Western Australia really over-reacting to shark-related deaths

Go down

Western Australia really over-reacting to shark-related deaths

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:34 am

Following seven fatal shark attacks in the past three years, the government of Western Australia (WA) has proposed a controversial new policy for dealing with sharks that is being called out for being nothing more than a cull that will hurt shark populations and non-target species, without actually doing anything to keep people safe.

Beaches have been patrolled for sharks by air and water, but the cluster of attacks has led to calls for a new approach and the announcement of a baiting and killing initiative for popular beaches.

Starting on January 10, WA fisheries will be targeting great white sharks, tiger sharks and bull sharks who are larger than three meters and will set out 72 baited drum lines in designated zones, in addition to contracting with fishermen to monitor the lines and “humanely” destroy sharks that are found alive by shooting them and discarding their bodies offshore. Any other animals who are caught will be released alive “if possible.”

http://www.care2.com/causes/western-australias-plan-to-protect-people-from-sharks-is-terrible.html

Cody Jinks
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Australia really over-reacting to shark-related deaths

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm

I think it comes down to swimmers Ben, I have seen on telly where a beach in SA was closed due to sharks,yet someone decided to still go for a swim..the guy lost his leg in a shark attack, lucky not his life...

Ignorance is often, but not always the problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beekeeper on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:03 am

Smile   EASY to see at the moment why Western Australia (along with the Northern Territory) will often have the reputation as Oz's "redneck state", isn't it...

WHAT we see there at the moment is some idiot Premier, politicians, the local Mayor for where that last attack was last month, and some of his redneck councillors and business cohorts, ALL calling for a cull of local shark populations, mainly as a "feel good exercise" to make it look like they are doing something..

NEVER mind that the killer shark could be holidaying up in Indonesia or half way to Africa by the time the pollies start their slaughter ~ JUST as long as they can pretend that they are doing something ! about it.   Rolling Eyes 

****************************************************************************************************************

"PEOPLE eat A LOT more sharks than sharks eat people !" 

Sharks kill 4-5 people each year worldide, on average ~ sometimes more, sometimes less ~ with the main four countries affected being South Africa, Australia, the USA and Japan. Where each country has an average of just over 1 death per year, when measured back over the last century-plus.. The rest of the world shares 'less-than-one-death' between them !

IN comparison, people harvest the meat off hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of sharks every year (the main ingredient in fish fingers, fish patties, sea food extender, mixed seafood platters, etc., plus shark is often sol as "flake" in many markets..); PLUS in addition thousands of sharks suffer a long and prolonged death after having fins harvested for the perverse and criminal Chinese "shark fin soup" aphrodisiac market..   Exclamation 

****************************************************************************************************************

pirat 

ALSO INTERESTING is where the sharks breed versus where they attack people..

WHITE POINTERS breed on the East Coast but tend to prefer dining on people in WA, SA and the western part of Victoria; whereas the Bull(River..)sharks, Tiger sharks, and a couple of others are seen to maintain a couple of breeding areas over in WA and SA but like to eat people over East...  Arrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:22 am

It also a Liberal (RW) Premier so of course he is a dickhead  Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad 

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beekeeper on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 am

Smile 

I reckon that Gina Reinhart is a bigger danger to WA than all of their natural wildlife combined...

affraid 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Exactly what I thought -- nothing but a measure that will make dumb people feel better and kill a lot of sharks that very likely would never have bothered anyone.

Cody Jinks
>THE Ben Reilly<

Back to top Go down

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Oh yeah, Rinehart! I'll never forget her words of wisdom: "Furthermore, Africans want to work and its workers are willing to work for less than two dollars a day. Such statistics make me worry for this country's future."

Cody Jinks
>THE Ben Reilly<

Back to top Go down

Post by Beekeeper on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:37 am

No   BIG problem with Gina Reinhart is that she inherited her business and has never had to work a day in her life... JUST look at how fat and ugly she is..

NOT only were her father and his original business partner the two richest men in WA in their day (basically most of that was on paper, based on their leaseholds over the largest single known iron lore deposits in existence..); but the boom in mining over the last couple of decades saw her wealth grow from a couple of billion to over $20 billion to make her the wealthiest Aussie ~ and she was the richest woman on the planet for a couple of years, over 2011/2012, though the contraction in mining wealth saw her slip down a couple of notches, to currently be around #6 or 7 (with the Walton (Walmart) widows perennially filling 4 places on the top 10 rich women between themselves..).

TO allow her to import her $2 a day workers into WA, she has been pushing to have an area around the Kimberleys declared an autonomous region, with no labour or environmental controls and special tax breaks just for mine owners !  TO DATE, no government has seen fit to even give her the time of day, but there's no saying she won't manage to buy a government at some future date..  Suspect

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:48 am

:-:cawg:-: :-:cawg:-: :-:cawg:-: :-:cawg:-: 
......And that is why I came up with all my 'for the good of the many' ideas because here it would just be taking out her  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down