castle in Scotland.

Oh yes, and they build the finest castles.  Mine has existed since the 13th-century.

Raggamuffin wrote:In any case, there's no evidence that religious faith or lack of it equates to more or less intelligence.

The fact that you would accept something on chimera and illusion, as opposed to evidence, shows a lack of cognitive discipline.  I'm not saying Scots are better or more worthy (although...).  It's just that Scots have an innate instinct to base their ideas on evidence.  Religious faith shows a departure from such rigor, and is based upon a certain ungoverned state of mind.

Nonsense. You're just bigoted. I have to say that there are times when you don't show much "cognitive discipline" on here. Cool

Scots don't have an innate instinct for anything - can you prove they do?
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Scots don't have an innate instinct for anything - can you prove they do?

Original Quill wrote:Scotland and intelligence go together. They have the best education system in the UK, and the four best universities in the UK. They have the finest medical and bio-sciences school in the world (Edinburgh). It's no coincidence that they broke the genetic code up there. Ummm...where did Sally the Sheep come from?

You get where this is going. The evidence is overwhelming. Wink

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Also, who says that Scotland has the best four universities in the UK?

I think you'll find that England has better universities. Wink
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Do you live in Scotland Quill? I think you will find Eton and Oxford turn out the best.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:46 pm

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Scots don't have an innate instinct for anything - can you prove they do?

Original Quill wrote:Scotland and intelligence go together. They have the best education system in the UK, and the four best universities in the UK. They have the finest medical and bio-sciences school in the world (Edinburgh). It's no coincidence that they broke the genetic code up there. Ummm...where did Sally the Sheep come from?

You get where this is going.  The evidence is overwhelming. Wink

Your "evidence" isn't the result of "cognitive discipline" though - it was just something you made up. Laughing
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Yes, yes...as the former chairman of the Admission Standards Committee at Rutgers University, I still get tons of brochures about academic achievements of universities. I am sure they are all over the Internet, as well. They all present the No. 1 ranking in various different statistical ways. I am reminded of Darell Huff's book, How to Lie with Statistics (1954).

In this country there are things like NSF grant money, endowments and awards. Internationally, there are achievements such as most Nobel Prize recipients, as Berkeley has, by which to measure institutions.

I take a long term tried and true look at schools. I look at who is there, actually teaching, actually researching, what schools (movements) are active within, and what achievements are going on.

Institutions trade on their reputations. Yes, they even sell things like assistant professorships, based on Uncle Bob's gift of a new hospital wing. The young bucks come and go, as the only thing that matters is who gets tenure. Universities go in waves, sometimes riding a peak, sometimes a valley. But it's important, not to look at annual data, but to see the trends.

Scotland has always had an obvious commitment to academics. It's in their nature, as was my original point. But in the past two-and-a-half decades, the Scottish universities have been head and sholders above the rest of the schools in the UK. Now, as to Oxbridge, those two schools seem to be in a valley right now, as money seems to be short over there. As for the University of London (which includes London School of Economics & Political Science) I would love to be a cheerleader as I did a post-doctoral year there, and even taught some. But, while London has had a very big surge in the past decade, so have other competing universities. However, no surge has been enough to surpass the Scottish universities, which continue to be the cream of the crop.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:56 pm

sassy wrote:Here you go Quill:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Rankings for 2016

Bumped for Quill Cool
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:25 pm

nicko wrote:Do you live in Scotland Quill?    I think you will find Eton and Oxford turn out the best.    

king

DON'T YOU MEAN the best snobs, thickheads and Tory cannon fodder, nicko ?

AND WHAT OF those Englishmen who consider Cambridge superior to Oxford, then ?
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:48 am

I carried out a poll of all the Scots on here and to a man they all agreed with Quill. Every single one of them.

Laughing

Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:11 am

Irn Bru wrote:I carried out a poll of all the Scots on here and to a man they all agreed with Quill. Every single one of them.

Laughing

AND...we already know that Scots are the most reasonable, best educated people in the UK.  A poll based upon their opinion is far superior to, say, the English poll.

Laughing

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:40 am

There's no answer to that load of bollocks by people who feel inferior!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:55 am

Irn Bru wrote:I carried out a poll of all the Scots on here and to a man they all agreed with Quill. Every single one of them.

Laughing

Rolling Eyes
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Laughing

AND...we already know that Scots are the most reasonable, best educated people in the UK.  A poll based upon their opinion is far superior to, say, the English poll.

Laughing

Exactly Quill. Just the way it is.
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top