This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Go down

This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm





http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/24/how-a-dad-feels-when-son-asks-for-a-doll-video_n_8032232.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:08 pm

So he's saying the kid is gay because he chose a Barbie?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30959
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:So he's saying the kid is gay because he chose a Barbie?

Did he say that?

Good luck to the kid, he is just a kid who likes a toy, which are very much becoming unisex today, even girls play with action men dolls

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:So he's saying the kid is gay because he chose a Barbie?

Did he say that?

Good luck to the kid, he is just a kid who likes a toy, which are very much becoming unisex today, even girls play with action men dolls

I think he implied it, yes.

Why bother with the video if it's no big deal what the kid chose?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30959
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Did he say that?

Good luck to the kid, he is just a kid who likes a toy, which are very much becoming unisex today, even girls play with action men dolls

I think he implied it, yes.

Why bother with the video if it's no big deal what the kid chose?

Sorry but how subjective is that?
You think he implied, when he never made any such claim.
He said clearly that he would allow them to chose what sexuality they wanted.
That is not implying he is gay.
Also the father is incorrect in that aspect because its not a case of choice what sexuality people are, but his heart and views is still correct to love them no matter what they do or who they are
The video helps with poor sterotypes, now I know you are not one for people expressing how they feel, but it does a wonder of good.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:22 pm

It's just more attention seeking ...

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30959
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's just more attention seeking ...

For all the right reasons.

There is nothing wrong with that as it dispells poor perceptions

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:23 pm

The kid had no idea what it was about - he just sat there screeching.

Waste of time.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30959
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The kid had no idea what it was about - he just sat there screeching.

Waste of time.

Its utterly important to dispell poor perceptions.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Did he say that?

Good luck to the kid, he is just a kid who likes a toy, which are very much becoming unisex today, even girls play with action men dolls

I think he implied it, yes.

Why bother with the video if it's no big deal what the kid chose?

Kid chooses an Ariel doll, Dad tells him he doesn't mind if he grows up gay. Is there any thing these morons don't feel the need to post online?!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 am

http://www.reducingstereotypethreat.org/reduce.html

https://www.coe.int/t/DGHL/STANDARDSETTING/EQUALITY/03themes/gender%20stereotypes%20and%20sexism/Report%202%20NFP%20Conference%20Helsinki%20-%20Education.pdf

http://www.aauw.org/2014/08/13/why-stereotypes-are-bad/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/roots/overview.html





How good is it that no matter how bitter some people are, there are those out there who have got the guts to tackle bad sterotypes. I guess the only idiots are those that bad mouths those who do good.






Also:



Recently, Target announced that they'd be doing away with gender-categorizations in their children's sections. This made a lot of people happy and a lot of people angry. I am torn between being baffled by the anger and totally understanding it. Not because I agree with it (most of the angry people seem to think Target has a nefarious agenda, which: CUCKOO!) but because I get where those people are coming from, at least on one level: human beings love labels. Labels are comforting. Nothing scares us like stuff we don't understand, and labels help us understand things.
My son is white. He is male. He is an American. He may be straight or gay, he may be religious or not, he may be liberal or conservative. But if I have my way, he'll be none of those things.

He'll just be a human being, like everyone else.
Our need for labels and categories starts early. We can hardly let a minute go by without putting someone in a box, whether it's based on race, age, lifestyle or religion.Who my son becomes is far more important to me than what he becomes, or what he already is. I have a dream that the content of his character will outweigh the close-mindedness of his assigned categories. I know the kind of person I want my son to mature into: one that's kind and patient and humble and hard-working and creative and ambitious and honest and brave. One who won't let whatever boxes he checks off on his college application define or limit who he is or who he can interact with. One that will resist the superficial, census-taker's description of a person and won't be afraid to get to know others beyond their demographic designations.

I don't yet know what, or really even who, my son will become.
Will he be a doctor? A musician? Will he be tall? Fat? Will he be a cat person (actually, I know this one)? Will he like bluegrass music?
I know some things I don't want him to be. And I know some things I'll try to prevent him from being. But mostly I don't want him to be limited by pre-conceptions. And I don't want him to limit himself by seeing those same limitations in other people. I don't want to raise him within society's arbitrary categories, because those categories quickly become walls. I'm categorically opposed to categorizing kids. Removing generalizations will allow me to teach my son the value of individuality, in himself and in others. Rather than focus on the broader aspects of his existence, the commonalities that are often used to put him in a box and, ironically, isolate him from other people, I'm going to focus on the specific traits that make him an individual.

So I won't emphasize to my son the fact that he's American. Or white. Or male. I'll raise him to be himself, and to see others as themselves. Not as their categories. This is why I'm good with Target's recent decision to remove gender labels from their aisles. Whether we admit it or not, peer pressure influences kids early, and peer pressure comes in many forms, the strongest of which may well be our so-called societal norms, like gender roles. My own brothers were annoyed when we got Detective Munch a play kitchen, never mind the fact that my son loved it and still loves it. Why should I deprive him of something that makes him so happy just because it's "supposed to be" for girls? Forcing kids into pre-assigned boxes before they even know what boxes are is just stupid. Not to mention exactly the kind of thinking that propagates the intolerance so many of these angry shoppers are currently displaying towards the department store.

Why should kids be told, before they even have an opinion, that pink and long hair are for girls and blue and superheroes are for boys. What do they care? Let them like what they like. The gender-assignations at department stores are for parents, who are worried about Caitlyn and gay marriage and Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm pretty secure in the fact that if my son falls in love with a man or feels uncomfortable in his skin, it won't be because the Frozen bedsheets weren't properly directed at little girls. Society is going to herd them into their respective queues soon enough, why not let them roam unfettered for a while and see where it goes? Contrary to the naysayers belief that it will confuse kids, it seems more likely to me that it will broaden their minds. What good is trying to expose your children to as much of the world as possible if you immediately tell them that more than half of those parts aren't available because of mere biological and demographic circumstance? Resisting the urge to tell my son what he is and what he's allowed to be will hopefully free him to be whatever he wants. And, in turn, will let him see others for whoever they are, as individuals, rather than as the circles they fill in with their number two pencils. Target's new policy isn't going to stop adults from seeing the world they way they do, but it just might help kids see more of it.






http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-julianelle/categorically-opposed-to-gender-categories_b_8000116.html?utm_hp_ref=good-news&ir=Good%20News

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:06 am

@the target one Razz Razz Razz Razz
troll power

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/a-guy-posed-as-a-target-customer-service-rep-on-facebook-to#.kgZrgBJXL







Lol @ people posting target hate to a troll with an account very similar to Target customer service's and getting the replies they deserve



BUT the Op is a bit wrong(trying to be good but sort of failed) why bring up homosexuality at all, it is still suggesting dolls are for girls or gays. Why cant his Straight son want to play with the little mermaid? Neutral it's like the the weirdos that say Football (rugby) is manly and dancing is for poofs.. Pretty sure wanting to roll around in the mud, grabbing and pulling athletic men is more gay than bumping and grinding with half drunk chicks geek

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18393
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:12 am

veya_victaous wrote:@the target one  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz
troll power

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/a-guy-posed-as-a-target-customer-service-rep-on-facebook-to#.kgZrgBJXL







Lol @ people posting target hate to a troll with an account very similar to Target customer service's and getting the replies they deserve



BUT the Op is a bit wrong(trying to be good but sort of failed) why bring up homosexuality at all, it is still suggesting dolls are for girls or gays. Why cant his Straight son want to play with the little mermaid? Neutral  it's like the the weirdos that say Football (rugby) is manly and dancing is for poofs..  Pretty sure wanting to roll around in the mud, grabbing and pulling athletic men is more gay than bumping and grinding with half drunk chicks  geek

I agree the dads views are out of whack but his heart is in the right place in wanting to allow his son to choose what he plays with which is the point and the fact is there is so many sterotypes out there.
What I find incredible is how some people out there are so bitter of others when they express these views.
This is the modern age, but feel they are still living in the stone age.
We have no idea what sexuality the son is and like you say he just wants a doll to play with. The dad made some errors in what he said, like choices which nobody has on their sexuality but his heart was in the right place because clearly he wanted to combat sterotypes, which is the key

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:11 am

veya_victaous wrote:@the target one  Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz
troll power

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoreno/a-guy-posed-as-a-target-customer-service-rep-on-facebook-to#.kgZrgBJXL







Lol @ people posting target hate to a troll with an account very similar to Target customer service's and getting the replies they deserve



BUT the Op is a bit wrong(trying to be good but sort of failed) why bring up homosexuality at all, it is still suggesting dolls are for girls or gays. Why cant his Straight son want to play with the little mermaid? Neutral  it's like the the weirdos that say Football (rugby) is manly and dancing is for poofs..  Pretty sure wanting to roll around in the mud, grabbing and pulling athletic men is more gay than bumping and grinding with half drunk chicks  geek

That Target troll is very funny, some people have no sense of humour. Still think Dad is a berk

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 am

I think people negative of where others try to do positive are plainly not that bright it seems.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 am

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think he implied it, yes.

Why bother with the video if it's no big deal what the kid chose?

Kid chooses an Ariel doll, Dad tells him he doesn't mind if he grows up gay. Is there any thing these morons don't feel the need to post online?!

Apparently not.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30959
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am

Like I say those with negative views failed to see how positivity helps.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:03 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Nems wrote:

Kid chooses an Ariel doll, Dad tells him he doesn't mind if he grows up gay. Is there any thing these morons don't feel the need to post online?!

Apparently not.

Im glad its not just me that finds this need to share inanities with the world pathetic.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:49 am

You are glad to find others are negative and bitter like you Nems to others being positive?
How sad a reality that is.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: This Is How A Dad Feels When His Son Asks For A Doll

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum