Artificial intelligence breakthrough as algorithm defeats European Go champion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Artificial intelligence breakthrough as algorithm defeats European Go champion

Post by Ben Reilly on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Go is a two-player board game that originated in China more than 2,500 years ago. The rules are simple, but Go is widely considered the most difficult strategy game to master. For artificial intelligence researchers, building an algorithm that could take down a Go world champion represents the holy grail of achievements.

Well, consider the holy grail found. A team of researchers led by Google DeepMind researchers David Silver and Demis Hassabis designed an algorithm, called AlphaGo, which in October 2015 handily defeated back-to-back-to-back European Go champion Fan Hui five games to zero. And as a side note, AlphaGo won 494 out of 495 games played against existing Go computer programs prior to its match with Hui — AlphaGo even spotted inferior programs four free moves.

“It’s fair to say that this is five to 10 years ahead of what people were expecting, even experts in the field,” Hassabis said in a news conference Tuesday.

Deep Blue took humans to the woodshed in chess. IBM’s Watson raked in winnings in Jeopardy! Silver and Hassabis in 2015 unveiled an algorithm that taught itself to conquer classic Atari games. Every year, it seems, humanity waves fewer and fewer title belts over computers in the world of games.

In March, 32-year-old Lee Sodol — the greatest Go player of the decade — will represent mankind in a Kasparov-like battle of wits against AlphaGo in Seoul, South Korea. Should Sodol fall, consider Go yet another game flesh and blood has relinquished mastery to silicon.

But there’s one prize that computers will struggle to take — for a while, at least — from humans: a World Series of Poker bracelet. Ten-player, no-limit poker is the final vestige of our recreational supremacy, and the reasons computers struggle to win this game illustrate a big-picture problem that AI researchers are working to solve. AlphaGo was a step in that direction.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2016/01/27/artificial-intelligence-go-game/

Thought Veya would like this Smile

-Maya Angelou
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Artificial intelligence breakthrough as algorithm defeats European Go champion

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:37 pm

it is interesting. And we are increasingly seeing faster advancement in this tech than predicted.

but like it says it has no Autonomy, where I think 'we' will start to change/evolve is when we start synergizing with these basic AIs, basically letting them take care of mathematical and/or 'recollected' facts will our biological brains focuses on interpersonal intelligence and more abstract functions.
basically like another voice in your head but one that actually has correct answers
Wink

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Artificial intelligence breakthrough as algorithm defeats European Go champion

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:48 pm

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:28 am

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:38 am

veya_victaous wrote:

I love Futurama, I'm on my third or fourth run through it Smile

I've been wondering if we won't eventually see these disparate teams of researchers start to collaborate, seems like it would be more effective. I have the feeling we're going to end up finding out that intelligence isn't really this magical thing we like to think of it as ...

-Maya Angelou
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:50 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

I love Futurama, I'm on my third or fourth run through it Smile

I've been wondering if we won't eventually see these disparate teams of researchers start to collaborate, seems like it would be more effective. I have the feeling we're going to end up finding out that intelligence isn't really this magical thing we like to think of it as ...

You just pointed out why Humanity needs to end Copyrights and the artifical restriction they place on human advancement.
the drive to increase effectiveness and effeicency means the last group to ignore/remove copyrights will be the most disadvantaged into the future.

And futurama is awesome.

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 am

i believe that the blueprint for a true artificial intelligence is as we speak in the embryo stage of existences

if you imagine every computer home or otherwise and device connected via a web of interconnected systems very like the synapses in the brain all that is needed is the "consciousness"

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 am

korban dallas wrote:i believe that the blueprint for a true artificial intelligence is as we speak in the embryo stage of existences

if you imagine every computer home or otherwise and device connected via a web of interconnected systems  very like the synapses in the brain all that is needed is the "consciousness"

the 'system' has already begun the brain will be last, the eyes are in place (london was one of the first) we all carry it's ears. Smart cars are on the way, and we hand over control of movement too. All over government is being put into systems, we are already at a point of being able to get rid of human bureaucrats. Children born today are in a database before they are born Neutral

the reason why i think it will be symbiotic is look at people now glued to their phones following their navman, at first we will be it body we will carry it's pieces and we will move it around the world, it will work with us to build itself new tools that will end up leading to new bodies. At which point we become part of it.
I'm not sure we will ever create a full AI but i think we will become a Hybrid Intelligence our own biological augmented with cybernetic, slowly but inevitably, particularly if we leave earth, the biological components will be reduced if we can achieve the function our current biological vessel does with a more versatile and durable synthetic ones than we will be more capable of surviving and spreading to more diverse environments. the raw drivers of all life that we know of.

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top