Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by sassy on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 pm

A recent feature on Israeli television attempted to cast Jewish-American BDS and anti-occupation activists as self-hating Jews. As anti-Semites. How dare you!



A reporter from Israel’s Channel 2, Danny Kushmaro, recently visited Boston on a mission to find American Jews who support BDS and actively oppose Israel’s occupation. One of the key interviews in his resulting item was with Alice Rothschild. In the interview, in lieu of asking questions, he made accusations with statements such as: “You want to boycott me, as a citizen of Israel, and boycott my country.”

“This is coming out of a desire to move the process forward to a more just solution,” Rothschild responded. “I don’t have anything against you, and I don’t have anything against your country—”
“But you’re boycotting me,” Kushmaro retorted.
“I am not boycotting you—”
“And you don’t boycott other countries, just Israel,” he went on.
“I feel that Israel has lost its way. And it really pains me—”
“And you tell us what is the way? What is the right way?”
“I’m not telling you—”
“You, from convenient Boston? Will tell us what is the right way?”
“I am responsible, because I am funding the occupation,” she explained.

Exposing the Failed Logic


In the segment, which aired on Channel 2′s popular Friday evening show last week, Kushmaro touched upon all four logical pillars — convoluted as they are — often used to attack diaspora Jews who boycott Israel (like Rothschild). The same arguments are also commonly used against those who actively oppose the occupation and find nonviolent protests like BDS to be wholly legitimate (like myself).

Kushmaro has done us a service, by providing the opportunity to expose and undermine them in a single setting.

1) You, from convenient Boston? — The ‘you have no right’ argument


Kushmaro bristles that Rothschild would dare oppose Israel by supporting BDS, suggesting that she has no right to tell Israel what to do. However, as Haggai Matar notes in his brilliant takedown, Kushmaro doesn’t really believe she has no right. Indeed, he and other so-called ‘pro-Israel’ Jews have no problem with AIPAC or right-wing billionaires dictating what Israel should or should not do, no matter how destructive their directives. Kushmaro opposes Rothschild’s politics, not her right to express or actualize them.

And for good reason. The State of Israel, in the country’s Declaration of Independence, implored all diaspora Jews to invest in Israel, to help make it a country “based on freedom, justice and peace” for all its inhabitants:
WE APPEAL to the Jewish people throughout the Diaspora to rally round the Jews of Eretz-Israel in the tasks of immigration and upbuilding and to stand by them in the great struggle for the realization of the age-old dream – the redemption of Israel.
This direct appeal to me, as a diaspora Jew, grants me the ‘right’ to invest in Israel’s redemption by opposing the occupation. It grants me the right to boldly claim I own Israel, just as it grants BDS activists like Rothschild the right to oppose an oppressive country. As I will argue below, that does not mean I am inherently part of the project of Israel just by being Jewish – only if I claim this right.


2) You don’t boycott other countries? — The double-standard attack


Kushmaro sought out Rothschild because he believes that she, as an American Jew, has a responsibility to support Israel (in the way he considers correct). However, when she expresses that investment by opposing Israeli policies, he pulls out the double-standard canard: Wait, why are you targeting just Israel?


Here’s the thing: that’s how activism works. As I’ve written previously, activism demands selectivity, which is why the double-standard attack holds absolutely no meaning. See, anyone who chooses to focus upon a cause by definition will be neglecting others. Rothschild—along with almost all American Jewish activists who critique Israel—have chosen their cause because they feel a responsibility to do so. As Jews.

Remarkably, it’s the same responsibility Kushmaro believes they have—to be focused on Israel—which is why he sought to interview them in the first place.

3) Conflating Israel and the Jewish people


The fact that Kushmaro’s segment for Channel 2 even exists is because he conflates Israel with all Jews, believing they are all inextricably bound up with the country as members of the Jewish people, and thus should support it (albeit only in state-sanctioned ways).  Netanyahu routinely employs this conflation, saying he represents the “entire Jewish people” as a way to cast political criticism as anti-Semitic. But automatic conflation between Israel and Jews is a vile and dangerous anti-Semitic trope.

Israel and Judaism are not the same, nor are diaspora Jews inherently a part of Israel—a political state. Despite the country’s appeal at its founding, many American Jews have chosen to reject that appeal since Israel’s birth, and that too is their right. Indeed, large swaths of American Jews today have chosen to distance themselves from Israel, and many could care less about the country, due in large part to the very policies I and other Jewish activists oppose.
Why does Kushmaro seek out American Jews, and not Palestinians or Presbyterians as well, when looking to interview BDS activists? Because he believes American Jews are inherently, as part of global Jewry, a part of Israel – even if they choose not to be.

4) Those self-hating anti-Semites


Kushmaro couches his entire segment within a profile of growing anti-Semitism on university campuses in America. However, as Matar rightly asked: “What does anti-Semitism have to do with educated, articulate, and knowledgeable American Jews (some of whom even lived in Israel) who support the boycott?”

Nothing, of course.

Though Kushmaro’s intention is clear: to cast BDS activists and opponents of the occupation who find nonviolent protest to be wholly legitimate as self-hating Jews. As anti-Semites.

Jon Stewart once said, when similar charges were levied against him, “How dare you?

And so I say to Kushmaro, How dare you? Four times over.

http://972mag.com/four-things-every-israeli-needs-to-know-about-jewish-bds-activists/109395/

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17205
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Fuzzy Zack on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Stormee wrote:Which points if any are 'you' trying to make on this one? Sassy

The ones in BOLD
avatar
Fuzzy Zack
The Japanese Lesbian Mermaid

Posts : 4187
Join date : 2014-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:30 pm

She is proving why zack and she are racist low life scum

Nothing above disproves that

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Stormee wrote:Would you be so kind and outline 'your personal stance' on Israelis/Jews?


Sure

They single out Israel and no other nations for boycotts claiming human rights issues, even though Israel has more rights for Arabs than any Arab state in the Middle East.
They do not call for boycotts of any of the actual human rights abusers in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia, the latter where there is real apartheid. They ignore that in fact it is the Arab nations that offer little rights to Palestinians in their countries

That will do for starters

In other words they show double standards and are fueled not by human rights abused by hate of jews and Israelis

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Also the link is about a group of self hating Jews who again shows the worst double standards

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:41 pm

[size=15]This letter is addressed to that small fraction of the political Left which not only criticises Israeli government policies or practices, but also demonises and denigrates Israel at every opportunity and thus denies its legitimacy.


We see you, we hear you, day after day, making your ignorant, bigoted and malicious accusations against Jews and Israel. You claim to be speaking for human rights and for justice, but your words and actions betray you. You are haters, liars and bullies.
You presume to define our Jewish identity to suit your own sensibilities and convenience. You assert that Zionism has nothing to do with Judaism. You say we are only a religious group and deny our 3,500 year old history as both a national and a faith community. In short, you presume to tell us who we are – a liberty you would not dare to take with any other group – and you are wrong.

You say you have nothing against Jews. You say you are only against Zionists. You categorise us into “good Jews” who oppose Israel and “bad Jews” who support Israel. This is your cynical, sinister way of offering acceptance only to those Jews who are so lacking in knowledge or moral fibre that they are willing to embrace your hollow caricature of what it means to be Jewish. You are against the millions of Jews, the overwhelming majority, who are proudly Jewish and support Israel’s right to exist as the State of the Jewish people.


You are guilty of ignoring, minimising and obfuscating the antisemitism within your ranks. You claim to be anti-racists but will not condemn the all too obvious anti-Jewish racism which is manifested every day by adherents of the anti-Israel movement – on websites, on social media, at demonstrations, in public lectures, talks and speeches. When this antisemitism is exposed, you go into hysterical denial, accusing those who expose the ugly anti-Jewish racism you have helped to spawn of trying to stifle public criticism of Israel. As if there is any shortage of public criticism of Israel.


When Jews are attacked or murdered in Istanbul, Mumbai, Toulouse, Paris, and elsewhere, you blame the victims – you say “Israel is the cause of antisemitism”. You say “If Israel behaved better, then Jews throughout the world would not be attacked.” 


Yet youwould not dream of blaming the victim for any other form of racism or racially-motivated violence.
When Jews are murdered in Israel, you defend it, excuse it, minimise it and at times condone it. You demonise Israeli Jews. You say they are “occupiers, oppressors”, whether they live in a remote outpost on the West Bank or in Tel Aviv. These Jews, you claim, are“settlers” who steal Arab land. You say all of Israel is Arab land. You cry: “Resist!” You give succour and encouragement to those who murder Jews.


You say
“Israel is illegitimate. Israel must go.”
You say
“the Jewish state has no right to exist.”


The only state in the world you say must be destroyed is the one and only Jewish state. The right you claim for all other peoples, that of national self-determination, you deny to the Jewish people. You call Jewish Israelis “invaders, occupiers, colonialists, and settlers”, even though 80% of them are native born. You call them a “western implant to control the Middle East.” You tell them to “go back” to Poland and Germany – the graveyard of our people. Your true message is abundantly clear.


You talk of indigenous rights, yet deny the fact that the Jewish people, and our Hebrew language, culture and religion, are indigenous to the land of Israel. You ignore the fact that Jews have continuously lived in the land of Israel for 3,500 years. You ignore our national, religious, and cultural origins in, and continuing connections to, the land of Israel. You ignore or belittle Jewish concerns. You ignore the fact that for millennia Jews were ostracised and oppressed, persecuted and massacred, a powerless people, a numerically small people, existing at the whim of popes, caliphs and kings, and the mobs of the host society. You expect us to forget what it is like to be stateless pariahs, an alien nation in the midst of other nations. You demand that we become stateless once again.


You say you are not anti-Jewish, only anti-Israel. Yet the false accusations you make against Israel are the same as those previously made against Jews. You say that Israel and “the Zionists” control the banks, the politicians, the media; that they lust after Palestinian/gentile blood, and are satanic in every way. Within the rubric of “anti-Zionism”, you have repackaged and redistributed every collective, racist lie that was ever told about Jews.


credit: Frontpage Magazine


You call us Nazis. You equate the Jewish Star of David with the Nazi swastika. You equate Zionism with Nazism. You equate Jewish Israel with Nazi Germany. You equate us with the murderers of our people. You lie and demonise. You do not polemicise against us for the sake of the truth. The truth does not interest you. You say these things deliberately in order to re-traumatise us. Knowing that we are still haunted by the genocide perpetrated against our people more than 70 years ago, you implicitly call for another genocide against us by equating us with the perpetrators.


Your words mean:
“as Nazi Germany was destroyed, so too it is morally just to destroy Israel.”
Your words say:
“if the Israelis and Zionists are so evil, then maybe Hitler had good grounds for committing genocide against the Jews.”
Your words say:
“if Hitler had succeeded in wiping out the Jews, then there would be no Israel.”
Your words say:
“in retrospect, Hitler was doing the world a favour.”


The murder of six million Jews in Europe was not enough to satisfy your blind, self-righteous hatred. You are preparing the way for the murder of the six million Jews in Israel. You call for boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel until Israel bends to your demands and self-destructs. You lie when you say that BDS is only about Palestinian rights and justice, knowing full well that the BDS movement aims at eliminating the Jewish state. You do not care about Palestinian Arabs when their fellow Arabs oppress or kill them. Only when you can blame Israel do you speak up. Of all the countries in the world, you only target Israel for boycotts, divestment and destruction.


For you it is an inconvenient truth that Israel is a liberal democracy with equal rights for all, including LGBT people, who are free to live as they choose. You ignore that in neighbouring countries, gays are hung on cranes or thrown off buildings. You ignore that planting trees in Israel is an age old Jewish commitment to reinvigorating the barren land. So, in the depths of your moral and intellectual bankruptcy, you accuse Israel of “pink-washing” and “green-washing”. You twist and distort every good thing about Israel. To you, demonising Israel is more important than gay rights or the environment.


We see you, we hear you, day after day. Your lies about Jews and Israel is a rehash of the false accusations against the Jewish people and Jewish religion in previous centuries. The terminology has changed, but the sentiment, the actions, and the venom, remain the same. You come from the same mould as the Pharoahs, Crusaders, Inquisitors, Almohads, communists, fascists, Nazis, and Islamists. You are the contemporary standard-bearers of a long historical line of prejudice, envy and hate. Hang your heads in shame.
 

[size=18]Julie Nathan is the Research Officer for the Executive Council of Australian Jewry.



http://jewsdownunder.com/2016/02/10/open-letter-to-the-anti-israel-left/[/size][/size]

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:45 pm


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:46 pm


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:46 pm


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:47 pm


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by sassy on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:50 pm

This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


This post was made by Didge who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.


Spam?

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17205
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Clear not on ignore as she just posted lol


You see its easy to expose racist scum

And she has the cheek to excuse Storme, when she is a left wing regressive terrorist supporting scum

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Fuzzy Zack on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Didge wrote:
Stormee wrote:Would you be so kind and outline 'your personal stance' on Israelis/Jews?


Sure

They single out Israel and no other nations for boycotts claiming human rights issues, even though Israel has more rights for Arabs than any Arab state in the Middle East.
They do not call for boycotts of any of the actual human rights abusers in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia, the latter where there is real apartheid. They ignore that in fact it is the Arab nations that offer little rights to Palestinians in their countries

That will do for starters

In other words they show double standards and are fueled not by human rights abused by hate of jews and Israelis

This is why you and other Zionists cannot convince anybody that BDS is racist. Your argument is based on the fallacy that just becuase they think Israel is violating human rights that they don't believe other countries are violating them either. D'UH!

You really need to grow up if that's what you really believe.

Many Jews support BDS. So the sheer stupidity of your fallacy is exposed from the start.

Who lifted the sanctions from Iran?

What is the best way to sanction Saudi Arabia? Oil!
avatar
Fuzzy Zack
The Japanese Lesbian Mermaid

Posts : 4187
Join date : 2014-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Stormee wrote:
Didge wrote:


Sure

They single out Israel and no other nations for boycotts claiming human rights issues, even though Israel has more rights for Arabs than any Arab state in the Middle East.
They do not call for boycotts of any of the actual human rights abusers in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia, the latter where there is real apartheid. They ignore that in fact it is the Arab nations that offer little rights to Palestinians in their countries

That will do for starters

In other words they show double standards and are fueled not by human rights abused by hate of jews and Israelis

I have read and appreciate your answer Didge but my intention was to ask Sassy the question as I was a bit mixed up on her views as she berates, attacks me, accuses me of something she appears to be doing herself.
Correct me if I am wrong, Thank you.


She is too gutless to answer storme

As to zack, just ask him if he supports a two state solution which means an Israel nation to find out his hate of Jews

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Didge wrote:


Sure

They single out Israel and no other nations for boycotts claiming human rights issues, even though Israel has more rights for Arabs than any Arab state in the Middle East.
They do not call for boycotts of any of the actual human rights abusers in the likes of Iran and Saudi Arabia, the latter where there is real apartheid. They ignore that in fact it is the Arab nations that offer little rights to Palestinians in their countries

That will do for starters

In other words they show double standards and are fueled not by human rights abused by hate of jews and Israelis

This is why you and other Zionists cannot convince anybody that BDS is racist. Your argument is based on the fallacy that just becuase they think Israel is violating human rights that they don't believe other countries are violating them either. D'UH!

You really need to grow up if that's what you really believe.

Many Jews support BDS. So the sheer stupidity of your fallacy is exposed from the start.

Who lifted the sanctions from Iran?

What is the best way to sanction Saudi Arabia? Oil!


Do you support a two state solution?

This will easily prove your antisemitism.

Hardly any jews support BDS and of those who do wish to see Israel destroyed and their views are fueled by left wing regression

Sanctions are different to a boycott and again I believe only in targeting individuals or corporations, not a nation as that is racist


So its not a fallacy and your hatred is born from Islam which teaches to hate Jews, hence why antisemitism is rife in the Muslim world

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Four things every Israeli needs to know about Jewish BDS activists

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 pm





0:00 TO 4:26: INTRODUCTIONS


Tim Altier, Roc4Israel’s co-founder, offers some brief introductions.


4:27 TO 12:14: OVERVIEW OF ANTI-SEMITISM IN EUROPE AND THE U.S.


I discuss the global resurgence of anti-Semitism, with a particular focus on Europe. Rising anti-Semitism in Western Europe is driving record-high Jewish immigration to Israel. In the United States, I point out that while overall hate crime is on the decline, anti-Jewish ones still make up the bulk of religious-bias crimes in America. In this part of the video, I also note the dramatic rise in anti-Semitism on America’s college and university campuses. I alert the audience to the fact that at schools where there are active BDS campaigns, we are also seeing Jewish students being physically and verbally assaulted, vilified on social media, intimidated into silence, and discriminated against.


12:15 TO 22:52: DEFINING ANTI-SEMITISM AS IT RELATES TO ISRAEL


Drawing on the work of Ira Forman, the U.S. State Department’s special envoy to monitor and combat anti-Semitism, and Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, Great Britain’s former chief rabbi, I define contemporary anti-Semitism as the denial to Jews as a distinctive people the right to self-government in the land of their origins. What’s central to this “new anti-Semitism” is that instead of being hated for their religion or for their race, as they were for millennia, today Jews are vilified for their nation state. In this part of the talk, I also point out how today’s assault on Jews is increasingly couched in the language of human rights. Israel—the homeland of the Jews—stands accused of cardinal sins against human justice, including apartheid, ethnic cleansing, and attempted genocide. It’s a systematic falsification. The accusations are tendentious, disproportionate, and often made in bad faith. Still, even the most intemperate critical statements of Israel’s government or its society are not necessarily anti-Semitic. Critics of Israel who use the F-word incessantly to curse Israel are certainly poor writers. But as I argue in the lecture, they’re only anti-Semites if along with the profanity they also make a mendacious argument—employing falsehoods to delegitimize and demonize Israel, and to reject its right to exist. Thus, criticism of Israel morphs into anti-Semitism not merely when it’s uncivil, but when it expresses an utter hostility to Jewish peoplehood or when it projects the negative stereotype of the Jew (e.g., sinister, clannish, disloyal, traitorous, rootless, parasitic, cunning, money-grubbing, and power-grabbing) onto the Jewish-majority state.



22:53 TO 26:16: MANIFESTATIONS OF ANTI-SEMITISM: THE MODERN DAY VERSION OF THE BLOOD LIBEL


In this section of the video I offer an overview of one of the most ubiquitous anti-Semitic canards: the claim that Israel’s leaders, aided and abetted by its citizen-army, are purposefully executing innocent men and women, and perpetrating acts of infanticide. As documented in several recent LI posts (see here and here), I also alert the audience to the so-called Jewish Voice for Peace’s frequent promotion of, and co-sponsorship with, notorious proponents of this blood libel, such as Alison Weir and her organization, If Americans Knew. 
Judging by the many audible astonished gasps from the audience when presenting this part of my lecture, it was obvious that much of this information was not very well-known.


26:17 TO 28:48: MANIFESTATIONS OF ANTI-SEMITISM: PARALLEL IMAGES OF NAZIS AND ISRAELIS


In this part of the video, I present another prevalent manifestation of anti-Semitism today—the equation of Israel with the Nazi state.  I also briefly discuss the concept of Holocaust inversion.
With it, rather than denying that the Holocaust happened, rhetoric and imagery associated with the it is adopted to cast Israelis as the new Nazis—and Palestinians as the new Jews. 
Today, there is an enormous amount of material circulating in print and social media with these memes.

28:48 TO 30:21: THE BDS MISSION AS AN ASSAULT ON JEWISH IDENTITY


Here, I present the argument that anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism. That is, denying Israel’s right to exist as a Jewish homeland represents an anti-Semitic stance.
As I note in the talk, it’s a claim expressed by both the Pope and President Obama.
It’s also stated eloquently in a moving op-ed by Judea Pearl, Professor of Computer Science at UCLA and President of the Daniel Pearl Foundation:

As a Jew, I am one with my people through the bonds of common history. Israel, the culmination of that history, is the central symbol of our identity as a people. You will not be curtailing anyone’s right to free speech by recognizing ‘the denial of a Jewish homeland’ as an unacceptable topic for public discourse on campus, no less unacceptable than ‘the denial of human rights to Blacks, women, or Arabs’. Rather, you will be merely affirming the right of the Jewish people to a homeland—which is what Zionism is all about—no more, no less”.




30:22 TO 35:04: THE ‘PUSH BACK’: CRITIQUES BY BDS SUPPORTERS


In this section of the video, I draw on the work of Judith Butler, one of the doyennes of the BDS anti-Israel movement, who has written and spoken ardently in its support.
In the talk, I present this quote from a rejoinder that Butler made to then President of Harvard University Lawrence Summers, a long-time critic of BDS:

The Jewish population of the world does not conceive of itself as one with the Israeli state… there is no “full and seamless identification of the Jewish people with the state of Israel…Israel is not what keeps the Jewish people alive and not all Jewish people have their sense of perpetuity invested in the state of Israel…The argument that all Jews have a heartfelt investment in the state of Israel is simply untrue…it will not do to equate Jews with Zionists or, indeed, Jewishness with Zionism”.

So basically BDS activists like Butler want to tell us what our Judaism is all about. 
As I mentioned in the lecture, no one would dream of telling Christians that their religion has nothing to do with Jesus. Yet BDS advocates think it’s perfectly fine to tell Jews that their religion (Judaism) really has nothing to do with being part of a nation (Zion).
As Evelyn Gordon quips in a recent op-ed with a great title (“Denying Jews the Right to Define Judaism is Anti-Semitism”), “neither the Bible nor 4,000 years of Jewish tradition recognizes any such divide”.

35:05 TO 40:00: TO BE PRO-ISRAEL, YOU NEED TO DO STUFF THAT IS PRO-ISRAEL


In this segment of the video I suggest that while there’s plenty of room in the pro-Israel movement for “anti-occupation progressives”, organizations on the left actually have to speak out and act on behalf of Israel to earn a pro-Israel designation. Here I draw on the work of Joshua Muravchik, a fellow at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies. I had the pleasure of meeting him and talking about this issue in Washington DC last month. In his masterful new book, Muravchik meticulously documents how the self-identified group J Street is in fact nothing of the sort because “all its work seems to be in the opposite direction”. J Street’s activism on both the campus and in the community (see, for example, the posts by blogger Elder of Zion here and here) suggest that while it once might have been a left-of-center pro-Zionist/pro-peace organization, today it has strayed far from this original mission.
In Rochester, I invited the audience—many of whom I was told were devoted J Street fans—to research this issue further, and to raise their concerns.


40:01 TO 45:18: ORIGINS AND CRITIQUES OF THE BDS MOVEMENT


In this section of my lecture, I note that while BDS activists often describe themselves as peace activists, they in fact spurn cooperation with the Israeli peace movement and condone and even applaud violence against Jews.
This becomes understandable only by acknowledging that the call for boycotting Israel, as we noted in a recent LI post, originated at the notorious anti-Semitic United Nations conference held in Durban in 2001, just days before 9/11—a meeting so full of Jew-hatred that the U.S. delegation walked out. The BDS mission statement hasn’t wavered since then and still calls for the dismantlement of the Jewish state. Basically, as suggested by the BDS leadership on numerous occasions, the movement wants to sanction Israeli companies and universities until Israel agrees to implode.




In the remainder of this section of the video, I review the central criticisms of BDS: its targeting of only Israel for censure; its astonishingly condescending and patronizing stance toward Arabs; and the fact that it hasn’t delivered a single tangible benefit for Palestinians, the people that it claims to care so much about.


45:19 TO 50:53: INTERSECTIONALITY: BDS IN AMERICA’S CHURCHES AND COLLEGES


In this section of the video, I briefly note the inroads that BDS has made in America’s progressive churches, a topic that I have written about in a recent LI post. I then move to discussing BDS activism on the American campus.
Worth noting is the extraordinary lack of data contained within the pro-BDS petitions currently circulating professional academic organizations, such as the one up for review currently at the American Anthropological Association (AAA).
What evidence there is in these documents is typically unsourced, or the citations reference highly dubious outlets. In the lecture, I highlight some of the many erroneous claims in the AAA document which is now up for membership vote.
I also offer an example closer to home: a petition now circulating at the City University of NY (CUNY) which calls for the university to divest from the private prison system, but bizarrely tacks on at the end this clause:

we also demand divestment from Israeli companies as well as divestment from organizations that fund the existence of apartheid Israel”.

No other country. Just Israel.

It’s something we’re seeing a lot on campuses these days—the attempt to hijack other unrelated causes, often very worthy ones, by interjecting anti-Israel messaging. It’s called ‘intersectionality’.
Basically it’s the insane idea that if you’re opposed to homophobia, or concerned about fossil fuels, or worried about sexual violence, or upset about what happened in Ferguson—then you must also view Israel as an oppressive, racist, colonial, apartheid state.


50:54 TO 56: 16: THE CAMPUS ‘DOUBLE STANDARD’


Today, in campus environments where even the slightest “micro-aggression” that offends any minority group is immediately deplored, the toleration of both micro and macro aggressions visited upon Jewish students, faculty, and staff often goes unnoticed.

I discuss this troubling double standard at the end of my talk.
What it means is that vehemently anti-Israel faculty who often cross the line from legitimate criticism of Israel into blatant anti-Semitism are able to work unimpeded and unhindered (and may even be feted and given awards at professional conferences). At the same time, pro-Israel academics who take a stand against anti-Israel bias (or who may write one or two intemperate FaceBook posts about Hamas and Palestinian violence against Israelis) are raked over the coals, vilified as racists by students, faculty and administrators alike, and hounded to such an extent that they have to either sue or take a leave of absence. My audience last week probably thought I was kidding. But it’s no joke. I invited them to investigate what recently happened to Connecticut College Professor Andrew Pessin.


56:17 TO 58:45: CONCLUSIONS


To conclude my lecture, I reminded the audience that in the U.S., no matter how much we don’t like it, hate speech is free speech. The obligation of government, and university faculty and administrators too, is not to censor even the most controversial speech.
But no one is morally obligated to sit silently when Jewish identity is disrespected and negatively labeled.
In this portion of the video, I note that—just like with any country—there are legitimate criticisms of Israeli policies, and innumerable legitimate ways that those criticisms can be aired. But the wholesale boycott of Israel’s entire system of higher education isn’t one of them.
Simply put, a university cannot accept any moral legitimacy of a boycott of Israel, or equivocate in denouncing it.
My final point is this: while BDS masquerades as a human rights movement, and has managed to convince many people motivated by genuine humanitarian concerns, it is essentially a “domestic form of anti-Semitism”.

As noted recently in an important op-ed by Ben Cohen in JNS, Israel is the ostensible target of the BDS movement, but first in the firing line are diaspora Jews:

[BDS] attacks local Jews through the demonizing of the Jewish state…Quarantining Israel in order to eliminate it may be the stated goal of BDS, but its immediate and often only impact is upon those Jews in the vicinity of the movement’s propaganda activities”.



ttp://legalinsurrection.com/2016/01/when-does-anti-israel-become-anti-semitic/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum