Funiculars...

Go down

Funiculars...

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:46 pm

I've always been fascinated by them.  They are trolleys that climb up hills, and are slanted so passengers are on level platforms...

This one is in Lisbon.  I've ridden it many times, as it goes from the Baxia to Barrio Alto...where my hotel is.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Funiculars...

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

This one is El Funicular de Montmartre, in Paris.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Budapest...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Funicular, Guanajuato, Mexico.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:59 pm

There are quite a few in Wales  OQ.
This one is in Aberystwyth.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Funicular, in old Quebec City.  Leads from the old city to the Hotel Frontenac, up on the hill.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Syl wrote:There are quite a few in Wales OQ.
This one is in Aberystwyth.

I know. I love them. I'm going to go on a tour of them round the world.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Funicular Railway- Zagreb Croatia.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Plaza Aduana, Valparaiso, Chile.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Funicular, Cerro San Cristóbal.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 am

El funicular de San Sebastián.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:20 am

Flying Dutchman Funicular, at Cape Point. It is believed to be the only commercial funicular of its type in Africa.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:23 am

Railway funicular in Kiev , Ukraine.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:27 am

The Gelmerbahn funicular takes tourists a 6,000 feet above sea level to Lake Gelmer in Bern, Switzerland.  Europe's steepest funicular railway, it has a gradient of 106 per cent - and not a seat-belt in sight.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Here is the Scenic Railway in the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney

Not 100% if it is Funicular the seats are all sloped back even through it is on an angle when you get in but it goes near vertical at some points of the decent so the platforms aren't exactly level. it is quite fun actually part scenic railway part roller coaster

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 pm

I believe it's a Funicular, veya. Especially if the seats tilt back or the floor is raise to accommodate the slope of the terrain.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:08 am

yes they do that

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum