USDA's new nutritional guideline slammed as too watered-down by food industry

Go down

USDA's new nutritional guideline slammed as too watered-down by food industry

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:12 pm

New dietary guidelines from the USDA and Department of Health and Human Services are supposed to tell you what to eat. But they are already getting hammered by critics who say they are muddled and confusing, reports CBS News correspondent Anna Werner.

More fruit and vegetables, less sugar and limited saturated fat - those are the key dietary recommendations from the government.

But New York University professor of nutrition Marion Nestle says there's something missing in the message, and that junk food industries should consider these guidelines a win.

"Because there's no direct messaging in the dietary guidelines that says don't eat junk food, don't eat processed food, don't eat meat, don't drink sodas," Professor Nestle said.

The government's dietary guidelines affect everything from food labeling to the national school lunch program, which serves more than 30 million kids every day.

For the first time, the government added recommended limits on sugar, but Professor Nestle said pressure from the food industry has watered down the guidelines.

Instead of saying, 'don't drink soda,' she points out the guidelines say less than 10 percent of calories should come from added sugars.

And instead of 'eat less meat,' they say less than 10 percent of your diet should come from saturated fats.

"The meat industry does not want the American government saying 'eat less meat'. That's un-American!" Nestle said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-dietary-guidelines-usda-department-of-health-and-human-services-face-criticism/

Yet another example of the outsized influence of corporations on American life.

Cody Jinks
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: USDA's new nutritional guideline slammed as too watered-down by food industry

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:40 am

Soda? Oh my God. That is so, so, so, offensive to all people who like sugar! You soeak as though sugar is making people fat when we all know it’s just that they have “big bones”.

Are you serious with this shit?

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: USDA's new nutritional guideline slammed as too watered-down by food industry

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 am

eddie wrote:Soda? Oh my God. That is so, so, so, offensive to all people who like sugar! You soeak as though sugar is making people fat when we all know it’s just that they have “big bones”.

Are you serious with this shit?

Oh no! I didn't mean to do that! I shall immediately make a large donation to the Society for the Protection of the Feelings of the Big-Boned!

After all, I am kind of big-boned myself ...

Cody Jinks
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:38 am

ya mean you got a lardy ass...... Razz

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 am

Look, it's quite simple. Anything you enjoy eating is bad for you. Laughing

Who's going to work out all these percentages anyway?

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down