Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3454987/Two-college-students-cause-racism-furore-posing-blacked-selfie-undergoing-facial-treatment.html

OMG....talk about over reacting.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I think we pretty much all agree that the OP raises a rather frivolous situation.  But it has provoked a pretty good discussion from an analytical viewpoint.

Yes we agree on that, and other stuff too.
Thankfully the things we may not agree on are discussed and debated in a civil forthright manner....which the vast majority of people on this forum do without bother....which always makes for interesting debates. Smile


Or in fact you keep using  a falsehood as a copout clause which many are simple not buying

No matter how many times you continually dress it up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

So by that yardstick, all whites are racist?   The Rotherham rapists, who considered those white girls scum and sluts, not even worthy of being part of the human race, were merely prejudiced?

Perhaps, yes.  Sounds a good example.  

But I can't say, because I've never heard of Rotherham, or a rapist associated with it.

(OK, I've just Googled it...it's a town in south Yorkshire.  I've not been there.)

I think all whites, though perhaps not prejudiced, still participate in a culture that is racist.  I, in particular, enjoy participation in a culture that has disadvantaged black people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang

It was Rochdale, not Rotherham.

The main issue was whether or not a blind eye was turned by the authorities for fear of being labelled "racist".

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

I agree that prejudging and racism are two completely different things Quill. We all pre judge to a certain extent...it's human nature, and it's how we get through life. If someone looks like a mad axe murderer we will act accordingly....we have pre judged them solely by the way they look or act.

But Horatio described what to me sounded like racism....as in he had friends who hated Asians. They call them names and look down on them.

That to me IS racism not prejudism,
Could be the difference in your language and our landuage is causing confusion though.

I think that Quill is saying that non-white people can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. It's a common argument I've seen from other Americans.

That's daft though. PEOPLE are racist...and people come in all shapes, colours and sizes.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think that Quill is saying that non-white people can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. It's a common argument I've seen from other Americans.

The reason why you have that impression, is that for a culture to develop an attitude about a certain race, it takes centuries and centuries. Because of the military dominance of the white race over Africans, in particular, we have not seen a historical pattern of racism toward whites.

It is conceivable. We just haven't experienced a culture that has that theme.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think that Quill is saying that non-white people can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. It's a common argument I've seen from other Americans.

That's daft though. PEOPLE are racist...and people come in all shapes, colours and sizes.

This is why I don't want the Americans to export that kind of nonsense to this country. They are basically saying that white people are racist by default.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think that Quill is saying that non-white people can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. It's a common argument I've seen from other Americans.

The reason why you have that impression, is that for a culture to develop an attitude about a certain race, it takes centuries and centuries.  Because of the military dominance of the white race over Africans, in particular, we have not seen a historical pattern of racism toward whites.

It is conceivable.  We just haven't experienced a culture that has that theme.

It's not an impression though is it? You really do think that.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think that Quill is saying that non-white people can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. It's a common argument I've seen from other Americans.

That's daft though. PEOPLE are racist...and people come in all shapes, colours and sizes.

People in societies or cultures are racist. Think in French...certain people are racistesque.

Oxford Dictionary wrote:Definition of -esque in English:
suffix

(Forming adjectives) in the style of; resembling

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Perhaps, yes.  Sounds a good example.  

But I can't say, because I've never heard of Rotherham, or a rapist associated with it.

(OK, I've just Googled it...it's a town in south Yorkshire.  I've not been there.)

I think all whites, though perhaps not prejudiced, still participate in a culture that is racist.  I, in particular, enjoy participation in a culture that has disadvantaged black people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang

It was Rochdale, not Rotherham.

The main issue was whether or not a blind eye was turned by the authorities for fear of being labelled "racist".
Rotherham had their own gangs of Asian groomers.....as did other towns in the North West, also Sheffield, Birmingham, Oxford...the list goes on.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The reason why you have that impression, is that for a culture to develop an attitude about a certain race, it takes centuries and centuries.  Because of the military dominance of the white race over Africans, in particular, we have not seen a historical pattern of racism toward whites.

It is conceivable.  We just haven't experienced a culture that has that theme.

It's not an impression though is it? You really do think that.

I've had no experience with it, so I don't even know what it feels like.

As I say, it's never existed in history. It's just an analytical construct.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's not an impression though is it? You really do think that.

I've had no experience with it, so I don't even know what it feels like.

As I say, it's never existed in history.  It's just an analytical construct.

I mean you really think that non-white people can't be racist, only prejudiced.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think that Quill is saying that non-white people can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. It's a common argument I've seen from other Americans.

That's daft though. PEOPLE are racist...and people come in all shapes, colours and sizes.

This is why I don't want the Americans to export that kind of nonsense to this country. They are basically saying that white people are racist by default.

That's it ina nutshell: because of history we are "racist by default"
So then all Germans must hate all Jews by default?

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang

It was Rochdale, not Rotherham.

The main issue was whether or not a blind eye was turned by the authorities for fear of being labelled "racist".
Rotherham had their own gangs of Asian groomers.....as did other towns in the North West, also Sheffield, Birmingham, Oxford...the list goes on.

OK. I thought the main one was Rochdale, but I don't know really.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes we agree on that, and other stuff too.
Thankfully the things we may not agree on are discussed and debated in a civil forthright manner....which the vast majority of people on this forum do without bother....which always makes for interesting debates. Smile


Or in fact you keep using  a falsehood as a copout clause which many are simple not buying

No matter how many times you continually dress it up

Oh sod off Didge...you are boring.
Like I said you keep repeating the same old insults with no foundation, so actually it's you who are peddling "falsehoods" around....which seems to be the norm for you.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:


Or in fact you keep using  a falsehood as a copout clause which many are simple not buying

No matter how many times you continually dress it up

Oh sod off Didge...you are boring.
Like I said you keep repeating the same old insults with no foundation, so actually it's you who are peddling "falsehoods" around....which seems to be the norm for you.


More inane immature responses proving that in fact it has been yourself and Rags who have been far from being civil to posters.

Again countless points remain unrefuted

And still we see you do your level best to deflect away from answering them

Be a good sport and learn to grow up

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:
Rotherham had their own gangs of Asian groomers.....as did other towns in the North West, also Sheffield, Birmingham, Oxford...the list goes on.

OK. I thought the main one was Rochdale, but I don't know really.

There were loads of threads around last year and the year before detailing these gangs. Rochdale is next door to me so I knew what was happening and what had happened for decades.
It got really depressing reading and writing about it all though.

It did happen in many places and hopefully it's not going on now, though Rochdale has been in the news again because The Times made a headline calling Rochdale the "Sex grooming town" after an Imam was found murdered a few days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/20/times-apologise-rochdale-sex-grooming-town-murder-imam

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I've had no experience with it, so I don't even know what it feels like.

As I say, it's never existed in history.  It's just an analytical construct.

I mean you really think that non-white people can't be racist, only prejudiced.

I've never seen an African or Asian culture that is built upon institutions of prejudice against white people.  As the world has shaped up, historically, the white race has had the advantage technologically and militarily.  That advantage has caused most 'other' race/cultures to be jealous and covetous of white peoples, but not racist (judgmentally superior).

Meh...perhaps the Empire of Japan in the earlier part of last century.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:50 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

This is why I don't want the Americans to export that kind of nonsense to this country. They are basically saying that white people are racist by default.

That's it ina nutshell: because of history we are "racist by default"
So then all Germans must hate all Jews by default?

You could change. I think that's what happened with our fathers and mothers.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:51 pm

Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

OK. I thought the main one was Rochdale, but I don't know really.

There were loads of threads around last year and the year before detailing these gangs. Rochdale is next door to me so I knew what was happening and what had happened for decades.
It got really depressing reading and writing about it all though.

It did happen in many places and hopefully it's not going on now, though Rochdale has been in the news again  because The Times made a headline calling Rochdale the "Sex grooming town" after an Imam was found murdered a few days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/20/times-apologise-rochdale-sex-grooming-town-murder-imam

Yes, it is a bit depressing, and a far cry from "The Rochdale Cowboy".

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:53 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

This is why I don't want the Americans to export that kind of nonsense to this country. They are basically saying that white people are racist by default.

That's it ina nutshell: because of history we are "racist by default"
So then all Germans must hate all Jews by default?

You could change.  I think that's what happened with our fathers and mothers.


You didn't really get the point of my post did you Quill?

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:53 pm

eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

afro

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:53 pm

eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

You say that Eddie...I don't think I agree though.
Everyone prejudges, but I don't think everyone is racist.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:54 pm

eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

Yes. I haven't seen this in my own experience, but I have seen it on certain forums. I think it's mostly black Americans - they're told that white people are racist, so they get defensive straight away and expect it.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:54 pm

eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool


Wrong on so many levels

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

You say that Eddie...I don't think I agree though.
Everyone prejudges, but I don't think everyone is racist.

Oh they are. Just a little. Even if it never has to pop out.

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I mean you really think that non-white people can't be racist, only prejudiced.

I've never seen an African or Asian culture that is built upon institutions of prejudice against white people.  As the world has shaped up, historically, the white race has had the advantage technologically and militarily.  That advantage has caused most 'other' race/cultures to be jealous and covetous of white peoples, but not racist (judgmentally superior).

Meh...perhaps the Empire of Japan in the earlier part of last century.

All I was trying to establish was your fundamental stance re the meaning of "racism" Quill. I think you confirmed that I was correct about it. Laughing

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:56 pm

eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

I think you are trying to obliterate the distinction we have carefully built up.  Perhaps intentionally?

Yes, I've seen black people with prejudices toward whites.  Whites can't jump?  Etc., etc.

Sometime we might have an interesting discussion about what "Zippity-doo-dah" means, out of the Tales of Uncle Remus book.  That whole book refers to prejudices that blacks have developed in response--maybe defense?--to the dominate white culture.


Last edited by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

Yes. I haven't seen this in my own experience, but I have seen it on certain forums. I think it's mostly black Americans - they're told that white people are racist, so they get defensive straight away and expect it.

I have at least three black old school friends who are really like this on Facebook.
Going to boot their arses out soon, it gets on my tits every day.

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:58 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

There were loads of threads around last year and the year before detailing these gangs. Rochdale is next door to me so I knew what was happening and what had happened for decades.
It got really depressing reading and writing about it all though.

It did happen in many places and hopefully it's not going on now, though Rochdale has been in the news again  because The Times made a headline calling Rochdale the "Sex grooming town" after an Imam was found murdered a few days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/20/times-apologise-rochdale-sex-grooming-town-murder-imam

Yes, it is a bit depressing, and a far cry from "The Rochdale Cowboy".

Mike Harding. cheers
Did loads to help the charities the Manchester Taxi drivers used to campaign for....whilst the creep Saville took all the pundits.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes. I haven't seen this in my own experience, but I have seen it on certain forums. I think it's mostly black Americans - they're told that white people are racist, so they get defensive straight away and expect it.

I have at least three black old school friends who are really like this on Facebook.
Going to boot their arses out soon, it gets on my tits every day.

You see, I couldn't be doing with that. If I was friends with a black person, I'd want it to be a normal friendship, not one where I was worrying about saying the "wrong" thing. I like to be friends with people who I have something in common with, not people who have a completely different attitude.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

I think you are trying to obliterate the distinction we have carefully built up.  Perhaps intentionally?

Yes, I've seen black people with prejudices toward whites.  Whites can't jump?  Etc., etc.

Sometime we might have an interesting discussion about what "Zippity-doo-dah" means, out of the Tales of Uncle Remus book.  That whole book refers to prejudices that blacks have developed in response--maybe defense?--to the dominate white culture.

So perhaps they are pre-judging a white man because he's white (and they consider him historically racist and racist by default?) which in turn makes them racist for judging his race?

That's a fact quill

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Stormee wrote:Can someone be proud of being 'called', 'labelled' racist from the mouths of others?
I say YES

They person being called a racist can see themselves as being patriotic, loving there own country when it is going down the pan caused by people calling him racist when he sees them as unpatriotic and worse.

Why should a person who loves his own country be condemned for wanting to preserve it, improve it.

I look upon that, Stromee, as you having built up a defense. When the body can't heal, it builds up a scar.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:00 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

You say that Eddie...I don't think I agree though.
Everyone prejudges, but I don't think everyone is racist.

Oh they are. Just a little. Even if it never has to pop out.
Can you be a 'little bit racist'?

If you think you are ' little bit' superior to someone just because they are from a different country...that makes you racist.

Syl

Posts : 19565
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, it is a bit depressing, and a far cry from "The Rochdale Cowboy".

Mike Harding. cheers
Did loads to help the charities the Manchester Taxi drivers used to campaign for....whilst the creep Saville took all the pundits.

1975 that was. Things seemed more innocent then, especially in Rochdale. Maybe it was just me who was more innocent. Laughing

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Lots of black people have a Chip on their shoulder in regards to white people, which means they're pre-judging white people because they're white hence they are being racist.
And this has been going on for years so now black people have their own history of racism.

Everyone is a little bit racist Cool

I think you are trying to obliterate the distinction we have carefully built up.  Perhaps intentionally?

Yes, I've seen black people with prejudices toward whites.  Whites can't jump?  Etc., etc.

Sometime we might have an interesting discussion about what "Zippity-doo-dah" means, out of the Tales of Uncle Remus book.  That whole book refers to prejudices that blacks have developed in response--maybe defense?--to the dominate white culture.


What I found the poorest reason she gave as to some black people being pissed off, is  Eddie seems to have whitewashed the very fact they are still disadvantaged today over the colour of their skin.
I think any of them has a right to be a tad pissed off when countless others are born into an advantage

I doubt its even being pissed at white people, but a system that is geared up to be based on a white class system.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes. I haven't seen this in my own experience, but I have seen it on certain forums. I think it's mostly black Americans - they're told that white people are racist, so they get defensive straight away and expect it.

I have at least three black old school friends who are really like this on Facebook.
Going to boot their arses out soon, it gets on my tits every day.

You see, I couldn't be doing with that. If I was friends with a black person, I'd want it to be a normal friendship, not one where I was worrying about saying the "wrong" thing. I like to be friends with people who I have something in common with, not people who have a completely different attitude.

Some of the stuff they post, I actually agre with and I support, but sometimes they do what Quill does and say "Oh my God! A white dog just bit me....its racist!!"

And I usually post: No its not, grow up. Not everything white, hates you.


_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I think you are trying to obliterate the distinction we have carefully built up.  Perhaps intentionally?

Yes, I've seen black people with prejudices toward whites.  Whites can't jump?  Etc., etc.

Sometime we might have an interesting discussion about what "Zippity-doo-dah" means, out of the Tales of Uncle Remus book.  That whole book refers to prejudices that blacks have developed in response--maybe defense?--to the dominate white culture.

So perhaps they are pre-judging a white man because he's white (and they consider him historically racist and racist by default?) which in turn makes them racist for judging his race?

That's a fact quill

No, a culture is racist. They can only be racistesque, or like a racist culture. Individual acts can be prejudiced. That is the better term for it.

But this is all about semantics. My point is that without a host of institutions, developed over centuries, or that is to say, over history, something is not racist.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:04 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You see, I couldn't be doing with that. If I was friends with a black person, I'd want it to be a normal friendship, not one where I was worrying about saying the "wrong" thing. I like to be friends with people who I have something in common with, not people who have a completely different attitude.

Some of the stuff they post, I actually agre with and I support, but sometimes they do what Quill does and say "Oh my God! A white dog just bit me....its racist!!"

And I usually post: No its not, grow up. Not everything white, hates you.



Why is it Eddie, when again some of you lack an understanding you lay false charges on posters, with the intent to devalue their opinion.

That is completely poor to do

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:06 pm

eddie wrote:Quill does and say "Oh my God! A white dog just bit me....its racist!!"


You're being silly and belligerent now, eds. Where is the centuries of history in a white dog?

And you know it. You're responding with attitude. Get back to the intellectual discussion.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 29743
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Quill does and say "Oh my God! A white dog just bit me....its racist!!"


You're being silly and belligerent now, eds.  Where is the centuries of history in a white dog?

And you know it.  You're responding with attitude.  Get back to the intellectual discussion.

She was talking to me actually, and it was a good conversation.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:


You're being silly and belligerent now, eds.  Where is the centuries of history in a white dog?

And you know it.  You're responding with attitude.  Get back to the intellectual discussion.

She was talking to me actually, and it was a good conversation.


By demeaning Quill based off a falsified claim?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:09 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You see, I couldn't be doing with that. If I was friends with a black person, I'd want it to be a normal friendship, not one where I was worrying about saying the "wrong" thing. I like to be friends with people who I have something in common with, not people who have a completely different attitude.

Some of the stuff they post, I actually agre with and I support, but sometimes they do what Quill does and say "Oh my God! A white dog just bit me....its racist!!"

And I usually post: No its not, grow up. Not everything white, hates you.


I presume that would be a joke, and it's OK if it's just once or twice. If they kept on and on though, it would get on my nerves.

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33746
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Copout again

Look as flattering as it is to talk about me, that has no relevance to the debate

All you and Rags are doing is infantile, posting between each other in the hope others will get bored and drop out, as you both know you have no valid points here

The most telling and ill conceived point you just made and yet again you are another poster guilty of this, trying to downplay racism claiming incorrectly its only something from the past.

I suggest you learn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface#United_States

T

I have come to realise that you don't actually respond to what people post (unless they agree with you) ....I said the other night you are on repeat rewind, translate that to mean you answer a person not on what they actually say but on what you want to hear so you can insult and deride them....and you don't budge from that stance...just grind away...on and on.

Throughout this thread I have addressed racism, the different way people perceive it, and the way this thread has developed from the two points of view.....mainly those who see the OP being connected with racism and those who see two kids laughing at their funny face masks which just happen to be black.

You don't read those posts though...in fact you get confused as to who is posting them, (Rags wrote a post earlier and you replied to me) what you do excel at is blowing your own trumpet as if everything you say is right and everyone else is wrong.....you need a reality check.

Give that woman a cigar!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9618
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Quill does and say "Oh my God! A white dog just bit me....its racist!!"


You're being silly and belligerent now, eds.  Where is the centuries of history in a white dog?

And you know it.  You're responding with attitude.  Get back to the intellectual discussion.

I call it "humorous" Razz

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:


You're being silly and belligerent now, eds.  Where is the centuries of history in a white dog?

And you know it.  You're responding with attitude.  Get back to the intellectual discussion.

She was talking to me actually, and it was a good conversation.


By demeaning Quill based off a falsified claim?

It was funny. Don't be so sensitive and precious didge.

_________________
Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system. ~ Ricky Gervais
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39259
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

So by that yardstick, all whites are racist?   The Rotherham rapists, who considered those white girls scum and sluts, not even worthy of being part of the human race, were merely prejudiced?

Perhaps, yes.  Sounds a good example.  

But I can't say, because I've never heard of Rotherham, or a rapist associated with it.

(OK, I've just Googled it...it's a town in south Yorkshire.  I've not been there.)

I think all whites, though perhaps not prejudiced, still participate in a culture that is racist.  I, in particular, enjoy participation in a culture that has disadvantaged black people.

I think the majority of white people abhor racism, I know I do.    We can only imagine what it's like, until we get a taster for ourselves, like those poor girls in Rotherham.   To be gang raped by a group of Asian men because you're white, which is basically what happened. And because the UK is overly PC, nobody dared step in to stop it for fear of being labelled 'racist' or rocking the multicultural boat.  Therefore it went on for years. 1,400 girls.  300 men.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9618
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Perhaps, yes.  Sounds a good example.  

But I can't say, because I've never heard of Rotherham, or a rapist associated with it.

(OK, I've just Googled it...it's a town in south Yorkshire.  I've not been there.)

I think all whites, though perhaps not prejudiced, still participate in a culture that is racist.  I, in particular, enjoy participation in a culture that has disadvantaged black people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang

It was Rochdale, not Rotherham.

The main issue was whether or not a blind eye was turned by the authorities for fear of being labelled "racist".

It was Rotherham, at least the one I'm referring to. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11059138/Rotherham-In-the-face-of-such-evil-who-is-the-racist-now.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9618
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 8 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh sod off Didge...you are boring.
Like I said you keep repeating the same old insults with no foundation, so actually it's you who are peddling "falsehoods" around....which seems to be the norm for you.


More inane immature responses proving that in fact it has been yourself and Rags who have been far from being civil to posters.

Again countless points remain unrefuted

And still we see you do your level best to deflect away from answering them

Be a good sport and learn to grow up

Cracked record............
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9618
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum