Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Californian scientists have identified the source of the sigh. It is not just a response to sadness, depression or despair: it is, also, they report, a life-sustaining reflex that helps preserve lung function.

And a control system in the brain keeps humans sighing about a dozen times an hour, even when they aren’t thinking about the future of the NHS, the European referendum or the latest pronouncements of Donald Trump.

Researchers report in Nature that two tiny clusters of nerve cells in the brain’s stem – the region that, unbidden, automatically takes charge of breathing, sleeping and heart rate – orchestrate the sigh. They do this in a response to an unconscious command to reinflate as necessary the myriad tiny sacs in the lungs called alveoli, which control the body’s traffic in oxygen and carbon dioxide, and which sometimes collapse.

“Unlike a pacemaker that regulates only how fast we breathe, the brain’s breathing centre also controls the type of breath we take,” said Mark Krasnow, a biochemist at the Stanford University School of Medicine, and one of the authors.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/feb/08/a-sighs-not-just-a-sigh-its-a-fundamental-life-sustaining-reflex

Crazy to think some people view sighing as rude ...

- Turnpike Troubadors
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sighing isn't a sign of boredom -- it's crucial to human health

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 pm

I do a lot of that...especially whilst on here.....generally the sort related to despair Rolling Eyes

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I think sighing is more a sign of irritation than anything else.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I do a lot of that...especially whilst on here.....generally the sort related to despair Rolling Eyes

Ditto!   Like - not another idiot, give me strength, why am I doing this lol

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think sighing is more a sign of irritation than anything else.

So do I.
I think this report is all bollocks Razz

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 pm

I thought a nice deep sigh was a way of getting more air your lungs, you can't do a good sigh unless you take in a good lung full of air first.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top