Got a new dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got a new dog

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:17 am

He settles in nicely; that photo's from about an hour after I brought him home. Really picked a winner with this little guy -- he's smart, sociable, playful and already pretty territorial.

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Got a new dog

Post by Original Quill on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:25 am

Very kewl. What's his name?

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:25 am

cute
do you know the breed?

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks -- he's half dachshund, half Chihuahua, and he came with the name Dobbie ("doh-be"). Not thrilled with that but at 2 I'm afraid he's stuck with it Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:47 am

Wonderful. He looks a little tense right now, but he'll settle in. Lots of kids and playtime.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:35 am

Original Quill wrote:Wonderful.  He looks a little tense right now, but he'll settle in.  Lots of kids and playtime.  

I don't think he cared for the flash Smile He's really good, I took him to visit the rest of my family tonight and my mom's nine-year-old Boston Terrier was enthralled. She recently lost a friend (my mom's other Boston died about a month ago, the one who didn't have cancer but surely had some bad disease) and tonight was the most fun she's had in quite some time.

My mom lives in a suburb and has a big back yard, so Dobbie will be going over there at least once a week to play with his new friend. I found out Dobbie's been turned over to animal rescue twice in his two years ... that ended today. He's a good, sweet dog and he has a home from now on. I think my mom wants him to come and stay, he kept leaping into her lap all night Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:41 am

The only issue he has is that he's a country dog who isn't used to my neighbors who sometimes talk loudly outdoors after midnight -- he gave off a couple sharp barks that I need to rein in, but he responds well to my "stern" voice ... It'll help as he meets my neighbors and learns their voices, he's a smart dog. And I'm sure he'll learn to fit in with a bunch of people who stay up late and don't wake up before 9 or 10 in the morning Smile

He's also a good traveller and does well in public. Everyone we met today loved him

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:55 am

He is a very handsome fella!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 am

Nems wrote:He is a very handsome fella!

Yes he is Smile I'm very proud of my new guy, he's been making me feel all day like I smacked a home run ...

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:03 am

I even got him a Texas Rangers dog tag Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:15 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I even got him a Texas Rangers dog tag Smile

Aww Im sure he will wear it with pride Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:31 am

He'd better or it's back to the animal shelter Twisted Evil

Nah, he's going to do great. I'd better get him to bed soon, though. He's already out like a light on the very-same chair I took that picture in; I don't think I get to sit there anymore Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Thanks -- he's half dachshund, half Chihuahua, and he came with the name Dobbie ("doh-be"). Not thrilled with that but at 2 I'm afraid he's stuck with it Smile

Not Dobie, after Dobie Gray?

Good name.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:33 am

It's good to have a dog Ben, but does your job involve leaving him on his own for hours?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Don't really know where they got "doby" out of "Dobbie," nor the inspiration of the name.

Nicko, I work from home and will only occasionally have to leave Dobbie for more than a few hours. Probably just a few times a week, and on many of those times I'll be dropping him off with family.

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 pm

He looks lovely and so glad you found another dog, they bring so much joy.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

sassy wrote:He looks lovely and so glad you found another dog, they bring so much joy.

Yes, that's important. They need continuity. A good family, etc., etc.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Don't really know where they got "doby" out of "Dobbie," nor the inspiration of the name.

Nicko, I work from home and will only occasionally have to leave Dobbie for more than a few hours. Probably just a few times a week, and on many of those times I'll be dropping him off with family.
Just as a thought are you sure its not "Dobby "

because of the ears

and he looks braw

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:02 pm

Professor Benny says to be a good boy Dobbie, you have landing a good pad this time.

The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 pm

sassy wrote:Professor Benny says to be a good boy Dobbie, you have landing a good pad this time.

That's a handsome dog as well! With Dobbie (it is "doby," unfortunately, I would have preferred the house elf's name) just when you get to thinking what a nice-looking dog he is he does something comical Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:21 pm

Benny's the same!  Couple of minutes after that photo was taken he'd grabbed hold of the end of the tartan blanket OH was sitting on, pulled until he'd got it, then dashed out into the garden with it trailing between his legs, half fell down the step because his feet got caught up in it, and tried to hide behind the greenhouse.  Needless to say, the blanket had to go in the wash.  He thought it was great fun!

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:24 am

Lovely! He's so adorable!!!

We were thinking of getting a dog. Both of us love greyhounds but I'm worried because I have a toddler and I don't trust dogs and toddlers together.
My daughter is a real animal lover and particularly loves dogs. The trouble is, she has no far at all and will happily stick her fingers in a dog's mouth to count his teeth Rolling Eyes
It's not always fair on the dog when you have an inquisitive three year old, as they might snap and then I won't trust it.

Might wait till she's older.

Your Dobbie is a real sweetie x

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelthelove on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:42 am

Ben, he looks a real cutie I love you nothing like a new doggie friend x

Queen of Smilies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:48 am

Eddie, if you want a dog you can trust with children a Labrador is the best bet. Be prepared for the cost, Vets bills injections, food ect. Labs will stand for any rough play from children.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Greyhounds are much more docile than Labs, having had both, and much easier to look after.  Labs have energy 24/7, especially when they are young.  Greyhounds/lurchers like a good run and then they want to cuddle up and sleep.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 pm

sassy wrote:Greyhounds are much more docile than Labs, having had both, and much easier to look after.  Labs have energy 24/7, especially when they are young.  Greyhounds/lurchers like a good run and then they want to cuddle up and sleep.

Yes sassy we like greyhounds and lurchers. We had a whippet a few years back and my other half had greyhounds as a boy.

We want a lazy dog without too much boundless energy lol and I know greyhounds are lazy little sods lol!

Added to that, greyhounds shed less than a,to of other dogs too and have less of a doggy smell.

My favourite breed is the beagle. They are gorgeous!
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Problems with GREYOUNDS, they are death on 4 legs to small dogs and the like. They have been trained to chase a small animal, takes a lot to train them out of it. They are not strong enough to take a small child trying to "ride" them.
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:34 pm

My brother has a whippet called Dezzie, he's lovely.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:37 pm

nicko wrote:Problems with GREYOUNDS,   they are death on 4 legs to small dogs and the like.  They have been trained to chase a small  animal, takes a lot to train them out of it.    They are not strong enough to take a small child trying to "ride" them.

Absolutely wrong Nicko, my Wally, who was a lurcher, but greyhound lurcher loved all animals, his mate was a cat who used to sit curled up with him and when I walked him on the fields, if there was a sick rabbit (mixi was going around) he used to sit next to it and cry until I came.   The only time you might have a problem is if they have been taught to chase as racers, but you can soon show them no to, they are such lovely gentle dogs.

Not mine, but it was like this:

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Only if they've been trained Nicko

My sis in law has two whippets and they live very happily alongside a cat

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Yep, I had another lurcher before Wally, at the same time I had anothr dog, Drizzie (half welsh collie), two cats and a rat and they all used to sit round the fire together.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

@sassy -- that sounds like something Dobbie would do. The other day I was playing with him and he rolled on his back and captured my hand between all four paws -- then looked like, "now what?"

@eddie, ftl -- thanks Smile

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Keep reading "Dobbie" as "Doobie" and now singing the Doobie Brothers' song pfffffff

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 pm

sassy wrote:Greyhounds are much more docile than Labs, having had both, and much easier to look after.  Labs have energy 24/7, especially when they are young.  Greyhounds/lurchers like a good run and then they want to cuddle up and sleep.

We had two greyhounds (at different times) and they were pretty high-strung. Of course, they were rescued from the track...still legal in Arizona and not a healthy environment.

But you're right...they are the most loving of animals. Yet man, they had to run every day. Took them to the park. People loved to watch them go.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

He settles in nicely; that photo's from about an hour after I brought him home. Really picked a winner with this little guy -- he's smart, sociable, playful and already pretty territorial.

Lovely dog you have there Ben. He very much reminds me of my daughters dog. Exactly the same face, though black but with those big pointy ears. I hope you have many happy fun filled years together.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:14 pm

nicko wrote:Eddie,    if you want a dog you can trust with children  a Labrador is the best bet.   Be prepared for the cost, Vets bills injections, food ect.  Labs will stand for any rough play from children.

Rhodesian ridge-backs are really good too, even better than labs for putting up with kids and they are pretty lazy like greyhound bred for short burst of work.. scaring off lions Cool which is my many 'Aussie pig dogs' have some ridgeback blood in them (plus bull terrier, pit bull etc)

Not sure what it is like in the UK but here if you get a young 'hunting dog' from the RSPCA you can almost guarantee the hunter gave it up because it was too placid and didn't have the killer instinct, which is exactly what you want in house pet. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:14 pm

hey look a ridgeback with a black lab

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:16 pm

I love big dogs, they are soppy because they don't have to be aggressive, they just sit on you if you are doing something they don't agree with.  They look beautiful dogs Veys, you don't see them here much.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 pm

I like those Veya but don't have many lions to hunt round here Neutral

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:47 pm

eddie wrote:I like those Veya but don't have many lions to hunt round here Neutral

they are bred to protect villages/camps from lions, since they see children as their charges to protect, and they are willing to fight a lion they are good dogs to have around Wink they will definitely protect you from those foxes you English are always worried about Razz Razz Razz

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sassy on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

That made me giggle Veya!  We have a fox comes into the garden here, borrows the dogs ball to play with, love to watch him.  He normally comes out when Benny is tucked up for the night, but they have been in the garden a couple of times, wary the first time, had a game the second.  He's quite a young fox.

sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum