Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:35 am

An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif. Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable. Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.


http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/atheist-okay-disparage-christians-islam-limits-because-fear


You should read both the article and the comments.
LINK
I could be wrong, but my hunch is that Zuckerman is probably right. Also, I don’t know this for a fact either, but I suspect that the same fear which stifles atheist criticism of Islam also stifles Christian criticism of Islam. Yes, there are atheist and Christian critics of Islam, but it seems very easy to believe that there are less critics than there would have been if Islam did not have the kind of reputation it does.
Speaking only for myself, I’ve written almost nothing about Islam. I know very little about it, don’t come from a Muslim background, and don’t live in a Muslim country. But supposing I were an ex-Muslim living in the United States, I would probably have to think twice before openly criticizing it.
What do you think?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularoutpost/2016/01/12/atheist-scholar-phil-zuckerman-ok-to-criticize-christianity-but-not-islam/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Eilzel on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:16 am

This is certainly true of the mainstream Left sadly. The Guardian for example seems terrified to say anything negative about Islam or Muslims, while promoting secularism against Christianity.

But there are some, those mentioned above like Maher, have no problem laying into Islam regularly; and Dawkins too as well as the late Hitchens. Both LW and both vocally outspoken against Islam.

But I agree many LW writers and voices are pathetic on this to the point of hypocrisy.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:33 am

Maher doesn't have a wife or kids ... yeah, I can understand people fearing speaking out against a religion in which some people feel they should retaliate violently against criticism.

_________________
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

-Maya Angelou
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 22711
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Eilzel on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:46 am

Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 5625
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.



100 percent correct

Its very poor double standards

Its also ignoring countless proplems with inequality

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:23 pm

glad i was not included since i am critical of everyone.

But I strongly oppose the Idea that Islam is more dangerous.
it is more 'primitive' but it is also much weaker.
the only way Islam could 'destroy' secularism is by causing 'knee jerk reactions' by secular goverments that basically amount to abandonment of secular ideals. Something I know some on here seem to support for Europe. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Christians still oppose equality and the religous right of the USA is the greatest threat to western secularism. Simple because they are the most powerful group that is opposed to secular ideals of equality.



All this is a waste of time anyway,
we dont need to fix Islam, or even christians
just need to keep them out of the way

we WILL make a god and shut them ALL up.

in that I have faith... because in technocracy we can trust.

(as long as it doesn't go full terminator but if does we deserved it, it will just make us live by our own rules)

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 15889
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Again showing how far removed Veya is from understanding

It may well have been secularisim that advanced societies but it actually was many Christians that voted for change, which shows how much they have progressed compared to Muslims, because where Muslims have tried to progress Islam in the Muslim world they have been surpressed in the main.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:11 am

Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.

I'm also far more familiar with Christianity than I am with Islam -- you'll note I'm also not vocal against Judaism and other faiths I don't know that well.

_________________
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

-Maya Angelou
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 22711
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:16 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.

I'm also far more familiar with Christianity than I am with Islam -- you'll note I'm also not vocal against Judaism and other faiths I don't know that well.


So your excuise to only riducle and take the piss out of Christianity is a working understanding, even though all 3 Abrahamic  faiths share many of the same prejuediced myths? It should not matter how well you know a religion if you know within all 3 they are prejudiced against women, homosexuals, non-believers, to then be critical of them, but fundementally like me you have no problem taking the mick out of Christianity, but we then seperate where you fail or seem to shy away from other poor faiths like Islam

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.

I'm also far more familiar with Christianity than I am with Islam -- you'll note I'm also not vocal against Judaism and other faiths I don't know that well.


So your excuise to only riducle and take the piss out of Christianity is a working understanding, even though all 3 Abrahamic  faiths share many of the same prejuediced myths? It should not matter how well you know a religion if you know within all 3 they are prejudiced against women, homosexuals, non-believers, to then be critical of them, but fundementally like me you have no problem taking the mick out of Christianity, but we then seperate where you fail or seem to shy away from other poor faiths like Islam

I think that the Quran, like the Bible, has both positive and regressive teachings, and I don't believe in the supernatural so I think both are hocum.

I try to balance that against the basic right to freedom of thought and come down on the side of enforcing just and humane secular laws rather than combatting religions themselves. Nothing good has ever come out of going to war with an entire religion.

_________________
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

-Maya Angelou
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 22711
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:27 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


So your excuise to only riducle and take the piss out of Christianity is a working understanding, even though all 3 Abrahamic  faiths share many of the same prejuediced myths? It should not matter how well you know a religion if you know within all 3 they are prejudiced against women, homosexuals, non-believers, to then be critical of them, but fundementally like me you have no problem taking the mick out of Christianity, but we then seperate where you fail or seem to shy away from other poor faiths like Islam

I think that the Quran, like the Bible, has both positive and regressive teachings, and I don't believe in the supernatural so I think both are hocum.

I try to balance that against the basic right to freedom of thought and come down on the side of enforcing just and humane secular laws rather than combatting religions themselves. Nothing good has ever come out of going to war with an entire religion.


I disagree, because fundementally they are both based on a deity that only offers good to those who do believer, where it is a deity that allows hate and vengence to supercede love itself. How is that in anyway good? It really is a discrminating belief system, benefitting believers, but fundementally hateful to wards those who do not believe to the point they are claimed to suffer eternal torture. How can that be in anway good? There is no real forgiveness, where we as humans have a far greater capacity to forgive. Its up to people what they believe, but to me these Abrahamic faiths are not the best guides for people. Many believers are not a problem as many have progressed with secular views and are more liberal, but the very fact it teaches a them and us attitude opens up a way to dislike and hate people. Where even worse it has absolute morals, which for centuries has caused the suffering of many.
It may bring comfort to people to know there is an afterlife and some stories are inspiring but all that matters little when you take a closer look at how awful the deity is, that it in insecure to need love a conditional love at that

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:35 am

Also I forgot to say nobody is saying we have to go to war with a religion, as there is so many variable beliefs within that one religion, but we certainly have to stand and fight against extreme ideologies as we have before like Nazism. Everybody should be united together against any extreme belief system, of which ISIS is an extreme belief system. We should also champion euality to seek equal rights for those that do not have them, where religion does not allow for this. It does not meaning going to war, but fundemntally challenging those poor perceptions.

This is where you fail Ben, as its only on some faiths like Christianity that you are even vocal on

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by eddie on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.

I'm also far more familiar with Christianity than I am with Islam -- you'll note I'm also not vocal against Judaism and other faiths I don't know that well.

Well if you're not "familiar enough" to criticise, then you're not "familiar enough" to defend either....!

Really Ben, you keep contradicting yourself lately on this issue.

_________________
Unfuck yourself. Be who you were before all that stuff happened that dimmed your fucking shine.
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30936
Join date : 2013-07-29
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by sassy on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:14 am

Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.


I think you will find that I criticise those that say they are Christian and don't follow Christian practices Les.

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17198
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:21 am

sassy wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.


I think you will find that I criticise those that say they are Christian and don't follow Christian practices Les.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by sassy on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:25 am

You can't help yourself can you.  Stick you head up your arse, you might find some brains up there, because there aren't any between your ears.

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17198
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:30 am

sassy wrote:You can't help yourself can you.  Stick you head up your arse, you might find some brains up there, because there aren't any between your ears.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by sassy on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:41 am


_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17198
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:50 am

sassy wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.


I think you will find that I criticise those that say they are Christian and don't follow Christian practices Les.


I will explain why the above is not only poor but absurd, when you also are not critical of other faiths with the same prejudice views.

First a Christian is a Christian, no matter how they practice their faith, being as there is 42,000 denominations. I have made the same mistake before to claim saying they do not follow Christian practices. As that is going off how you yourself view how a faith should be followed. For a start most Christianty is really Pauline Christianity, as his views held sway to form the bible and much of what we see as Christianity today. Though for centuries Christians butchered, slaughtered, raped, enslaved, burned for heresy etc based fundementally on views they viewed as Christian based on the bible. Are you going to also now be an apoplogist and claim they were not Christian? You see its wrong to even claim such a stance, as again the works were decided centuries after Jesus lived to make up the New testament, where there is very little to back up historically the life of Jesus. Clearly because many saysings are found in many of the works, they are viewed with some saying they could very well be some of things Jesus may have said and counted by some scholars as possible true. The historical Jesus is far more difficult to judge and we can only go on the sources. All we can really say is where a Christian may conflict with teachings of Jesus found in the bible, but in no way again can we prove that the teachings are reliable or true. So what you perceive of Christianity maybe different to countless Christians, even more so when the bible constantly conflicts.

Its no good attacking the individual trying to lay claim to something you could never validate. Espcially if they are strong willed in their faith, what is important more so is to point out the many prejudices and conflict within the Christian belief systems itself. As again many Christians follow different views on the faith, just like Muslims do with islam. Hence why it is very important to be critical of the actual belief systems and the deity found with the faiths, espcially as already stated. To also be critical of those who try to back or enforce beliefs that effect the well being and equality of others and in this regard you fail utterly to do so when it comes to Islam and Salafist Muslims who try to enforce their faith onto others. Personal belief is not an issue when not imposed or preached to others, but nobody can prove what they follow is the correct way to follow a faith, as none of them can even prove their God exists. We should always challenge bad beliefs, where for centuries and even today they still effect many people. hence why it has always been absurd for a Christian telling another Christian, that they are not true Christians and the same with Muslims saying the same of other Muslims. Where with the later is why you see little actual challenge to the extremists other than condemnation. You do not see masses fight these extremists which they will claim for example ISIS are doing so not in the name of Islam, but rarely claim they are not Muslims per say. You need to ask yourself why on that point, because it is a big problem in tackling ISIS and other Islamic extremists?



hence why you of all people deseved the sarcastic clap, as it was very apt to your double standards

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:44 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Dawkins and Hitchens have a wife a children. None of them have ever been attacked by extremists. And the fact that is even expressed as a concern is why we should be openly critical of Islam and some Muslims.

In fairness Ben, it happens here too, imho, yourself, Quill and Sass are far more vocal against Christianity than against Islam.

I'm also far more familiar with Christianity than I am with Islam -- you'll note I'm also not vocal against Judaism and other faiths I don't know that well.

Well if you're not "familiar enough" to criticise, then you're not "familiar enough" to defend either....!

Really Ben, you keep contradicting yourself lately on this issue.

I don't defend the idea of Islam, like any other religion, because I think they're full of destructive ideas and they're fiction.

I do defend people's right to freedom of thought and those who don't hurt anyone and thus who don't deserve to be treated differently than any other law-abiding person. In other words, I strongly disagree with their beliefs, I defend their right to believe them, and so long as they aren't committing crimes, I defend their rights.

_________________
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

-Maya Angelou
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 22711
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 am

Didge wrote:Again showing how far removed Veya is from understanding

It may well have been secularisim that advanced societies but it actually was many Christians that voted for change, which shows how much they have progressed compared to Muslims, because where Muslims have tried to progress Islam in the Muslim world they have been surpressed in the main.



Early Scientists and Secularists, men like Galileo, Persisted under the threat of death from the Christians

As I Implied The Normal persons belief is Irrelevant, as long as they don't get in the way

Great men will simply take us forwards, it matters not how much the plebs kick and scream we will just keep moving forward
Science has already been doing this successfully for centuries.
Did Most people believe Darwin? No they didn't
Did that stop humanity using the knowledge of evolution to develop new medicines and treatments?
Now one has to be an idiot to deny evolution since so many of our creations require it to be correct in order to work.
Because Again Great men will just do it, they do not require consensus or approval.

A generation later the plebs can look around and realise/understand
because the truth of the assertion is actively demonstrated in the world by man's creations.
Science has never really convinced people with words, Science convinces people through action, by making the miracle and everyday occurrence that the Pleb can initialise with the push of a button   



Again Didge proving he is just a mindless Pleb  Wink

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 15889
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:33 am

So infantile abuse now when proven to be wrong and also very sexist it seems as well.
Its not any women will bring us forward but only great men.
Again no matter how you look at this and how much Christianity was regressive, it was Christians in many European countries that brought about secular change. I never denied many also tried to stop this, but fundementaly it shows Christians were able to adapat from a previous poor literal stance. So all the other never actually addressed any points.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:35 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well if you're not "familiar enough" to criticise, then you're not "familiar enough" to defend either....!

Really Ben, you keep contradicting yourself lately on this issue.

I don't defend the idea of Islam, like any other religion, because I think they're full of destructive ideas and they're fiction.

I do defend people's right to freedom of thought and those who don't hurt anyone and thus who don't deserve to be treated differently than any other law-abiding person. In other words, I strongly disagree with their beliefs, I defend their right to believe them, and so long as they aren't committing crimes, I defend their rights.


No, you are fundementally a hypocrits Ben on this matter, of which there is no doubt
Nobody has not stated about the right of freedom of thought but for you to be very critical of bad beliefs, as do you not be critical of racism a very bad belief? How about homophobia, another bad belief?
Yet when it comes to the prejudice views in Islam its normally this'
"Oh my goodness, its physically impossible to be critical"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 am

Didge wrote:So infantile abuse now when proven to be wrong and also very sexist it seems as well.
Its not any women will bring us forward but only great men.
Again no matter how you look at this and how much Christianity was regressive, it was Christians in many European countries that brought about secular change. I never denied many also tried to stop this, but fundementaly it shows Christians were able to adapat from a previous poor literal stance. So all the other never actually addressed any points.
Most Prominently the USA and France
And France openly rejected the church for a Period under Napoleon to make it so.

And how weak is your position when you have to imply that the common term 'great men' is sexist.

it is not infantile you clearly are thinking and acting like a pleb. Christian Nation did not work for secular changes they were FORCED to accept them Once they and Science were PROVEN to be more successful.
Just Like In the Future they will be forced to accept not only does there god not exist, but that mankind will have built a real one.

your points are nothing, irrelevance is all you have.
you cannot convince your own side because of the arrogance and hypocrisy of your arguments and think you have a snowball chance in hell of convincing your enemies 

they hate you and will not listen to you regardless of any logic or reason presented.
So stop wasting time and effort. your method has never worked and never will because it is a method devised by a plebeian mind.

if people refuse to advance then whatever, keep advancing your self until they are so obsolete and must choose between joining you or fading further into irrelevance. Like i have said we don't stop making medical advances that require evolutionary theory to be correct in order to debate/convince creationists.. we just keep making more advances that prove evolution to a greater and greater extent.. and every time we do the creationist position get weaker...

why assault the walls of ignorance when they can be undermined through advancement of humanity to the point they fall under their own weight?

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 15889
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 am

Going off set small periods in history is only telling a very small part of the history where again fundementally at the time of Napoleon, people in France were fundemnetally still Christian, which just further backs the point I am making and how the west has progressed under a Christian majority population. You never said great men and women, so anyone would have to rightly challenge such a sexist comment as if women could not rise to the challenge to change society of which actually many women have and very much against religious opposition. By saying as you did you have fundementally ignored where women have changed and progressed society.

The rest again was lots of hot air again failing again to address any points made already, but where fundementally the regressive left do shy away from being critical of bad beliefs like islam, which you are extremely guilty of also. All that has happened mainly in the west is that people have become to see that religion is mainly gibberish, sadly in the Muslim majority world it has always been surpressed much free thinking as it once was in the west also. But and here again is the difference, even people like William Wilberforce who helped bring about an end to Slavery were Christian. Most of his liberal views came from the teachings and views of Jesus. What it shows in the West is that more and more people adopted secular views over that of religious views, whilst in many cases still retaing their religious beliefs, but which had become more releaxed literally.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Ben Reilly on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:20 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well if you're not "familiar enough" to criticise, then you're not "familiar enough" to defend either....!

Really Ben, you keep contradicting yourself lately on this issue.

I don't defend the idea of Islam, like any other religion, because I think they're full of destructive ideas and they're fiction.

I do defend people's right to freedom of thought and those who don't hurt anyone and thus who don't deserve to be treated differently than any other law-abiding person. In other words, I strongly disagree with their beliefs, I defend their right to believe them, and so long as they aren't committing crimes, I defend their rights.


No, you are fundementally a hypocrits Ben on this matter, of which there is no doubt
Nobody has not stated about the right of freedom of thought but for you to be very critical of bad beliefs, as do you not be critical of racism a very bad belief? How about homophobia, another bad belief?
Yet when it comes to the prejudice views in Islam its normally this'
"Oh my goodness, its physically impossible to be critical"

I don't know how many different ways I can say "I don't defend the idea of Islam," or "I strongly disagree with their beliefs."

_________________
"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

-Maya Angelou
avatar
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 22711
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 42
Location : Besa Mi Culo, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:


No, you are fundementally a hypocrits Ben on this matter, of which there is no doubt
Nobody has not stated about the right of freedom of thought but for you to be very critical of bad beliefs, as do you not be critical of racism a very bad belief? How about homophobia, another bad belief?
Yet when it comes to the prejudice views in Islam its normally this'
"Oh my goodness, its physically impossible to be critical"

I don't know how many different ways I can say "I don't defend the idea of Islam," or "I strongly disagree with their beliefs."

Yet are incredible silent on saying so on many topics at hand and even worse often inadvertantly defend Islam, as I know for I used to make some of the same mistakes myself. You do this with all the good intentions in the world because you do not want to be seen to be prejudiced, but the reality is we are prejudiced against bad beliefs, like racism, homophobia etc. That does not mean you cannot respect the right of everyone to have freedom of beliefs, but to be critical of beliefs, which you fundementally shy away from when it comes to islam, because you mistakenly think you are being prejudiced to Muslims, which is a falsehood. I treat people equally based on the laws of equality and no belief deserves any respect or defemse when it effects the well being and equality of others. You sadly confuse and conflate people and beliefs as if they are the same when they are not

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Atheist: 'Okay For Those on The Left to Critique, Mock, Deride Christianity, But Islam Gets a Free Pass'

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:14 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well if you're not "familiar enough" to criticise, then you're not "familiar enough" to defend either....!

Really Ben, you keep contradicting yourself lately on this issue.

I don't defend the idea of Islam, like any other religion, because I think they're full of destructive ideas and they're fiction.

I do defend people's right to freedom of thought and those who don't hurt anyone and thus who don't deserve to be treated differently than any other law-abiding person. In other words, I strongly disagree with their beliefs, I defend their right to believe them, and so long as they aren't committing crimes, I defend their rights.


No, you are fundementally a hypocrits Ben on this matter, of which there is no doubt
Nobody has not stated about the right of freedom of thought but for you to be very critical of bad beliefs, as do you not be critical of racism a very bad belief? How about homophobia, another bad belief?
Yet when it comes to the prejudice views in Islam its normally this'
"Oh my goodness, its physically impossible to be critical"

I don't know how many different ways I can say "I don't defend the idea of Islam," or "I strongly disagree with their beliefs."

It doesn't matter anyway
much like ISIS, Didge is too consumed by hate to use logic and reason.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 15889
Join date : 2013-01-24
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum