Woodland

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Woodland

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:54 pm

well folks , after months of hunting, and many dissapointments

we have today sent notice of intent to purchase to the vendor of the woodland I recently mentioned, and instructed our solicitor to get on with things.

purchasing land is different to a house, and is an easier and quicker process generally, on average about 4 weeks

so........ cheers

piccies will follow when we get in , and I'll keep ypu piccied up as we clear paths, glades and do some coppicing.

the first year we have decide the thing to do is just clear the paths and some area we want as open glade....and then we will watch through the year to see what growing there and base future action on what we observe....

oh and got some grey squirrels (aka tree rats ) to

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Woodland

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:56 pm

and there's a nice mature oak in there, so i expect Eddie FTL and Nems to join me for a naked pagan orgy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:02 pm

lol you randy bugger

Hope it goes through for you Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Also have sent you a PM

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm all for hugging trees! cheers

I'm not eating squirrel curry though

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:20 pm

eddie wrote:I'm all for hugging trees! cheers

I'm not eating squirrel curry though

ughhh Eddie!!!!! squirrel curry....thats nuts ..... Laughing

I mean...would YOU eat RAT?

grey squirrels are foul things...they eat sonbird eggs and chick, destroy and damage trees AND they can carry a disease known as tularaemia...a blood borne parasite....

YAK...no thanks....they will be left for the kites and buzzards......

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:42 pm

Hahahahaha you're a squirrelist!

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 pm

yup only the BRITISH (red) squirrel shall survive

death to the invaders......

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Lord Foul wrote:well folks , after months of hunting, and many dissapointments

we have today sent notice of intent to purchase to the vendor of the woodland I recently mentioned, and instructed our solicitor to get on with things.

purchasing land is different to a house, and is an easier and quicker process generally, on average about 4 weeks

so........ cheers

piccies will follow when we get in , and I'll keep ypu piccied up as we clear paths, glades and do some coppicing.

the first year we have decide the thing to do is just clear the paths and some area we want as open glade....and then we will watch through the year to see what growing there and base future action on what we observe....

oh and got some grey squirrels (aka tree rats ) to

Well, congratulations on your acreage purchase; land around here goes for approx. $2,000 - $3,500 an acre {depending on the natural gas &/or crude oil rights} and that's a combination of pasture/woodland/tilled farm land too.

What's the going price in your region?  Just give approximates --- you don't need to be specific.

I had to LMAO at the "TREE RATS" comment --- my mothers precise sentiments; while I've always fed them she'd be shooting at them with my pellet rifle --- all sorts of little round holes found in the bedroom window screens of her room confused

I've tried to get some of this color type established around here but --- haven't been successful {yet} --- seems the owls & other birds of prey can nab them quicker due to their color variation ~~~ Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:34 pm

I won't be celebrating the murder of grey squirrels obviously. They come into my garden and I love to see them.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Lord Foul wrote:and there's a nice mature oak in there, so i expect Eddie FTL and Nems to join me for a naked pagan orgy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wahey we shall be there! If there is an oak tree FTL can do her party piece. booby shake
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I won't be celebrating the murder of grey squirrels obviously. They come into my garden and I love to see them.

I agree Rags. I love the squirrels..and the foxes and the hedghogs that visit.

A poll recently found that 50% of people in the UK had never seen a hedgehog. Shocked
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:02 pm

Years ago my son brought in an Hedgehog, he placed in front of the fire and we watched hundreds of fleas jumping off it!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:10 pm

Yuck Nicko!

When I was younger I tried to pick one up, to move it out of the road.....it was really heavy!
And the spines really bruised my hands lol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Stormee wrote:Grey sqirrelz come into my garden after my nutz.

Just behind our house we have a almost 5 acre spinney which has been in our family for yearz.
I have posted 7/8 foxes all together which came out of it to feed on my offerings.
We have passed said spinner over to our kidz now.
It is surprising how much wildlife is in there.

I take about a dozen rabbits each year, could get many more.

I remember your lovely photos of the foxes Stormee.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I won't be celebrating the murder of grey squirrels obviously. They come into my garden and I love to see them.

Well Ragga, I can understand you POV ...they are , it has to be said, possibly the cutest vermin going, unfortunately they destroy trees, and now, worst of all they have been shown to carry a variety of tree diseses that are a threat to our woodlands as well....
things like ash die back, and so on....

and of course they are a non native invasive species that has almost wiped out our native red squirrel....which is even cuter....

considering the list of crimes against them, it isnt murder...its execution.....

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Vic I cannot believe you pick on little tiny sqizzles No

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:15 pm

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/trails/formby-red-squirrel-walk

This is a nice place to visit, the  red squirrel sanctuary in Formby. It's also next to a beautiful unspoilt beach...a great day out for all the family.

Last edited by Syl on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:16 pm

You're going to come back in your next life as an acorn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 pm

Syl wrote:https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/trails/formby-red-squirrel-walk

This is a nice place to visit,  the  red squirrel sanctuary in Formby. It's also next to a beautiful unspoilt beach...a great day out for all the family.

amazing place.....

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:50 pm

eddie wrote:You're going to come back in your next life as an acorn.

affraid

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:03 pm

Don't say I didn't warn ya No

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:28 pm

2nd time for my question/need to know>>>
Well, congratulations on your acreage purchase; land around here goes for approx. $2,000 - $3,500 an acre {depending on the natural gas &/or crude oil rights} and that's a combination of pasture/woodland/tilled farm land too.

What's the going price in your region?  Just give approximates --- you don't need to be specific.

I had that back up there along with my photo's of the black squirrels...but this place became a hot-bed of posts; did you miss my question or just didn't want to answer??? 

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:57 pm

aspca4ever wrote:
2nd time for my question/need to know>>>

I had that back up there along with my photo's of the black squirrels...but this place became a hot-bed of posts; did you miss my question or just didn't want to answer??? 

ooops sorry aspca....

saw it, read it, noted it........then forgot it..... Embarassed

woodland tends to go for around £6000/acre up to 12,000 per acre..depending on whats on/in it

arable land from 3,000 up again depending on where .what size and things like water supply

I doubt we would have got our bit for the price we did, if the land agent had been aware of the fact there are two year round springs providing potable water on site....

but they were not thus aware..so we win...for a change......
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Oh, TY...I'd forgotten about the water source question too; where I live we can {and I have} had a water well dug - hit water at 20' feet...because I live on a flat land that once was a huge river basin.

This huge section of fresh water is slowly shrinking and one of many reasons we fought against the KeystoneXXL pipeline being constructed across this fresh water source.  Can't undo crude oil leaking under ground into that fresh water source. 

But you've got 2 natural springs --- how fortunate for you --- do you have to have it tested prior to using it for human consumption?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:25 pm

not for personal use

BUT we have a https://berkey-waterfilters.co.uk/

fitted with both biological AND chemical filter candles

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:28 pm

I have taken a sample and had it tested however and its biologically clean and chemically acceptable no "nasties" and only slightly raised nitrate/nitrite ........ well within acceptable limits....
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I have taken a sample and had it tested however and its biologically clean and chemically acceptable  no "nasties" and only slightly raised nitrate/nitrite ........ well within acceptable limits....
17 yrs back when I was in the process of buying this place...the water coming out of the city managed water treatment was such a horrible color of rust---it looked like weak tea! There was an old well too, so I took water samples from both source's to a lab for testing; the old well water tested better than the city water and it wasn't rusty colored either---so I had another deeper well drilled {went 10' deeper} and run that through a heavy duty expensive filter system and pumped it into my home...primary use for drinking and cooking only; the city water is only for flushing toilet and kitchen sink area /cleaning. My household water tested to high for LEAD---not safe by my standards. If people fill up they're bath tubs it will often look like tea water Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:31 pm

no lead (within test limits)
only slightly raised nitrate/nitrite (to be expected on fertlised land)
no pesticides detectible
no herbicides detectable
no organics of concern

yay.....its drinkable as is...but just to be sure...through the filter it goes for drinking and cooking Laughing

belt and braces man me......
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Have to say many, many years ago went for a holiday in the Lake District just off Ullswater, an old hunting lodge that was set between two streams, and they supplied the lodge.  The water had been tested and was absolutely fine, but due to it's high mineral content was a funny colour.  The place had those really high victorian baths.  The first one I filled the kids looked at me and said 'we aren't getting in that, we'll come out dirtier than we went in'!   It was a fantastic place, had gas lighting, open fires and a kitchen range, the coathooks were stag antlers because it was in the middle of a deer park.  Had a veranda all the way round the outside, in the mornings the deer used to come and gather round the veranda.  You couldn't get a car up to it, the farmer took us and our luggage up on the back of a tractor!

OMG, just managed to find a picture of it online:

http://www.dalemain.com/pages/estate/the-bungalow.php

Situated on the historical Dalemain Estate, at the head of Martindale in the ancient deer forest, lies The Bungalow, a detached, single storey former shooting lodge that was constructed in 1910 by the Earl of Lonsdale (of Lowther Castle) for a visit by Kaiser Wilhelm to the Martindale deer shoot.
Sleeping up to 12, this property offers very private, self-catering accommodation with a difference. The house is an ideal place to stay for large or extended families, or 2 or 3 families holidaying together.  For an idea of layout and space click Floor Plan to Scale.
Set in an extremely isolated position, at the end of very steep, uneven track, and surrounded by spectacular Lake District scenery, The Bungalow offers an excellent base for walking and watching birds, red deer and other wildlife.
Backed by the famous High Street range, opposite the Nab and Beda Fell, and near to Hallin Fell and Place Fell, this holiday cottage offers unrivalled opportunities to explore the Lakeland fells. Various walks may be combined with a cruise on the famous Ullswater ‘Steamers’, taking in spectacular views of the lake, valley and the majestic Helvellyn range. You can walk to Glenridding, sail to Howtown and walk back to the Bungalow (or vice versa). Nearby, you can indulge yourself at the famous Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel

Last edited by sassy on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:37 pm

Lord Foul wrote:no lead (within test limits)
no pesticides detectible
no herbicides detectable
no organics of concern

yay.....its drinkable as is...but just to be sure...through the filter it goes for drinking and cooking Laughing

And I bet it will taste good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:52 pm

the funny colour of that water sassy would be due to the fact it ran through peat and had a high level of tannins

just boil and add milk...instant lakeland tea Laughing
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:53 pm

sassy wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:no lead (within test limits)
no pesticides detectible
no herbicides detectable
no organics of concern

It does...I had a swig anyway ...since it comes from a hillside spring ...(they are normally a safe bet....)
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 pm

That made me laugh!

I'm absolutely thrilled I found those pictures, lost some in a move and that place has such wonderful memories for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:54 pm

Lord Foul wrote:yup only the BRITISH (red) squirrel shall survive

They never invaded you, your wealthy elite thought they'd look cute on their manors and had them imported!
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
sassy wrote:

It does...I had a swig anyway ...since it comes from a hillside spring ...(they are normally a safe bet....)

Thinking of bottling it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

They never invaded you, your wealthy elite thought they'd look cute on their manors and had them imported!

yah mean like .......Muslims

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:12 am

WOW, Sassy...that lodge looked really divine...what a lovely place to just kick back and commune with nature & family and play card & board games all night long! 

A town over east of me a ways has been rated the best drinking water for the past several years >

Where does the world’s best drinking water come from?
Bottled vs. tap: which waters have the best aroma, taste and "mouth feel"? A competition in the United States finds out
By CNN Travel staff 26 February, 2013

The "international" signifier is a bit misleading. Though the awards do encourage global entrants, U.S. water samples dominate. 
On Saturday night, 11 judges spent hours tasting and selecting from among 82 waters sourced in 21 U.S. states and 10 foreign countries. There were 32 municipal waters -- straight from the tap -- from a dozen states, as well as Canada, South Korea and Thailand. 

The prize for best packaging went to Texas "luxury" water bottler Lumen. So who has the world's best tasting tap water?
At the end of a tough day of sipping, the town of Emporia, Kansas, was awarded the top prize for its municipal H2O.  

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:17 am

Well done Emporia!

Sit back and play board games etc, that's exactly what we did and at night with the gas lights told ghost stories lol

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:10 am

Here in Birmingham we get our water from the Welsh hills via a hundred miles,[ approx.] of pipe line. Congrats to the old Victorians who built it.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:07 am

nicko wrote:Here in Birmingham we get our water from the Welsh hills via a hundred miles,[  approx.] of pipe line. Congrats to the old Victorians who built it.  
I'd say so...around here the amount of limestone particles, sand and eventual build up of rust in those old lead made pipes will become so filled that there's barely any real true water flow getting through...and then it's picking up that contaminated debris as it's flowing out of your home's faucets. 

And that's why it behooves the local water supply to keep pulling water samples from the farthest reaches of the city or country that they are supplying and not fudging any water sample tests {ie., Flint Michigan and my littler rural berg} Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am

Syl wrote:https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/formby/trails/formby-red-squirrel-walk

This is a nice place to visit,  the  red squirrel sanctuary in Formby. It's also next to a beautiful unspoilt beach...a great day out for all the family.

It is really lovely there.
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:25 am

Didge wrote:lol you randy bugger

Hope it goes through for you Victor
affraid

Didge
Shotguns
Grey Squirrels

NOW, there's a worrying thought !

WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:00 am

yer safe wolfie...its me with the shot gun.... Laughing

unless you are "vermin" or an invasive species???

Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

yah mean like .......Muslims

Sure, I guess there are a good number of cute Muslims ...

But I'm thinking she's a bit posh to be kept to beautify some Britisher's estate Smile
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:11 am

classy ben deffo classy

but some how...doesnt do much for me

I think its the face....something just doesnt "do it" for me....

now ...neck down .is a different story... Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 am

Lord Foul wrote:classy ben deffo classy

but some how...doesnt do much for me

I think its the face....something just doesnt "do it" for me....

now ...neck down .is a different story... Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

There is an old saying, you don't look at the mantelpiece when you are stoking the fire!
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:14 am

Men! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next